MOTU Spatial Maximizer presets

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
remmet
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU Spatial Maximizer presets

Post by remmet »

One aspect of the SM that, in my opinion, could be improved would be the addition of an input level control. (Please tell me it's not already there and I just haven't found it!) I generally place the SM in the next to last position in my mastering chain, just before the limiter. By the time all the other mastering plugs have had their way, the level reaching the SM is quite hot and results in the meters showing red pretty much constantly. (I noticed this as well in the video link referenced earlier in this thread.) While I generally haven't perceived that the signal sounds distorted, it's a bit disconcerting visually to see indications of an over-driven signal, and I'm frequently second-guessing what I'm hearing. Turning down the Master level on the SM lowers the output level, but the meter levels aren't affected. So the question arises whether it matters that the meters are blasting away in the red.

Anyone have thoughts about this?

Richard
Mac mini 2018 3.2GHz i7; OS X 10.144.6; 64 GB RAM; DP 10.1; Apollo X6; Kontakt 6; Omnisphere II; Adagio Everything, Spitfire almost Everything, Berlin Winds and Brass, Xosphere 2, and endless other sample libraries, acoustic and electric guitars, and assorted other essentials that have helped make me the "almost break even guy" my accountant so admires.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU Spatial Maximizer presets

Post by bayswater »

Input level control would be convenient, but you could just reduce levels earlier in the signal path if the level going into the SM appears to high. With internal processing at 32 bits, you're not going to lose resolution. If the signal path is too complex to deal with you can put a Trim in the insert before the SM.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8