using DP live

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
insch
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: using DP live

Post by insch »

I'm really struggling to make custom consoles work. I have just posted a new post about this.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=61632

If anyone has any experience it would be great to know where I'm going wrong.

Thank you.
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 Mac Pro, Mac OS 11.5.2, 64 GB RAM, MOTU 8M, DP 11.01
insch

Post by insch »

Shooshie wrote:I just checked the manual. On page 659 of the DP8 manual (sorry; I don't have a hard copy of DP9's manual) there is a picture of a custom console being used for a Mute button. Explore this. If you can create a mute button in Custom Consoles, you can connect it to ANY MIDI CONTROLLER!

If you can do that, you can turn on and off various tracks or groups of tracks. I'd create a group of tracks (see Create New Group in the Mixing Board Mini Menu) for each "thing" you want to be able to control. Group them so that if you turn on one track, the rest also play enable.

Now create a custom console for a mute command, and apply it to one of those tracks.
Connect the Custom Console to a MIDI Command. When you hit that command, the group comes on. You can use the same command to tell another console to turn OFF another group. Thus, you can completely change the texture of the music instantly while playing.
You should be ready to go!

Shooshie
Thanks so much for your help Shooshie.

I am slowly making progress with Consoles - it does seem a rather hit and miss process. I have now discovered that a mute/un-mute button in the console overrides track grouping and only applies to the individual track that you have selected as a target - aargh - so frustrating. I can't be the only person out there who might want to play-enable groups of tracks live... can I? Still working on a solution here otherwise I'll have to take the plunge with Ableton Live and learn a new application.
3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 Mac Pro, Mac OS 11.5.2, 64 GB RAM, MOTU 8M, DP 11.01
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Dwetmaster »

Also, don't be affraid to make extensive use of V-Racks and Handle all your routing to the outside world through it. It makes re-routing soooo easier. I have a DP live project with 50 songs or more and I can re-route the clicks or turn down the Percussions of every songs at the touch of a button...

And I'm not positive but I think routing through V-Racks helps the chunk changing process as well.

I've even been able to create a routine using some scripting program called "ControllerMate", to loop sections on the fly. It is a bit cumbersome but it works.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
insch

Post by insch »

Dwetmaster wrote:Also, don't be affraid to make extensive use of V-Racks and Handle all your routing to the outside world through it. It makes re-routing soooo easier. I have a DP live project with 50 songs or more and I can re-route the clicks or turn down the Percussions of every songs at the touch of a button...

And I'm not positive but I think routing through V-Racks helps the chunk changing process as well.

I've even been able to create a routine using some scripting program called "ControllerMate", to loop sections on the fly. It is a bit cumbersome but it works.
Thanks. Can I control muting and un-muting of track groups this way?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

insch wrote:
Shooshie wrote:I just checked the manual. On page 659 of the DP8 manual (sorry; I don't have a hard copy of DP9's manual) there is a picture of a custom console being used for a Mute button. Explore this. If you can create a mute button in Custom Consoles, you can connect it to ANY MIDI CONTROLLER!

If you can do that, you can turn on and off various tracks or groups of tracks. I'd create a group of tracks (see Create New Group in the Mixing Board Mini Menu) for each "thing" you want to be able to control. Group them so that if you turn on one track, the rest also play enable.

Now create a custom console for a mute command, and apply it to one of those tracks.
Connect the Custom Console to a MIDI Command. When you hit that command, the group comes on. You can use the same command to tell another console to turn OFF another group. Thus, you can completely change the texture of the music instantly while playing.
You should be ready to go!

Shooshie
Thanks so much for your help Shooshie.

I am slowly making progress with Consoles - it does seem a rather hit and miss process. I have now discovered that a mute/un-mute button in the console overrides track grouping and only applies to the individual track that you have selected as a target - aargh - so frustrating. I can't be the only person out there who might want to play-enable groups of tracks live... can I? Still working on a solution here otherwise I'll have to take the plunge with Ableton Live and learn a new application.
Custom Consoles can try your patience. Been there many times. Since they aren't working on groups, you can make several identical consoles, each with a different track for a target, and group the consoles themselves by making one the master and the others slaves. Slave consoles can also work in reverse, so that when you mute one, it could unmute another, and that sort of thing.

It's slow, figuring out those consoles, and I would never do it for someone else, because you really have to understand what you've got and how you made them if you want to keep them working or reuse them somewhere else, but if you put in the time, they will reward you with some interesting extended control.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
menright

Post by menright »

This is precisely why I picked up a copy Ableton Live, which is superb at triggering "scenes", the name Live gives to its "chunks". Works as advertised. And I still love DP, by the way. Live is no replacement except in this one narrow usage.

Mike E
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
insch

Post by insch »

menright wrote:This is precisely why I picked up a copy Ableton Live, which is superb at triggering "scenes", the name Live gives to its "chunks". Works as advertised. And I still love DP, by the way. Live is no replacement except in this one narrow usage.

Mike E
Thanks Mike

Live is definitely my Plan B but if I can make the DP route work it will save me a lot of work.