DP 9.1?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.1?

Post by williemyers »

here's a stroll down memory lane... Performer v. 1.2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT-6SpQSKKs
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
waxman

Post by waxman »

what year would that be?

This is as far as my orders go back on Motu.com But I did the Jane Child record in late 1986 on Performer syncing it to a 24 track 2" with a beta version of a MIDI Man SMPTE generator. Stripe channel 24 of the 2" and performer locked perfectly to tape. It was frightening how powerful those next few years were.

Order 20502 ordered on 02/02/1993 (view 1 line item)
Item Qty Price Total
Performer 4 upgrade from previous version 1 $0.00 $0.00
Serial numbers upgraded: -----------
Merchandise total: $199.95
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Order total: $199.95
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

how about this one... hahahha

still download the update here... http://www.motu.com/download/download_m ... oduct_id=9

Order 4810 ordered on 02/22/1999 (view 1 lineitem)
Item Qty Price Total
Composer's Mosaic 1.5 upgrade from previous version 1 $99.00 $99.00
Serial numbers upgraded: MCU3***
Merchandise total: $99.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $10.00
Order total: $109.00
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:
williemyers wrote:can I get a little love for "Professional Composer"? :wink: :wink:
Many wish that MOTU loved it enough to port it to OS X.
I think it's Mosaic [Composer's Mosaic to be accurate] that we want ported to OS X. Professional Composer was a stepping stone, and a loosely balanced one, at that. I think everyone was learning from that experience, including the people who made Finale. After I'd print out scores in Composer, I'd spend another hour adding markings that were difficult to impossible to add in the app, or which just didn't look good when printed. It showed us what was possible, but it needed to be rewritten from the ground, up. Nevertheless, it WAS the world's first hi-resolution engraving software for personal computers. Gotta give credit where it's due!

Mosaic was brilliant by comparison. I even prefer Mosaic to Finale or Sibelius for just jotting down some music and getting a lead sheet printed, quickly. Mosaic was quite simply the MacDraw of engraving software. SO easy to use. Very stable. Only a few limitations in normal usage, and mostly with advanced, modern notation, which I wasn't using much. Mosaic died with the Power PC. It was a sad day for me, and in reaction to it, I just did my scores in DP from then on, up to about 2 or 3 years ago, when I finally got Sibelius. Hey, if you can print a score in Professional Composer, you can do it in DP without complaining!

The most useful tool in Composer was the Pen. I don't mean that it had a pen tool. I mean pen & ink, after the fact! One could say the same for DP, but it's a DAW! It's fine. Just give me Sibelius, these days, and I'm happy.

Shooshie
PS: one brilliant factor in Mosaic was that you could export pages to MacDraw. In MacDraw you could add anything that you couldn't do in Mosaic!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

waxman wrote:what year would that be?
Performer 1.2 was late 1986- early 1987.

You may have seen this, but here it is again, just in case. It just happened that I had saved all the things that MOTU had sent me over the years, because it felt like it was kind of history-in-the-making. Also, I sometimes needed to refer to things I could only find in their advertising, and that was the era before public internet. (PPP would only come around in about 1991 or 1992) We were able to use a lot of that in this PDF.

DP Timeline, 1985 - 2008 (clicking the link will download a 22.4MB pdf file)

Enjoy,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie wrote:
waxman wrote:what year would that be?
Performer 1.2 was late 1986- early 1987.

You may have seen this, but here it is again, just in case. It just happened that I had saved all the things that MOTU had sent me over the years, because it felt like it was kind of history-in-the-making. Also, I sometimes needed to refer to things I could only find in their advertising, and that was the era before public internet. (PPP would only come around in about 1991 or 1992) We were able to use a lot of that in this PDF.

DP Timeline, 1985 - 2008 (clicking the link will download a 22.4MB pdf file)

Enjoy,

Shooshie
I had not seen that. Thanks Shooshie. What wonderful walk down memory lane. I must have said wow 10 times scrolling through the pdf you made. I started laughing when I saw the FreeMidi page. I bet you still have all the manuals...

