New 3.1 Software Available for Raven MTi2 DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New 3.1 Software Available for Raven MTi2 DP

Post by waxman »

toodamnhip wrote:I have had to develop a cool trick for accessing the actual data of a given plug-in in the sequence editor. DP has no easy way to do this but I have developed a trick. In ProTools, you can control command click a parameter of a plug-in window and it will go to that exact data for editing. Is there any sort of short cut in the new raven that allows a user to go from a plug-in window, down deep into the sequence editor to pencil in data?
Yeah your index finger...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

waxman wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:I have had to develop a cool trick for accessing the actual data of a given plug-in in the sequence editor. DP has no easy way to do this but I have developed a trick. In ProTools, you can control command click a parameter of a plug-in window and it will go to that exact data for editing. Is there any sort of short cut in the new raven that allows a user to go from a plug-in window, down deep into the sequence editor to pencil in data?
Yeah your index finger...
not when there are 7 plug ins with huge lists of parameters. too slow
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

waxman wrote:Yep it's a nice center piece for clients and that is the best reason to keep it.
Not for me.. I have almost no outside recording clients coming into the music rooms at my studio nowadays. Even when I did, I never cared what they thought of the gear I used. If gear is what they were wanting to pay for, they needed to find someone else, probably someone who uses Protools. I would rather impress with the music that comes out of here, than watch people salivating over my mixer.

If I wanted a Slate touchscreen, I would scrape up the $$ and get one. I would add it to my system, not replace my system with it. My biggest holdback has been that I look all day at a 60" computer screen that requires me to look straight ahead and slightly up. It saves my neck a lot of stress. Getting a little 27" monitor I can touch would require looking down all day, which means more trips to the chiropractor. Touching any screen at eye-level is problematic for the arms, not really doable.
For "summing." I sum through a Neve 8816. I am 100% with you on ITB vs. OTB. The Slate Virtual Console Collection is pretty fierce. I still would not loose a summer but having those in the inserts sounds very desky.
Yep, got the VCC when it first came out (was still ITB at that time). It saved a couple records. I love the API emulation..
The SSL Matrix is a nice desk but.... will never be worth more then it is today.
The worth in mine is in the value I place on it. I can track a vocal with zero latency to the singer. I have analog control over all gain stages, including to tape (recording). I can patch multiple hardware to multiple channels, or combinations, without a patchbay. As I said before, I have a complete center section with multiple analog and digital sourcing and summing. Also I have multiple monitor outs and complete talkback control, with separate sourcing and control room referencing for the studio monitor, and the ability to use "supercue" for more studio monitor control. I have all of this in a single unit, aside from any controller aspects.

The way I see it, If the Matrix is going for $10k, I should absolutely keep it because I cannot replace all of what I wrote above in a quality way for less money than that. Even if I could, it would be in several little pieces, instead of one "core" instrument.

I have not tried the 27 inch Raven, only the bigger one (42"?). It seems like it would be fantastic for working with plugins. Hopefully I will get to try one out someday.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Killahurts wrote:
My biggest holdback has been that I look all day at a 60" computer screen that requires me to look straight ahead and slightly up. It saves my neck a lot of stress. Getting a little 27" monitor I can touch would require looking down all day, which means more trips to the chiropractor. Touching any screen at eye-level is problematic for the arms, not really doable.

I have not tried the 27 inch Raven, only the bigger one (42"?). It seems like it would be fantastic for working with plugins. Hopefully I will get to try one out someday.
I was very concerned about the ergonomics of the Raven and that it would be looking down and hurt my neck... I bought it fully thinking for $999 I might lose a couple hundred so the risk was not that bad... FORTUNATELY THE ERGONOMICS ARE NOT AN ISSUE...

The way it sits I don't look down, my arms rest on my chair or on the arm rest. I have no issue with neck pain, arm pain or back pain. It's totally different then a console. The angle and feel is magical. The 27" sit's so close it is much better then the 42". Adjusting plugs by finger instead of mouse is so much better. When a plug is not designed for touch I go right to the mouse. I edit using the magic mouse especially when I am doing tight moves like pitch fix. The mouse to the touch screen to the machine controls and the Batch Commander just flows. It is all so customizable. Having everything that close actually cuts down on my eyestrain.

For input I use the UAD mixer as my input along with Focusrite ISA pre's and Apollo 16s. I have no latency and the UAD mixer is 1 one keystroke away and it's touch screen. My input section is absolutely amazing. The unison mic pre's and all the plugs are right in front of me with one touch is incredible. The Raven makes it all possible. One keystroke and I'm back to the recorder. It's a no brainer.

Believe I have tried everything. The Raven is just simply the best I could find.

