Kontact volume resetting when I hit PLAY.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Kontact volume resetting when I hit PLAY.

Post by MikeInBoston »

This is driving me CRAZY!!! You know how some libraries are not as loud as others. Well, if I boost the master volume of the instance of Kontact that I'm using (say, to +6dB), when I hit play in DP9, the volume slider in Kontact snaps back to its default value.

Does anyone know how to prevent this? By the way, this happens if I start an empty DP project, so it's not like I have a bunch of hidden controllers lurking on that track.

Thank you.

Mike
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Kontact volume resetting when I hit PLAY.

Post by buzzsmith »

Mike, if I'm understanding you correctly...

Presuming just one instrument loaded, you have 2 ways to control the volume.

The return fader for Kontakt and the fader for the instrument.

In my experience, the instrument's volume will jump to the current fader value.

The Kontakt VI fader should not move unless there is some automation written there.

Hope that helps.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Actually, I was wrong about something. Its not the master volume of Kontact, but its the volume of the loaded library within it. This is what snaps back to it's default value.

Mike
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Which library?

If each instrument is assigned to an individual MIDI channel on the mixer you should see a fader for that instrument as well as the others if you have the mixer set to show them.

Moving a fader should also move the volume slider for that instrument within Kontakt. Controller #7.

It's possible that your loaded library's instruments volume may be also controlled with the mod wheel. Controller #1.

Or a combination of the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I think the basic deal is that you have to choose whether you are using Kontakts instrument sliders, or DP's MIDI track sliders to control volume.

If have multiple instruments loaded into Kontakt, and you want to use the sliders within Kontakt to adjust the relative volumes:

Open each instruments editor and click on the INSTRUMENT OPTIONS button (upper left), uncheck "Accept Standard Controllers for Pan & Volume".

With this option, then you won't be able to use the DP track/mixer sliders to adjust volume. Instead, you set volumes for each instrument, and/or use the output mixer within Kontakt (as mentioned by MLC below), but I don't know if you can automate that mixer.

If you want to use DP's MIDI track's sliders to control volume, Leave that above option checked. Now you can use the DP MIDI track mixer fader to control each Kontakt MIDI channel's volume.
NOTE: within that same edit window (Inst. Opt.) you can set the range of the slider so that full on is -12, -6, 0, +6 or +12.

The only hitch with this approach is that if you have multiple tracks/faders assigned to the same channel/instrument, then it can get kind of messy.

I believe when there is no automation, DP/Kontakt will default to listening to which ever fader is highest, but I don't know how it works as far as conflicting automation is concerned or unusual combinations of realtime adjustments and automation. I think as long as you are aware, that's not a big issue.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Wow, Buzzy, you're right! When I move the MIDI fader in DP, the volume of the library slider (in this case, NI's Ensemble Strings) moves accordingly. I never noticed the hard wiring between the two before. How would I defeat this? Is there a way? If the MIDI fader in DP is already up to 127 (which it is by default), how can I raise the slider of the library without it snapping back to get a louder sound?

Thanks so much.

Mike
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

See above-- edited for clarity.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yes, check the mixer in Kontakt player.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Thanks for this post and your replies Buzzsmith and stubbsonic. I was a wondering why full volume on my controller fader was only yielding 1/2 way on the Kontakt instruments volume level. Yay +6 in the instrument editor! Much appreciated!
Last edited by Kellog on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

That's it!!! That's exactly what I wanted to do! Thank you, stubbsonic, MIDI Life Crisis, and Buzzy. When using Cubase or Ableton Live (and Logic, I think), this doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Now I can set the volume of the library within Kontact itself, and not worry that DP is going to change it when I hit play.

You guys are great!

Mike