Extended numeric keyboard commands on a laptop?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bolla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Extended numeric keyboard commands on a laptop?

Post by bolla »

I've just got a new (old) laptop hand-me down.
I'm really used to using the extended usb numeric keyboard for commands like record "3" etc.

Is there an easy way to replicate common commands like "3" for record using just the laptop keyboard?
OR
Do I need to just set up my own versions in Commands?

Thanks, Bolla.
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
Rick Cornish

Re: Extended numeric keyboard commands on a laptop?

Post by Rick Cornish »

I've always used a numeric keypad with my laptop. Used to have a USB one, but got this Bluetooth keypad recently with more features and have been happy with it:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/KPA28BTW/

Also, there used to be a way to define certain letter keys as a num keypad. Look for little numbers on the keycaps in the middle-right section of the keyboard. I got that to work once, but couldn't really get used to it, myself.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Rick Cornish wrote:I've always used a numeric keypad with my laptop. Used to have a USB one, but got this Bluetooth keypad recently with more features and have been happy with it:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/KPA28BTW/

Also, there used to be a way to define certain letter keys as a num keypad. Look for little numbers on the keycaps in the middle-right section of the keyboard. I got that to work once, but couldn't really get used to it, myself.
I don't think Apple has done the alternate keypad thing on laptops in many years. To use those keys with a laptop, buy a Bluetooth keypad.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

That software will allow you to use keypad shortcuts on any OS X computer.

Open preferences and just search 'keypad' for the option you want. "Use old style fn keypad" works great.

It's also amazing software for other things.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:This thing still work???

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/new-iphon ... -performer
It's unreliable. I can get it to work occasionally, but mostly it will crash unexpectedly or freeze on launch. There is a further discussion about it here

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60593
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks. I wonder if MOTU is the developer or if they've jobbed it out to someone to build? Compared to their other software this would seem like a no brainer to fix given reasonable resources.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Thanks. I wonder if MOTU is the developer or if they've jobbed it out to someone to build? Compared to their other software this would seem like a no brainer to fix given reasonable resources.
The status of it is somewhat murky as it's been performing sketchy for some time. It's a great app when it works, but it hasn't been updated since 2010. I'd even pay for a new version. There aren't a lot of good alternatives for the iPad currently, although PT Control has been reported by some folks to work fine with DP. PT Control works with DP on my current setup (DP 9.02, iOS9, OSX 10.9.5) but I don't know if it works on El Cap or not as I haven't tried it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pro-too ... 5761?mt=34
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bolla

Post by bolla »

Robert Randolph wrote:https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

Open preferences and just search 'keypad' for the option you want. "Use old style fn keypad" works great.

Thanks. That is just the ticket and useful for many other apps.
Bolla.
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bolla wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

Thanks. That is just the ticket and useful for many other apps.
Bolla.
Thanks for the heads up!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The same problem happens with iMacs which only supply the smaller keyboard. For a while I had a full keyboard sitting to the left of the smaller keyboard which works well because then I can access the numeric keypad with my left hand while holding the mouse with the right. But recently I dumped the larger keyboard in favour of Custom Keypad for an iPhone or iPad. There is probably same or similar for Android devices. It comes with a pre-programmed numeric keyboard, but you can extend that with any number of other key commands, or macros, and tart up the graphics.

This fits well on in iPad mini, or one of the larger iPhones.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8