New Metagrid for iOS control of DAW....do me a favor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
NYFC
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: New Metagrid for iOS control of DAW....do me a favor

Post by NYFC »

$14.99 available now. It appears DP didn't make 1.0, although the developer stated that it would come in one of the first updates. In the meantime you could certainly create your own DP scenes.
iMac 5k 4.0ghz 32gigs
3 Mac mini slaves
VSL,EastWest Hollywood, LASS, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Well this is interesting as it might be a good replacement for Keypad Pro which is discontinued.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Liking so I can find this thread more easily in the next day or so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

bralston

New Metagrid for iOS control of DAW....do me a favor

Post by bralston »

Thank you everyone. I think we have some success here. They reached out to me after my initial email and asked if I would be willing to help give input. I also got them in contact with the MOTU folks directly. This may be a great "Lemur alternative" that is easier to set up once they have that communication conduit built in. Now we all just have to deliver on our requests and actually buy it when it comes out for us. But at $15 it seems like a no brainer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by bralston on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Sweet. Thanks for the news Brian.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
groove

Post by groove »

The app is brilliant!

Very easy to setup, the small OSX bridge Metaserver is unobtrusive and doesn't seem to conflict with Lemur Daemon.

When you switch application in OS X , the view in Metagrid follows and shows the grid of commands for this app. There are screens already made for the Finder, Safari, UAD Console 2.0, Logic and so on.

I start configuring a screen for DP but reading that the developper is planning to add DP quickly is fantastic.

I use Composer Tools on the Lemur along side Metagrid and there doesn't seem to be any conflict.

All in all, a great combo.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just to play devil's advocate a little here; is there a point of diminishing returns?

With input devices; qwerty, mouse/trackpad, MIDI controller; I'm wondering if it is workflow-efficient to reach for yet another input device for shortcuts.

I can see how it would be helpful for someone who doesn't have a bunch of shortcuts memorized. But it is hard to imagine it being quicker to leave the keyboard and then tap the iPad screen (especially when sometimes tapping the iPad screen takes more than one try).

But I can see how as a semi-remote, this could be useful.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:Just to play devil's advocate a little here; is there a point of diminishing returns?
I agree to some extent, but like having a zillion EQ plugins, each of these things has a niche. I had a Tranzport I used when I wanted to be some distance from the computer. Keeping that working is PITA, so something like Custom keypad, or Metagrid becomes a reasonable alternative, especially if you already have the iPad anyway. When near the computer, I never used the Tranzport, and doubt I'll use the iPad.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
groove

Post by groove »

stubbsonic wrote:Just to play devil's advocate a little here; is there a point of diminishing returns?

With input devices; qwerty, mouse/trackpad, MIDI controller; I'm wondering if it is workflow-efficient to reach for yet another input device for shortcuts.

I can see how it would be helpful for someone who doesn't have a bunch of shortcuts memorized. But it is hard to imagine it being quicker to leave the keyboard and then tap the iPad screen (especially when sometimes tapping the iPad screen takes more than one try).
Having to work on a daily basis with dozens of orchestral libraries and instruments, each with their own set of articulations and cc controls, there is honestly a finite number of commands keystrokes, MIDI notes and cc's one can or want to remember. The iPad sits on my MIDI controller. Composer Tools allows me in a flash to call the layout for a specific instrument with all its articulations and cc controls so I can concentrate on the writing. If Metagrid can allow me this with DP, the more the merrier.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This is great news! Any victory for DP users is a step forward! I love this: "(we were pleasantly surprised by DP)." From my experience, most of DP's detractors haven't used it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

groove wrote: Having to work on a daily basis with dozens of orchestral libraries and instruments, each with their own set of articulations and cc controls, there is honestly a finite number of commands keystrokes, MIDI notes and cc's one can or want to remember. The iPad sits on my MIDI controller. Composer Tools allows me in a flash to call the layout for a specific instrument with all its articulations and cc controls so I can concentrate on the writing. If Metagrid can allow me this with DP, the more the merrier.
Thanks. Yea, it seems pretty clear that this takes some basic functionalities like the iPad pretending to be a qwerty, a MIDI source, and a macro generator, AND allows it to sense the upfront app, AND it puts it all in a pretty slick package-- I get it now.

If it could perform some of the most necessary remote functions (i.e., counter, peak indicators, track arm/disarm indicators, etc), that would be a huge bonus.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

How does this compare to TouchOSC? Advantages/Disadvantages?
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

My only problem with an iPad solution is that your eyes have to leave your targeted work every time you use the commands. Unlike other hardware, the iPad gives you no landmarks. You have to locate each control, every single time you make a move.

But I'll buy this just to be supportive. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up using it every day!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a good point.

It would be cool if this could be used as kind of a "training wheels" thing. The icon or name underneath could display the default keystrokes (or your custom one). This way, you could use the app to trigger the command until you memorize it. As soon as you memorize it you could move it off to page 2 (in case you need reminding later).

I think my eyes move around quite a bit when I work, so glancing at the iPad wouldn't necessarily break my stride for some things. But for display specific things like zooming, scrolling or nudging, I simply wouldn't use it for that.

dave pine

Post by dave pine »

done
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump