Quicktime export in DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Pinch
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Quicktime export in DP8

Post by Pinch »

When bouncing to disk and choosing Quicktime Movie the exported audio tracks are encoded as Apple AAC.

Is the AAC encoder embedded in DP8 or part of the OSX operating system (i.e., DP8 accesses it). Thanks!
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Quicktime export in DP8

Post by williemyers »

Pinch wrote:When bouncing to disk and choosing Quicktime Movie the exported audio tracks are encoded as Apple AAC.

Is the AAC encoder embedded in DP8 or part of the OSX operating system (i.e., DP8 accesses it). Thanks!
Pinch, I could be *dead wrong* about the following, but my recollection is that, when DP went to DP8, they switched from using Quicktime 7 to using Quicktime X for Movies and, if the preceding is correct, perhaps Quicktime X uses Apple ACC as it's encoder?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Quicktime export in DP8

Post by Shooshie »

However antiquated it was, the loss of Quicktime 7 (professional version) was a severe blow to creative media folk. I still hold out hope that Apple will eventually give Quicktime X all the functionality of QT7.

As far as how DP is doing it, I can only assume that williemyers is right. I don't actually know, but it would seem that MOTU would not attempt to duplicate Apple's proprietary property.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|