Killahurts I'm not really sure why you are on this thread. I was just letting others on the forum that have Raven's know the new software was out. First I thought you were into the Raven then not and promoting the SSL Matrix. I'm still not sure but until you try the Raven MTI2. I'm glad to give any feed back but without your getting your hands on one this is all just intellectual soufflé. Good luck my friend...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

This is a wonderful thread and I am happy to see this discussion. I have a question about the Raven... Can you run a second monitor? I still prefer to be able to see windows and run other applications with a traditional monitor set-up. What do you use for a monitor controller? I'm planning to add a Mackie Big Knob. I'm also curious to know if it will play nice with a PreSonus FaderPort. Any chance you (or another Raven user) can post a/some video(s)?
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

waxman wrote:Killahurts I'm not really sure why you are on this thread. I was just letting others on the forum that have Raven's know the new software was out. First I thought you were into the Raven then not and promoting the SSL Matrix. I'm still not sure but until you try the Raven MTI2. I'm glad to give any feed back but without your getting your hands on one this is all just intellectual soufflé. Good luck my friend...
I am genuinely interested in the Raven, and its workflow. I've been eying the MTi2 for a few months, to see how things progress. I compose for a living, and when another professional tells me I ought to hook out my board and sell it to get one of these, I do sit up and take notice. Your setup with the Neve and Apollo and Raven is very nice, I would never dis it. Could I record an album with your setup? Yes I could..

But we were originally talking about MCU software and limitations, which are common to all of these systems, and I really don't want to compare a touchscreen controller to an analog console, especially one you proudly passed on.. my console, as a controller, is so-so. I have to use the mouse a lot more than I want to, but I would with the Slate system as well. That's why I've been watching the threads here about Raven, as I am a DP user first and foremost. I use Slate plugins all the time, love them, and the company. I believe it's a solid product, but I'm not sure what it could add to my workflow. To answer your question, that's why I'm here on this thread.

And since you don't personally know me, you should know that the prehistoric shark fin in the back of my neck goes straight up when someone implies that I keep an expensive piece of gear for the sake of impressing hourly clients, and not solely for how it helps the music I create. It's not your fault Wax, it's mine. The older I get, the more important the music becomes, and the less important the tools (unless they're just not there).

And seriously, I'm mixing an album by kids right now. If I'll still have to use the mouse to tune the vocals and instruments, I ain't spending a thousand bucks just yet! :lol:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

waxman wrote:
Believe I have tried everything. The Raven is just simply the best I could find.

Killahurts I'm not really sure why you are on this thread. I was just letting others on the forum that have Raven's know the new software was out. First I thought you were into the Raven then not and promoting the SSL Matrix. I'm still not sure but until you try the Raven MTI2. I'm glad to give any feed back but without your getting your hands on one this is all just intellectual soufflé. Good luck my friend...
So the Raven is the best you could find and you like it - that's okay. So killahurts and others don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread - that's cool as well. It's good to see a healthy debate on the pros and cons of each device and that shouldn't be stifled.

I like souffle as well but don't let the oven door slam and the whole thing collapses. :wink:

corrected 'sightest' to 'greatest' which was supposed to be my original writing.
Last edited by musicman691 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waxman

Post by waxman »

dwilliams wrote:This is a wonderful thread and I am happy to see this discussion. I have a question about the Raven... Can you run a second monitor? I still prefer to be able to see windows and run other applications with a traditional monitor set-up. What do you use for a monitor controller? I'm planning to add a Mackie Big Knob. I'm also curious to know if it will play nice with a PreSonus FaderPort. Any chance you (or another Raven user) can post a/some video(s)?
You can run multiple monitors. I use the Raven with two other monitors. You can also run multiple Ravens.

Here is Monkey Man guest engineering... :headbang:
waxman
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

NICE!

I guess I owe it to myself to try one of these out, whenever I can get the budget.. plus whatever the wait time is.

It seems to me that the MTi2 is essentially a regular 1920X1080 monitor, with all the touch stuff going over USB 2. That means it probably would work in my setup. In the machine room, I split the video into 4 HDMI signals and send them over CAT 6 to the control room and studio, where there are receivers and displays. So, the same signal over multiple displays. If the Raven can become one of those displays, with the USB 2.0 extensions (also over CAT 6) and still remain in sync, it could be very cool.

I found this video, watching it now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM6aXPfDI9w

Hopefully, they will show actual editing of MIDI and audio..
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

Thanks! So cool that you can turn into a gorilla (lol). Another question... Do you think it is feasible to have a keyboard controller, computer keyboard, (small) arm rest, Raven and monitor lined up the center and still have good ergonomics and visibility?
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Hey Waxie... what graphics card is in your Mac? Is it the stock ATI 5770?

Are you running two DP monitors and the Raven connected with DVI?
waxman

Post by waxman »

dwilliams wrote:Thanks! So cool that you can turn into a gorilla (lol). Another question... Do you think it is feasible to have a keyboard controller, computer keyboard, (small) arm rest, Raven and monitor lined up the center and still have good ergonomics and visibility?
It really depends on the keyboard. If the piano keyboard has a spot for the qwerty keyboard in the center no problem. Definitely if a music controller keyboard slides in and out. That is the next step for me key under desk. My elbows sit on my armrest while I touch most of the screen...
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:Hey Waxie... what graphics card is in your Mac? Is it the stock ATI 5770?

Are you running two DP monitors and the Raven connected with DVI?

Yes stock card. Raven HDMI, Apple 27 Cinema Tbolt. LG 34" ultrawide is HDMI from Tbolt adapter...
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

From tech support at Slate
"There are many plans for Raven in the future, jog wheel, surround panner, etc..."
waxman
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

How did you hear about it? I'm on Slate's mailing list and I have a registered Raven and this is the only place I've heard about the update (although I got plenty emails pitching various other plugins and stuff).
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.