MOTU Spatial Maximizer presets

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tripi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Spatial Maximizer presets

Post by Tripi »

I'm really interested in trying to incorporate the S.M. plugin in my mixes, but I'm a little lost on where to start. There aren't any presets to see how it's intended to be used, or how it could sound. I understand what Mid/Side processing does, and why you would use it. Guess the interface isn't the most intuitive one. Does any one have any suggestions, or presets they would be willing to share?

Thanks!
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: MOTU Spatial Maximizer presets

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Tripi, the other day I used it for the first time, and it's really cool and intuitive, especially if you are already familiar with the Dynamic EQ MOTU plugin (the new one that looks very similar).

This is the kind of plugin where presets aren't particularly useful, since it's too program-dependent.

I used it to tame some annoying frequencies that were bothering me from a loop I was using. It was a bass groove with some nice percussion stuff (very stereo, coming from "the sides"), but some if it was killing my ears if I applied distortion.

So after a 2 minute glance at the manual, I soloed the side part of the signal, dynamically compressed the offending frequencies, and marvelled at how little it affected the meat of the audio (the bass), while getting rid of the annoying stuff that was in the sides.
Then I made it more solid by working on the Mid signal, where I managed to make the bass more focused and centred and powerful.
It really worked!

There are a couple of parameters that I'm not sure how they work (Minimum Gain), and the manual is useless for those parameters, since it's a one-sentence explanation that is not clear, at least to me.

You already know the concept behind M-S, so you probably should just jump to it and experiment for an hour or so with different material, including loops and full mixes.
I think it is VERY USEFUL once one gets the handle of it.

What the hell happened to my iguana avatar anyway ?!?!? First it appeared distorted, and now it's gone :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BTW, in the Dynamic EQ section of the plugin, be careful with how much you reduce the gain of the bands. It's too easy to exaggerate them if you view the the graphic with a 24 dB scale. I recommend you put it in 12 or 6 dB scale, so you really see how much dynamic gain reduction you are applying.
If something starts sounding weird, that´s the first place I´d look...
Last edited by FMiguelez on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

FMiguelez wrote: What the hell happened to my iguana avatar anyway ?!?!? First it appeared distorted, and now it's gone :?
The dingos ate your avatar...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What the hell happened to my iguana avatar anyway ?!?!? First it appeared distorted, and now it's gone :?
When that happened to me awhile back, I had to open my control panel and re-link to the image on the host. Something hiccupped and the server link had changed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

mikehalloran wrote:
When that happened to me awhile back, I had to open my control panel and re-link to the image on the host. Something hiccupped and the server link had changed.
I prefer my dingo theory.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I prefer my dingo theory.
I agree. It's a grand theory.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Tripi, check out this article from SOS…
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep13/a ... ?print=yes

It is an excellent walk-through of the SM (and Ensemble Chorus). The reviewer also provides a link to download a few presets he created for the Ensemble Chorus, but alas, nothing for SM. Still, a good read.

Cheers......
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mikehalloran wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I prefer my dingo theory.
I agree. It's a grand theory.
:lol:

Yeah. Something happened to the picture host... I'll have to find a reliable one.

Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Cool. Thank you for the tips and the SOS link. I get that magazine every month, but it drives me crazy how they never talk about DP. They reviewed DP9... but that was it.

Anyways, experimenting is about to begin.

thanks!
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
FMiguelez wrote: What the hell happened to my iguana avatar anyway ?!?!? First it appeared distorted, and now it's gone :?
Perfect Aussie joke.

Wuddun, Magilla!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
billf

Post by billf »

Tripi wrote:I'm really interested in trying to incorporate the S.M. plugin in my mixes, but I'm a little lost on where to start. There aren't any presets to see how it's intended to be used, or how it could sound. I understand what Mid/Side processing does, and why you would use it. Guess the interface isn't the most intuitive one. Does any one have any suggestions, or presets they would be willing to share?

Thanks!
Here is a post from Magic Dave from a few years ago:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 78#p473845

Postby magicd » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:29 am
Working ok for me. You have three controls: Frequency, Drive, and Blend.

What this circuit does is add harmonic distortion. When applied to bass frequencies, the harmonics will enhance perceived bass response on smaller speakers.

Start with the Blend control. All the way counterclockwise turns the effect off. To really hear what it's doing, turn the Blend fully clockwise.

Drive determines how much harmonic distortion is created. Frequency determines the low pass cutoff point for the distortion. If you crank the Drive and raise the Frequency you will most certainly hear the effect.

Dave
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

monkey man wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Perfect Aussie joke.

Wuddun, Magilla!
Over here on this side of the pond, it's a Seinfeld joke. An irritated Elaine said it to an irritating woman to sound as if she were a demented Aussie, I suppose. Which makes it an Aussie joke, once removed.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Well I'm used to my jokes being once removed. Repeatedly.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS