Bass. What VI do you like for bass?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bass. What VI do you like for bass?

Post by Henry Robinett »

I would have out this under the VI sub forum but all the categories are MOTU instruments. So is there a particular app you like for bass sounds? I'm not that interested in super electro stuff. Just curious. I have Falcon, Kontakt, KORG DL, and other stuff.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
billf

Re: Bass. What VI do you like for bass?

Post by billf »

It depends. For a deep VI, Spectrasonics Trilian is excellent. Komplete 10 from NI also has some nice bass VI stuff for Kontakt.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

For use in Kontakt I like the Rickenbacker bass. It's an add-on library. The gui even has a representation of Lemmy's hat on a chair in the background. To my mind a lot better than the stock Scarbee basses in Kontakt/Komplete.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I have Trillian and really like. However, I'm also looking for some other bass options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

For those using Trillian how do you like the upright bass? I have some stuff that could use a good upright bass; that's one instrument I was never able to play with any aplomb. Electric bass no problem.

For synth type bass it's either the Arturia MiniMoog or Moog Modular in vi land.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I originally used the Scarbee DI Bass libraries NI put out for Kontakt, but they all sound kind of tubby to me, have extremely limited articulations (two fingers only for the P-Bass and two fingers/slap in different patches for J-Bass) and were always hard to seat properly in a mix -- I also record the Di bass, then amp up that track, record the amped version and mix the two tracks together. I wound up switching to Ilya Efimov DI bass libraries, particularly the Classic (a P-Bass) and the Fretless. You can keyswitch to a slap or mute articulation, plus slide FX noises and auto-legato, and opt to use their built-in amp sim if you don't have (or don't feel like using) your own preferred plug or real-life bass amp. Most importantly, they sound like real DI basses. I also use Prominy's Yamaha SR-5 Rock Bass for Kontakt when I want a more modern picked bass sound.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It doesn't matter much to me which bass VI I use. It depends on the track and the kick drum I use. I'm going to eq both so that they stay out of the way of each other anyway. I'll start with the basic sound I want to use and go from there.

I'll often play it in using one of the basses in GarageBand on my iPad and tapping the glass or using a keyboard (they can be sequenced, too). The Precision and Höfner are surprisingly good. The Picked is good for a Rick type piano-bass and the synth basses are surprisingly useful. The upright sucks on its own but I use it live with a rockabilly singer and it works pretty well. Hmmm... It never occurred to me before that the GB basses in iOS might be my favorites.

If it's a simple line, I'll grab one of my Carvin or Rick Turner basses—I've developed a one-handed technique.

I've never heard the upright bass VI that I like. The mics are always too close and never sound like a player in a live acoustic ensemble. The phase anomalies in a multi-mic'd bass VI sound unnatural. I detest hearing much of the fingerboard up close. No thanks.

I've cobbled one from samples of my studio work using MachFive3. I have my 5-string Kay somewhat complete and am working on one from my carved bass. I suppose I like them because it's the only way I can sound like me now that I can no longer play.

My favorite way to record an upright is to use a nice ribbon about ten feet away in a good sounding room. Sometimes I'll use M-S with a pair of ribbons.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Speaking of bass vi's has any developer done one for the Rhodes Piano bass like Ray Manzarek of the Doors used? Preferably for Kontakt.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'll second Mike's comment on GarageBand basses. I get compositions done in GB from a composer who wants the tracks redone with live or better sounds. For general purposes I can often leave the bass the way he sends it. Layering 2 or 3 GB sounds can give a decent result.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

musicman691 wrote:For those using Trillian how do you like the upright bass?
It's good in certain settings - lacks clarity and definition IMO. For jazz and other acoustic-type music I like 'StraightAhead! Bass' better. You can control the mic and direct levels and blend. http://straightaheadsamples.com/shop-2/ ... head-bass/
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:
musicman691 wrote:For those using Trillian how do you like the upright bass?
It's good in certain settings - lacks clarity and definition IMO. For jazz and other acoustic-type music I like 'StraightAhead! Bass' better. You can control the mic and direct levels and blend. http://straightaheadsamples.com/shop-2/ ... head-bass/
Thank you for the link. This sounds like it can do what I need wihtout all the extra stuff in Trillian I don't need. That and it's Kontakt which is a major plus.
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

When not recording live bass, I've been using Machfive/Falcon with either AcousticSamples Bassysm-F and the Machfive stock J-Bass through a UAD-2 Ampeg SVTR. They both sound pretty great to my ears.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I use the Scarabee basses (NI Komplete), the MOTU Minimoog model and Omnisphere. Also love a few of the hybrid bass sounds on my S90ES.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Check out Amplesound's basses. They offer a P-bass, a Jazz Bass, a Musicman Stingray bass, and
a handheld (not standup) acoustic bass. They also offer what I consider to be the best sampled acoustic guitars in the world.

http://www.amplesound.net

Someone mentioned a Rhodes piano bass. Any Rhodes VI will work for that, the original Piano Bass
was really no different from a "regular" Rhodes Stage 73...it just happened to come to market before the Rhodes Suitcase and Stage models did. To make a "Piano Bass" from a Rhodes VI, simply add a lot of low end EQ.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

David Polich wrote: Someone mentioned a Rhodes piano bass. Any Rhodes VI will work for that, the original Piano Bass was really no different from a "regular" Rhodes Stage 73...it just happened to come to market before the Rhodes Suitcase and Stage models did. To make a "Piano Bass" from a Rhodes VI, simply add a lot of low end EQ.
I've tried that very thing in the past with less than satisfying results. Too tubby and not the sound I remember from all those years ago - keep in mind I played the real thing back in the 60's so yeah - been there/done that. Then again I've yet to find a Rhodes vi that I like either; I'm picky that way.