DP 9.1?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Martini Hill
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.1?

Post by Martini Hill »

waxman wrote:
Martini Hill wrote:Heh heh. Fun stuff! Yep, before leaping into the Adat years, I did similar backups to my Mac 7300 via a Korg 1212 card using Audio Desk. I didn't get into DP until DP4. Before all of that I started with hardware sequencers QX-5, QX-3, MC500's until I bought a Commodore 64 and a Sequential Circuit 6trk card. From there it was Vision on an SE and then Cakewalk. Jeez what a ride. Believe it or not, I still have some of this stuff! :-D

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
The model 64 sequencer for the Commodore 64 was developed in 1982 for Dave Smith Sequential Circuits in Laguna Beach. Tim Ryan (third street software) who later went on to found midiman that became M-Audio led the charge. I was part of the team working on it. I would use it with my band "Brand New World" playing the local club scene. People flipped because it gave us that crazy machine dance groove. Used to put King Sunny Ade style guitar grooves to pop songs. People would go off cause it was so hypnotic and new for the time. I don't think the word loop was in our vocabulary. But that was it LOOPS because the memory was so limited. The sequencer only contained 2200 events. So if I used the mod wheel a few times it used up all the memory. What wonderful times those were. I had no idea how ground breaking a time it was. That said the tools today are SO awesome. I love firing up the rig in the morning and making music. The Slate Raven and touch screen and soon to be DP 9.2 are as ground breaking IMO. No latency, unlimited tracks, great plugs like UAD etc. Man it has been fun!!! Anybody in this biz is blessed. Just hearing Prince died... gotta go...
Very cool! I still have the large floppy disks with a bunch of sequences as well as a SC Drumtrax machine. Funny, I would spend a whole day on a sequence and if I wasn't careful with static electricity and touched my keyboard stand without discharging, the whole sequence would get zapped from its memory!

|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Michael Canavan wrote:Cue toodamnhip in ten, minus nine seconds!

In all seriousness though, 9 is stable enough for me, but nowhere near as bug free as 7 or 8 were.
I'm chalking it into under the hood changes and expect that most bugs are squashed when 9.1 comes out. Example bugs are mute automation, snapshot bugs, disappearing tracks, and virtual instrument bugs related to MIDI out vi's.
Did someone call? :mumble: :rofl:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

waxman wrote:
Shooshie wrote:
waxman wrote:what year would that be?
Performer 1.2 was late 1986- early 1987.

You may have seen this, but here it is again, just in case. It just happened that I had saved all the things that MOTU had sent me over the years, because it felt like it was kind of history-in-the-making. Also, I sometimes needed to refer to things I could only find in their advertising, and that was the era before public internet. (PPP would only come around in about 1991 or 1992) We were able to use a lot of that in this PDF.

DP Timeline, 1985 - 2008 (clicking the link will download a 22.4MB pdf file)

Enjoy,

Shooshie
I had not seen that. Thanks Shooshie. What wonderful walk down memory lane. I must have said wow 10 times scrolling through the pdf you made. I started laughing when I saw the FreeMidi page. I bet you still have all the manuals...

BRILLIANT... thanks brotherman
For my part in the project, you're welcome! But now I'm in the awkward position of trying to remember the name of the person who actually made the PDF. I sent him a boatload of scans, but he did all the work of putting it together and making it fit in less than 23MB space, a far cry from the size of the scans I sent him. Only in digital is it possible to put a hundred gallons of something into a one quart container! I keep thinking that his name will come to me, and it will, but probably not for a while. Oh wait... I remember what he went by here: Flashgerkin. Whew! My memory is not as far gone as I thought! I think he also goes by wvandyck.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waxman

Post by waxman »

Flashgerkin.... what a great name. Sounds like a Swedish superhero. ahahah
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

You guys are hilarious!

I've not gone to DP9 yet, although I tried the demo and appreciate its XML export feature. I'm still on 8.07 in Yosemite for the heavy lifting. It feels pretty stable.

I'll probably go to DP9 later this year, but I really want to see what's going on with OSX first.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
waxman

Post by waxman »

Frodo's in the house... waaaassss Uuuuuuppppp? hobbit
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

waxman wrote:Flashgerkin.... what a great name. Sounds like a Swedish superhero. ahahah
or a very fresh pickle? Mmmmm... pickle...

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Wow! Haven't heard hide nor much hair from Frodo in a long time!!!

|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

You guys seemed to be holding down the fort quite well!

Honestly, I've had some mishaps with DP and OSX that sent me back to Tiger and DP 5.x for long while. I didn't feel qualified to talk about DP 6 or 7 as everyone here was delving into all the new features. I just felt dumb.

But I must say that DP8 in Yosemite feels pretty good on this end. I am a little skiddish about Fuji (10.12) and what that means for my plugins, but I'll keep lurking here for info.

Miss you folks!

:unicorn:
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Frodo!
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Frodo wrote:You guys seemed to be holding down the fort quite well!

Honestly, I've had some mishaps with DP and OSX that sent me back to Tiger and DP 5.x for long while. I didn't feel qualified to talk about DP 6 or 7 as everyone here was delving into all the new features. I just felt dumb.

But I must say that DP8 in Yosemite feels pretty good on this end. I am a little skiddish about Fuji (10.12) and what that means for my plugins, but I'll keep lurking here for info.

Miss you folks!

:unicorn:
I think that 5.13 was my favorite version overall. I still keep it on a G4 running Tiger. Some of the newer plugs I use are not compatible and that's the real reason I moved on.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

I feel your pain Frodo but, on the other hand, I have learned so much (as well as from others here) from your expertise and input! Here's to hoping for more from you! Cheers! J

Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Martini Hill wrote:I feel your pain Frodo but, on the other hand, I have learned so much (as well as from others here) from your expertise and input! Here's to hoping for more from you! Cheers! J
Man. That means a lot. I learn a lot from you guys as well and I am grateful for the info. Thanks MH!

:woohoo:
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

mikehalloran wrote:I think that 5.13 was my favorite version overall. I still keep it on a G4 running Tiger. Some of the newer plugs I use are not compatible and that's the real reason I moved on.
It still kicks tail for me. I don't know what all the interim years of dysfunction have been about. With some of my plugins, it's been about waiting past anyone's "point zero". But of late I've just had to dump a bunch of VIs and plugins in the name of moving on and staying productive.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

The Hobbit Abides. 8)