Trim tool won't snap to grid

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Trim tool won't snap to grid

Post by swpowe »

For the life of me I can't figure this out. I'm trying to edit some audio (which I don't often do in DP) and I can't get the trim tool to snap to the grid. I double click a soundbite in the track view, it opens in the sequence view, I select the trim tool and I attempt to simply drag the beginning of the soundbite to the nearest downbeat and it won't snap. I've got an oddly timed soundbite and i want to make sure it actually starts on the downbeat so when I drag it around it stays in time. Am I going about this the wrong way? Does the trim tool not snap to the grid? I have grid snapping turned on but i just doesn't work.

thanks.
Tritonemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Trim tool won't snap to grid

Post by Tritonemusic »

Try holding down the Command button while you Trim. Keep the Grid enabled.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
swpowe

Post by swpowe »

Thank You! I thought I'd tried every key combination. I looked in the "commands" section but I somehow missed this.

Thanks!
swpowe

Post by swpowe »

Followup Question. Is there a way to get this same kind of behavior with MIDI editing? For example, I'm in the MIDI editor and I'm trying to clean up a played in performance and when I try to drag some of the notes around, they don't snap to the next grid line, the stay in their same position relative. Sometimes I want that but usually I want to slide to the next grid mark. Again, grid is turned on, I've tried the command key and it's not working as I'd expect.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

swpowe wrote:Followup Question. Is there a way to get this same kind of behavior with MIDI editing? For example, I'm in the MIDI editor and I'm trying to clean up a played in performance and when I try to drag some of the notes around, they don't snap to the next grid line, the stay in their same position relative. Sometimes I want that but usually I want to slide to the next grid mark. Again, grid is turned on, I've tried the command key and it's not working as I'd expect.
The fastest way to align a MIDI note with the grid is to type in its location as one of the numbers that share a factor with the timeline resolution. Thus, 000, 120, 240, or 360 for 16th notes. 000 or 240 for 8th notes. Then the notes will slide to any other relative position on the grid.

DP does not do a "snap to grid" sort of quantization like most DAWs do. You learn that DPs way gives you other alternatives and options, though admittedly it's not for quantization. Still, it's very easy to select an entire range of notes and snap to quantize by using the Quantize dialog. It's arguably a lot faster than dragging, anyway.

Nevertheless, people complain. Not me; I'd never use a snap-to-grid, or at least rarely. Quantize is so much faster with so many more options and probably fewer notes to correct when doing a large number of them. So, with DP's grid, you have options of moving notes to the same position in other bars or beats, which comes in extremely handily when you are drag-copying notes to create runs or patterns. So easy!

Quantize for absolute grid.
Command-Drag (or turn on grid) for relative grid.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|