Multiple audio interfaces

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
LittleJJ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Multiple audio interfaces

Post by LittleJJ »

Anyone try this? Using an Apollo firewire interface and a Focusrite Scarlet 1820 at the same time with DP9.
THe Focusrite has Wordclock in/out so I should be able to sync from the Apollo, but I wonder if the Focusrite interface application and UAD "Console" will be able to co-exist.
THANKS!
2023 M1 Ultra (yay!)
Apollo interface
A few thousand plugs
A half million guitars and 10 million stompboxes
Tubes
Electricity
bayswater

Re: Multiple audio interfaces

Post by bayswater »

Not those two interfaces in particular, but I usually have more than one interface connected, and one is a Scarlett. The other can be a MOTU FW, Lexicon USB, Soundflower or internal audio. If they are both compatible with Core Audio, which is necessary to have them work at all with DP, just Shift Click them in the Setup menu where you select the audio interface, and designate one of them as the master for timing/clocking.

You might want to set the host buffer multiplier to 2. All is explained in the Getting Started manual.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

I regularly use three ULN-8 interfaces connected to DP and have done so for years, no problems.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
LittleJJ

Post by LittleJJ »

Thanks for the helpful responses. I'm encouraged. Do folks use a BNC cable
To synchorize their interfaces with word clock?
2023 M1 Ultra (yay!)
Apollo interface
A few thousand plugs
A half million guitars and 10 million stompboxes
Tubes
Electricity
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

LittleJJ wrote:Thanks for the helpful responses. I'm encouraged. Do folks use a BNC cable
To synchorize their interfaces with word clock?
I use a BNC between a MOTU 828-3 and a 2408-2. In theory I could use ADAT, but that doesn't work reliably on my setup.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Yes. WC. But last year I had trouble with the 3rd box syncing so I used AES/EBU with that one. But I had used WC fir many years on all three boxes. I don't know whether the problem is still there or what it is but I just left it like that. Box 1-2 WC and box 3 AES.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..