New 3.1 Software Available for Raven MTi2 DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New 3.1 Software Available for Raven MTi2 DP

Post by waxman »

Here.... Jameyz is a good guy that does a great job overseeing the support site... http://slate.boards.net/

SixStringGeek wrote:How did you hear about it? I'm on Slate's mailing list and I have a registered Raven and this is the only place I've heard about the update (although I got plenty emails pitching various other plugins and stuff).
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Mine is on order, thanks for being persistent and endorsing this control surface, I am excited but they are way behind in manufacturing. 2 month wait it appears.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

toodamnhip wrote:Mine is on order, thanks for being persistent and endorsing this control surface, I am excited but they are way behind in manufacturing. 2 month wait it appears.
It's all good really, there have been a few brutal bugs in El Capitan, so those have been ironed out, only a few odd ducks remain.
I'm only barely getting into customizing macros for key commands I use all the time that would be best served with them etc. but the faders alone are a real breakthrough in ease of use.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
waxman

Post by waxman »

SixStringGeek wrote:... I have a registered Raven and this is the only place I've heard about the update (although I got plenty emails pitching various other plugins and stuff).
SixString we are in the same town. I gotta come see your place.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

Hi guys, I'm considering pulling the trigger on the Raven MTI 2. Is the way the Raven's mixer doesn't sit on top of DP's mixer channels a problem? Is there any loss in functionality?

Thanks!
Vincent
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
waxman

Post by waxman »

RecordingArts wrote:Hi guys, I'm considering pulling the trigger on the Raven MTI 2. Is the way the Raven's mixer doesn't sit on top of DP's mixer channels a problem? Is there any loss in functionality?

Thanks!
Vincent
Hi Vincent... I got mine in December. I LOVE it. It's completely changed my workflow. I think it's way better NOT to have it sit in a template or overlay. One of the best features of DP in my opinion is to be able to customize window sets.

The BIG MIXER is what I use for the final mix. You can put pics in the channel strip which is better then colors in DP. If you read through that tread it should answer many questions you may have. There are some pics of my set up in this thread.
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/ ... ed10ao.jpg
waxman
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

waxman wrote:
RecordingArts wrote:Hi guys, I'm considering pulling the trigger on the Raven MTI 2. Is the way the Raven's mixer doesn't sit on top of DP's mixer channels a problem? Is there any loss in functionality?

Thanks!
Vincent
Hi Vincent... I got mine in December. I LOVE it. It's completely changed my workflow. I think it's way better NOT to have it sit in a template or overlay. One of the best features of DP in my opinion is to be able to customize window sets.

The BIG MIXER is what I use for the final mix. You can put pics in the channel strip which is better then colors in DP. If you read through that tread it should answer many questions you may have. There are some pics of my set up in this thread.
Ive been waiting for my unit from guitar center for 3 months. Anyone now where I can get one sooner?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

waxman wrote:

Thanks!
Vincent

Thank You!!!
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
waxman

Post by waxman »

Vintage King is shipping them... probably GC will have them in this week. Also Westlake is shipping.
toodamnhip wrote:
waxman wrote:

Thanks!
Vincent

Ive been waiting for my unit from guitar center for 3 months. Anyone now where I can get one sooner?
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

Sweetwater is shipping Raven MTi2 touch screen mixer. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MTi2

waxman
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Got my new raven today. Seems like the instructions on set up are pretty weak. Aloud, I was surprised to see all sorts of audio hook ups in the diagram. I have to fix some other software before working on Raven today, but I wanted to ask whether or not I need all those audio hook ups I see in the diagram or whether it can be used without audio going through the screen until, and just be used as a controller?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
waxman

Post by waxman »

toodamnhip wrote:Got my new raven today. Seems like the instructions on set up are pretty weak. Aloud, I was surprised to see all sorts of audio hook ups in the diagram. I have to fix some other software before working on Raven today, but I wanted to ask whether or not I need all those audio hook ups I see in the diagram or whether it can be used without audio going through the screen until, and just be used as a controller?

No Audio goes through the Raven. Only a USB and HDMI cable to cpu. there is a board and the moderator is Jamey Z. He will help you with anything you need. http://slate.boards.net/

Just remember this is a paradigm shifter. It takes a few days to get the hang.
waxman
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

waxman wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:Got my new raven today. Seems like the instructions on set up are pretty weak. Aloud, I was surprised to see all sorts of audio hook ups in the diagram. I have to fix some other software before working on Raven today, but I wanted to ask whether or not I need all those audio hook ups I see in the diagram or whether it can be used without audio going through the screen until, and just be used as a controller?