BRILLIANT... thanks brotherman
waxman
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

waxman wrote:...Stripe channel 24 of the 2" and performer locked perfectly to tape.
but don't forget to leave channel 23 blank for SMPTE bleed! :wink: :wink:
waxman wrote:It was frightening how powerful those next few years were.
well put, man
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Especially with a Fostex A8 or B-16! ;-)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Ooh. Jane Child..."Don't wanna fall in love" love that track!

|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Martini Hill wrote:Especially with a Fostex A8 or B-16! ;-)

Among the analog machines in my basement is a TASCAM 238S in perfect working order, complete with remote. Striping channel 8 let it sync perfectly. With Dolby S, it sounded better than many 1/2" eight channel machines I used. Best sounding multi-channel cassette deck ever, IMO. I used it to back up live recordings to DP 2.x and 3.x just in case...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Yes! Had one too! I seem to recall that you could disengage the Dolby on trk 8 for better MIDI/smpte code tracking. I did an album with that deck, and a QX3 sequencer on a beach in a SC state campground! :-D

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Martini Hill wrote:Yes! Had one too! I seem to recall that you could disengage the Dolby on trk 8 for better MIDI/smpte code tracking. I did an album with that deck, and a QX3 sequencer on a beach in a SC state campground! :-D

Yes, same with the dBx version. The S cost $100 more new—to most, it sounded better. I used these Sony cassettes with a ceramic guide. OK, I don't really miss analog but that was a sweet little machine.

As I mentioned, I still used mine as a safety in the '90s when recording to the early versions of DP on my Beige G3. Never had to use those tapes as DP never crashed on me during the record process. Mixing was something else.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Heh heh. Fun stuff! Yep, before leaping into the Adat years, I did similar backups to my Mac 7300 via a Korg 1212 card using Audio Desk. I didn't get into DP until DP4. Before all of that I started with hardware sequencers QX-5, QX-3, MC500's until I bought a Commodore 64 and a Sequential Circuit 6trk card. From there it was Vision on an SE and then Cakewalk. Jeez what a ride. Believe it or not, I still have some of this stuff! :-D

waxman

Post by waxman »

Martini Hill wrote:Heh heh. Fun stuff! Yep, before leaping into the Adat years, I did similar backups to my Mac 7300 via a Korg 1212 card using Audio Desk. I didn't get into DP until DP4. Before all of that I started with hardware sequencers QX-5, QX-3, MC500's until I bought a Commodore 64 and a Sequential Circuit 6trk card. From there it was Vision on an SE and then Cakewalk. Jeez what a ride. Believe it or not, I still have some of this stuff! :-D

The model 64 sequencer for the Commodore 64 was developed in 1982 for Dave Smith Sequential Circuits in Laguna Beach. Tim Ryan (third street software) who later went on to found midiman that became M-Audio led the charge. I was part of the team working on it. I would use it with my band "Brand New World" playing the local club scene. People flipped because it gave us that crazy machine dance groove. Used to put King Sunny Ade style guitar grooves to pop songs. People would go off cause it was so hypnotic and new for the time. I don't think the word loop was in our vocabulary. But that was it LOOPS because the memory was so limited. The sequencer only contained 2200 events. So if I used the mod wheel a few times it used up all the memory. What wonderful times those were. I had no idea how ground breaking a time it was. That said the tools today are SO awesome. I love firing up the rig in the morning and making music. The Slate Raven and touch screen and soon to be DP 9.2 are as ground breaking IMO. No latency, unlimited tracks, great plugs like UAD etc. Man it has been fun!!! Anybody in this biz is blessed. Just hearing Prince died... gotta go...
waxman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I used it to back up live recordings to DP 2.x and 3.x just in case...
I had one too. But I used it the other way around: I backed up mixes from Cubase Atari Falcon to it. Seems an odd thing to do now.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8