Bass. What VI do you like for bass?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Bass. What VI do you like for bass?

Post by buzzsmith »

Cool. I loaded it in just a little bit ago and took a Trillian bass line and assigned it to the Rickenbacker. Found a sound or two.

Had to pull the velocities back, but liking.

Need to search for a manual or tips.

Don't quite understand the key switches...yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

buzzsmith wrote:Cool. I loaded it in just a little bit ago and took a Trillian bass line and assigned it to the Rickenbacker. Found a sound or two.

Had to pull the velocities back, but liking.

Need to search for a manual or tips.

Don't quite understand the key switches...yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a downloadable pdf manual at this NI page: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... cker-bass/

As to the keyswitches amongst other things you can assign what string certain notes are played on; IOW you could have the low E string play all the way up the neck rather than going from the low E to the A string, etc.
wonder

Post by wonder »

I have used Trilian since it was Trilogy.

I have yet to find another Upright bass that sounds even remotely as good/accurate.

You can do all the knocks and fingerboard slaps and body taps you want. Its supremely chock-full-o-nuts.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Wonder, would you care to share some tips on Trillian's upright then? I probably spent twenty hours altogether, over three separate sessions, and couldn't get anything that sounded remotely organic, with a tremendous amount of tweaking. Maybe I missed some mic settings pages.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

mhschmieder wrote:I have Straight Ahead Bass and Drums (Brush and Sticks) but haven't figured out how to use them yet, I can't get them to trigger single hits for some reason; they keep going into loop mode. I almost think that might be all they do, based on some forum discussions?
Both these instruments are playable outside of triggering loops - I don't think SA Bass actually has bass loops. SA Drums (Brush and Sticks) has individual multi-samples you can program drum-machine style in addition to tempo syncing grooves to a sequence.
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

wonder wrote:I have used Trilian since it was Trilogy. I have yet to find another Upright bass that sounds even remotely as good/accurate.
The ability to control the direct and mic input levels in Straight Ahead Bass offers a level of flexibility and realism that is worth checking out. I have found in some settings the wood sound of the bass comes through better in a mix with SA Bass than Trillian.
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I just used "The+Upright" that came with MachFive for the first time on a song. It sounded pretty realistic to my ears. It has the all important room mics, close and DI, all mixable. Makes it a lot easier to have it sit into a mix.

My only complaint is that it is too real in one regard- it's hard to get note volumes even, because some notes resonate and ring out louder than others, just like on a real acoustic bass. Messing with velocities didn't really fix this for me..

Still a good one to try if you have MachFive or Falcon.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Killahurts wrote:I just used "The+Upright" that came with MachFive for the first time on a song. It sounded pretty realistic to my ears. It has the all important room mics, close and DI, all mixable. Makes it a lot easier to have it sit into a mix.

My only complaint is that it is too real in one regard- it's hard to get note volumes even, because some notes resonate and ring out louder than others, just like on a real acoustic bass. Messing with velocities didn't really fix this for me..

Still a good one to try if you have MachFive or Falcon.
What you cite is one of the reasons compressors find their way into a bass rig for both acoustic and electric bass. I'd try an LA2A emulation on the track.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

musicman691 wrote:What you cite is one of the reasons compressors find their way into a bass rig for both acoustic and electric bass. I'd try an LA2A emulation on the track.
Ha! That's exactly what I did! :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

mhschmieder wrote:Wonder, would you care to share some tips on Trillian's upright then? I probably spent twenty hours altogether, over three separate sessions, and couldn't get anything that sounded remotely organic, with a tremendous amount of tweaking. Maybe I missed some mic settings pages.
Mark, I read somewhere that some folks find Trillian's implementation "clicky", meaning that they felt there was too much attack / fingerboard slap inherent in the samples.

I can't comment on this as I haven't tried it yet, but Trillian is the only bass VI I have as I bought into Spectrasonics last year as I always said I would. Hopefully it'll work for me, and who knows, it may even do so for you, although I acknowledge the fact that your requirements are likely far more exacting than mine.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Probably it was only the Straight Ahead Drums where I had trouble with the default loop mode. I might have had other reasons for bumping their upright bass library down the list.

As others have noted, even the free versions of the UVI and/or AcousticSamples uprights are quite well recorded and very woody. I use Vienna Suite to tame upright bass tracks -- primarily with notch filters to get rid of the resonance of open strings. I use some light tube-emulating compression as well, from Vienna Suite, but an LA-2A would probably do the trick just as well.

The VSL Upright is probably still on sale for a bit longer, as they have marked down all of their download string libraries during a recent sale. It's cheaper than quite a few of the others discussed here, and hard to beat. You also get a gazillion articulations to work with. NONE is more flexible!

If you can live with the note range of the AcousticSamples or UVI libraries -- whether the free versions or the paid versions -- I imagine they could be easily coaxed with just a bit of EQ and compression. As I said earlier, I am VERY impressed by them, but can't use them as I usually need to go a bit below "E". Of course, I could use Melodyne after-the-fact, but it doesn't sound natural to me on low notes. Others might not be bothered by such trickery. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH