SysEx Device ID??? Setting up MMC

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SysEx Device ID??? Setting up MMC

Post by Prime Mover »

I'm trying to setup my Arturia Keylab 88 for MMC communication with DP8, I've never done an MMC link before, and I'm stuck trying to figure out what to enter for the SysEx Device ID field. I used a program to ping a SysEx ID Request and came out with:

F0 7E 00 06 02 00 20 6B 02 00 05 48 04 00 01 01 F7

...but the field seems to be only 6 characters long. Totally confused at this stage. What do I enter? I'm guessing a lot of these hex pairs aren't part of the actual ID.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mikehalloran

Re: SysEx Device ID??? Setting up MMC

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Agree. I think the confusion is over the ID assigned to each manufacturer of a MIDI device, and the ID used in a setup when multiple devices of the same sort are present. I'm pretty sure I just identified my Keylab 61 as device 00 when I tried it out as MMC device.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
frankf

Post by frankf »

Here's the word from the MMA on Device ID:
"Since System Exclusive messages are not assigned to a MIDI Channel, the Device ID (formerly referred to as the "channel" byte) is intended to indicate which device in the system is supposed to respond. The device ID 7F, sometimes referred to as the ‘all call’ device ID, is used to indicate that all devices should respond.
In most cases, the Device ID should refer to the physical device being addressed (the "hunk of metal and plastic" is a common term that has been used), as opposed to having the same meaning as channel or referring to a virtual device inside a physical device. For reference, this also corresponds to old USI discussions that included a "Unit ID" that was supposed to be attached to one UART and set of in/out ports.
However, there are exceptions - for example, what Device ID to use for a dual-transport tape deck and MMC commands? Some may feel more comfortable thinking of the Device ID as an "address" and allow for the possibility that a single physical unit may be powerful enough to have more than one valid address. (This also has more relevance as devices move from stand-alone units to cards in a computer.)
Therefore, Device ID is meant to refer to a single physical device or I/O port as a default. Sophisticated devices - such as multi-transport tape decks, computers with card slots, or even networks of devices - may have more than one Device ID, and such occurrences should be explained to the user clearly in the manual. From one to sixteen virtual devices may be accessed at each Device ID by use of the normal MIDI channel numbers, depending on the capabilities of the device."

Check out the Detailed MIDI Spec 1.0 (amended 1996) here:
https://www.MIDI.org/specifications/ite ... cification. It's a long read but has everything you could possibly need to know about MIDI. I actually read the whole thing in the early eighties.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Maybe someone has already said this, but Sysex ID is usually a small number like 0, 1, 2, or 3. Some devices allow you to set that. Others, you just try a number until you see it doing something. I don't remember whether you write that ID in hex or in ASCII code. If it's ASCII, in SysEx you precede each digit with a numeral 3. Thus, an ASCII number of 12 would be 31 32, or if it's looking for 3 digits, you can put in 303132 (012) . If it's hex, you may need a hex calculator unless you never go above 16, for most people can figure hex up to 16 without any trouble.
  • Decimal = Hexadecimal
    • 1 = 1
      2 = 2
      3 = 3
      4 = 4
      5 = 5
      6 = 6
      7 = 7
      8 = 8
      9 = 9
      10 = A
      11 = B
      12 = C
      13 = D
      14 = E
      15 = F
      16 = 10
      17 = 11
      18 = 12
    and so on.
Usually, it you're just talking to one device, try 1 as your ID. That seems to work 90% of the time. If not, try 0, then start going down the list. All the synths I've used have allowed you to set the ID in some SysEx menu. Lighting devices and other MSC [MIDI Show Control] devices are hit and miss. While I assume there is a way to do it, it's not always documented or easily found.

When I'm working with lighting people, I demand a copy of the manual before we commence. They are always reluctant to the point of fighting about it, but I don't budge until I get a manual, and since I'm kind of in the middle of the show, they always lose the fight. I get my copy of the manual, or we don't work. It always pays off in the end, because I always know more about their devices than they do, since I'm almost always the only one in the room who has read the effing manual. When there's trouble, and the guys running those boxes don't even know your language, there's no time to fool with them. You just tell them what to do, or you do it yourself, and it gets done fast. They always look a little dazed, but happy that someone knew what to do, and I never rub their noses in it. And something ALWAYS happens. Lighting boxes, at least in the 1990s, were notoriously difficult to use in a MIDI network, but doable once you figured out their methods, and few used MSC. Most used their own MIDI implementation involving multiple continuous controller values and some arcane startup routine to get the devices to handshake.

More than you asked. I'll stop there.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Prime Mover wrote:I'm trying to setup my Arturia Keylab 88 for MMC communication with DP8, I've never done an MMC link before, and I'm stuck trying to figure out what to enter for the SysEx Device ID field. I used a program to ping a SysEx ID Request and came out with:

F0 7E 00 06 02 00 20 6B 02 00 05 48 04 00 01 01 F7

...but the field seems to be only 6 characters long. Totally confused at this stage. What do I enter? I'm guessing a lot of these hex pairs aren't part of the actual ID.
Somewhere, there is a chart that shows the meaning of each string of digits in the above string. The device ID, if I recall, is usually one of the last hex digits, which in this case would be 01. I may be wrong about that, though. IN any case, if you can't find the chart, you can try changing one pair at a time until you come upon the one that functions as a device ID.

It's been a while.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|