New Metagrid for iOS control of DAW....do me a favor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Metagrid for iOS control of DAW....do me a favor

Post by bralston »

Shooshie wrote:My only problem with an iPad solution is that your eyes have to leave your targeted work every time you use the commands. Unlike other hardware, the iPad gives you no landmarks. You have to locate each control, every single time you make a move.

But I'll buy this just to be supportive. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up using it every day!

Shoosh
There are a lot of iPad holders out there similar to this one where you can essentially place the iPad next to the screen in front of you. (Thinking perhaps right in front of where you right hand and mouse would be anyway.) And it would be angled in front next to the computer screen with DP where that look-away would not be so much.

https://www.thoughtout.biz/stabile-2-0- ... fgod7gwHZw
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:How does this compare to TouchOSC? Advantages/Disadvantages?
Any takers?
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

Being a LEMUR user, I'm really looking forward to this...LEMUR is great for all of my cc fader needs and specialty controllers like "Tap Tempo," "Harp Controller" etc., but where it does fall short is on the "button" side. The obvious work around is using Osculator and it works well, BUT Metagrid will be a great add on and replacement for Osculator.

Since Metagrid doesn't support faders (just buttons) I'm planning on adding a second iPad and dedicating it to Metagrid while I reconfigure the LEMUR iPad to handle what it does best. I think the combo of the two together will be extremely powerful and make my workflow even better than what it is now, since adding LEMUR.
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

Just saw this! If you get a chance go to their FB page and "like" it...let 'em know that it's appreciated!

We are working hard on DP support - all DP commands have been compiled and a dedicated key bindings file has been created. The only piece left is the predefined viewset and we are ready to go:-).

https://www.facebook.com/metasystem.io/?fref=nf
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

I've been corresponding with Przemek Mieszkowski from Metasystems and I asked him if there was any chance that Metagrid may include faders in the near future because in my opinion it would make this software the "Holy Grail" of controller software and eliminate my need for LEMURE. Here was his reply....

Hi Rob,

I am really happy you like Metagrid for iOS. And I have got good news for your - yes, Metagrid will feature additional view types that could be assign to scenes - including configurable and easy to use CC faders sets in various configurations. We will implement the first additional module (CC faders and CC faders combined with buttons) in v1.2 - we hope to have it ready in May.

And we are finishing the DP support plus a great comprehensive DP viewset - we will send Metagrid v1.1 to Apple for review this week.

Have a great day!

SO, I'm really excited about the future and possibilities with this software...thought you'd want to know! :D
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
bralston

Post by bralston »

https://youtu.be/X9z4A8J4FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I started another thread for the release. Looks pretty good in the YouTube vidi...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea. It looks like they really rolled up their sleeves and did their homework. It's really hard NOT to support a developer with such a thorough approach.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Dang! I still have the original iPad so my iOS can't handle this. Looking forward to reports from the field.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:Yea. It looks like they really rolled up their sleeves and did their homework. It's really hard NOT to support a developer with such a thorough approach.
Agreed. This looks like it's well done. I'm sold. Hope they are able to add faders and knobs at some point. Would be good for a paid version upgrade.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Does anyone know where I can locate the folder where the commands/Key Bindings are stored?

I got this app, but before I import their key bindings, I want to make a copy of what I use now. They say in the video that it will not delete your "default" bindings, only add to them. But I have more than the default- I have programmed many of my own to buttons on my console, which mostly trigger keyboard macros.

I could export the bindings from the command window, and I indeed have.. but if things go wrong I don't feel confident only reimporting them. With all the merging and stuff that could potentially happen, I don't want to risk it. I never have had a good understanding about what happens when one imports/exports out of the commands window.. when I import the Metagrid bindings, I want them merged, but if something goes wrong and I needed to reimport my bindings, I would want it to replace..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

I bet if you emailed the vendor they'd tell you. He was very responsive to my emails. Can't wait to update the damn iPad.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I bet if you emailed the vendor they'd tell you. He was very responsive to my emails. Can't wait to update the damn iPad.
Yeah, probably do that tomorrow.. I'm really excited about this app, hope it works with my existing setup.

If I were to get a new iPad, I think I would have to get iPad Pro, the big one. I was at the store looking at one a few days ago.. that screen.. it was like a movie about a nebula or something, felt like I could've stuck my arm down in there and it would be in space!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It just occurred to me that I've dealt with the problem of having no tactile landmarks on the iPad. Back when I was testing a lot of iOS DAWs, I took Post-It Notes® and cut little strips of the sticky part with scissors. I had made about 3 or 4 tiny strips, with variously placed "bunches" (folded end or middle) to help identify them by touch. I can't believe I'm only now remembering it, but that's what I was doing about 2 or 3 years ago. You just stick them to the screen, of course, and your fingers can follow them to do fader moves, or buttons, etc. Your fingers will work on the touch screen even through the paper.

That might help some folks.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
NYFC
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NYFC »

I've been using Metagrid all week with DP and I'm loving it. It's dead easy to customize scenes and views. The app specific command section makes it much quicker than lemur for programming buttons and the developer has promised CC faders in an upcoming update. I use a second Ipad for faders, so that's not an issue. I'm in the midst of programming buttons to control articulations in my various orchestral libraries. It's so simple and quick. I'm using Metagrid with
Sibelius as well. I love being able to touch a button and see a phrase like 'poco a poco cresc.' appear in my score.

Anyway, best $15 I've ever spent for my Ipad. Highly recommended.
iMac 5k 4.0ghz 32gigs
3 Mac mini slaves
VSL,EastWest Hollywood, LASS, etc.