No Audio goes through the Raven. Only a USB and HDMI cable to cpu. there is a board and the moderator is Jamey Z. He will help you with anything you need. http://slate.boards.net/

in trying out the unit last night, there were moments I wantEd to take it back, and moments that I was thrilled. You're right, is going to take some time. The question I have now is, on the Raven mixer or even the floating mixer, can I change from touch to trim or latch etc. and the thing that is bugging me right now really that might make me take it back is the feel of the screen. I keep spraying that liquid to keep the screen smooth. After a while, my fingers are starting to feel a bit weird and greasy. If I'm doing guitar tracks, this will not be good. Do you have any advice for keeping the screen smooth and slick? And the last obstacle is going to be where to put the damn thing because it won't sit over my keyboard which is in between the main speakers and it's a bit too big and interferes with the sound of my speakers if I center between them . I will probably have to pull my keyboard out, and still goofing around to get the unit to lie flat enough to not interfere with my sound from the speakers.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
waxman

Post by waxman »

I feel ya dude... Ok let me see if I can help. You only use the screen cleaner once a week. Then just use the cloth and do a quick wipe with the Slate cloth whenever it feels like you need it. I don't have any issues with the screen "feel." I play guitar and keys also.

I started out trying to set the screen flat as possible. Now it's 3/4 lifted and I love it. I had to raise my speakers a bit. I can tell you for sure everything will change ergonomically using the Raven. For me it is a great change but a total paradigm shift.

For some people like Gravity Jim they just could not get it in their flow. I worked on large analog consoles and then used 24 channels of Mackie MCU pro for years so the Raven was a million times better.
Take a look at my set up here... http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx5/ ... mq6gqr.jpg

Notice I use the cutdown DP mixer right above the floating mixer. That is where you need to turn on automation. I've got so I can just do it touch. But changing between automation you will need to set those with the mouse. I only use one automation setting and it works great all the time. Slate will eventually do a skinny floating mixer that lines up with DP mixer. It will also have automation along with solo/record/mute/. I don't use the big mixer until the final mix. Then I use it in automation mode all the time and put the dp mixer on the upper monitor. I use 3 mons total. My third monitor I will eventually replace with a second Raven.

The Raven is my main monitor front and center with only the qwerty keyboard between it and me. I pulled my Komplete Kontrol 61 out from underneath. Kwiz uses his mostly for VI control. On the Slate site there are about 6 pages of people's set ups. Hang in there and you'll get it. I think you will be glad you did.

I use it like this for tracking and the floating mixer for everything but the last level mix... I LOVE the batch commander but it took a few weeks for me to get it wired. Now I can't live without it...

toodamnhip wrote:
waxman wrote:

in trying out the unit last night, there were moments I wantEd to take it back, and moments that I was thrilled. You're right, is going to take some time. The question I have now is, on the Raven mixer or even the floating mixer, can I change from touch to trim or latch etc. and the thing that is bugging me right now really that might make me take it back is the feel of the screen. I keep spraying that liquid to keep the screen smooth. After a while, my fingers are starting to feel a bit weird and greasy. If I'm doing guitar tracks, this will not be good. Do you have any advice for keeping the screen smooth and slick? And the last obstacle is going to be where to put the damn thing because it won't sit over my keyboard which is in between the main speakers and it's a bit too big and interferes with the sound of my speakers if I center between them . I will probably have to pull my keyboard out, and still goofing around to get the unit to lie flat enough to not interfere with my sound from the speakers.
waxman
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I too have a monitor straight above the Raven. And I have slanted the Raven down enough so that I can still see the monitor above the Raven. I am having fun playing with where to place windows now. For example, ANYTHING I want to be screen touch goes to the Raven monitor. This is indeed a whole new paradigm as never before have I had the ability to drag things onto a screen with touch. So I am bringing the SE windows down into the Raven screen so I can use my finger to pencil if delay and reverb automation. Very cool. As I get used to the Raven, I might try comping with my finger tip. As I am sure you are, I am very good at what I do and after this many years doing what I do, I dont know what tasks will go from mouse to finger tip..lol
As far as fingers, I am starting to think that as emotion and pressure and mood come in, my finger tips actually change. So the screen felt fine today, but at one point, it did;t and that was a change in my finger tips. I am think some sort of talcum powder or hand lotion might help, or even hand sanitizer to remove finger sweat/moisture. It is indeed a strange new problem to have. Every year at NAMM Id go touch the Raven and though it was sticky. Now I see it is human grease and individual finger moisture.
My next problem you might be able to advise me on?
THREE monitor. I actual have a THIRD monitor above the 2nd monitor, jury rigged in a stack. My connectors are 1 and 2=mini display, with a 3rd DVI. With two adaptors into the mini display ports, I lost my ability to run the DVI port. Looking this up online, I found this link-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rw6Cgs7p8c
So at this pout, it looks like I need to buy TWO “mini display port dual link DVI” adaptors at 100 each. Except that I am running at least one HDMI if not 2 HDMI’s , so I might need evan a different adaptor. My guess is , this all has to do with voltage and thus, these adaptors run on usb. I have a mid 2010 Maco Pro modified to 12 core, with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB video card.
I would like the 3rd monitor for VE Pro and other VIs.
Do you have any advise on getting 3 monitors to work?
I definitely owe you a beer by now... :D
Dave

PS.
My floating mixer got stuck when I dragged it too high. I cant get to the top of it to pull it down. Ever dealt with this?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13