Click pattern quarter/quarter/dotted quarter in 7/8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
massimosammi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Click pattern quarter/quarter/dotted quarter in 7/8

Post by massimosammi »

Hello there,

I would need to create a click pattern for the 7/8 meter that has a quarter/quarter/dotted quarter accent.

The tempo is quite fast (q=150) so using the eighth notes in the click will sound really obnoxious.

Right now I use the "beat click" with the quarter note subdivision and the click subdivides the meter in quarter/quarter/quarter/eighth.

To be a little clearer:

- currently the 7/8 is subdivided in 12/12/12/1 and the click plays the 1 of each subdivision.
- I would need to subdivide 7/8 in 12/12/123 playing the 1 of each subdivision - so the difference is that the last eight note will be silent.

Is there a way I can achieve that?

Thanks in advance!
RodneySauer

Re: Click pattern quarter/quarter/dotted quarter in 7/8

Post by RodneySauer »

OK. I may not be the best person to answer this, because I never use click tracks. But could you manually create a MIDI click track, with the three beats you want in each measure, with the audio sent to the headphones bus, and then just copy it a bunch of times?
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

When you put in a meter in the Conductor track, you have the option of clicking on the "Click/NoteValue" thing and choosing Pattern Click.

You can look in the manual for the Pattern Click section. There's one that fully explains the code for getting the click pattern you want. Though it seems a little cryptic, once you've done a few, it's not that bad. Save your pattern for later use if you do lots of 7/8.

You could try 2 2 3/8 (that's quarter, quarter, dotted quarter) I think.

If you do a MIDI click, you can just select the bar and have it loop. That's quick, too. You'd have a little more choice about sound & feel.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
massimosammi

Post by massimosammi »

Thanks!
I put 2 2 3 without any slash and it worked great.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The /8 at the end is there to "define the basis" (8th notes, in this case). But as you noticed, DP seems to assume a default (perhaps based on the time signature?)

Glad you got it sorted. Also glad you are writing in 7/8. It's fun! Oom-pah-Oom-pah-Oom-pah-pah.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

You may not want the inner subdivisions, but I often do. The way I would write 2 2 3 in 7/8, with inner subdivisions, would be:
  • 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 / 8
• Space between numbers prevent 1 1 from becoming 11 (eleven), for more about that, see my next post.
• To turn any beat into an accent, select it and type COMMAND-B, as if you were "bold-facing" the type... which essentially is what you will be doing.
• The /8 tells it that the preceding beats are 8th notes.
• Apply click patterns in the time signature within the Conductor Track. (I guess you already figured out where to create and apply click patterns) Seems like you can do it from timelines in any edit window, but I may be wrong about that. Things change.
• Give your click patterns a name so that next time it's just a matter of pulling down the pattern menu.
• After that, one just may forget that to actually get a sound, you have to click the little metronome icon in the Control Panel, or hit the "CLEAR" button on the numeric keypad. (it used to be called "number lock" on old keyboards)
• To make the countoff click work a little easier, you can set it for "Follow Conductor." Then you don't have to set it up for each place you want to start.

The click pattern, its creation, application, click defaults, countoff clicks, etc. have become unwieldy in DP. You end up going to several windows to accomplish the setup of all this, and then you do the actual work in what amounts to a dialog when you click a time-change icon. I've watched all this evolve for years, and I realize that several pieces of the puzzle evolved separately, but now you have to make them all work together. It would be nice if MOTU could figure out a way to retain all current functionality, but accomplish it in one window, one set of actions.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

stubbsonic wrote:
Glad you got it sorted. Also glad you are writing in 7/8. It's fun! Oom-pah-Oom-pah-Oom-pah-pah.
"Blue Rondo ala Turk", 1959, Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out" immediately comes to mind with the way you perfectly wrote that 7/8! Fun indeed!

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

A post on writing the beat patterns in DP.

DP Tips Sheet: using Beat Patterns and Clicks

The interesting part for me is the many ways you can write the same click pattern. Read the post to find out how.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
SMS

Post by SMS »

frankf wrote:"Blue Rondo ala Turk", 1959, Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out" immediately comes to mind with the way you perfectly wrote that 7/8! Fun indeed!

Frank Ferrucci
Isn't "Blue Rondo..." in 9/8? In "Ooom-pahs": Oom-pah, Oom-pah, Oom-pah, Oom-pah-pah....

:dance:
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yup! And the 2 2 2 3 of the main section then smoothly rolls into 3 3 3 3 in the blues.

frankf

Post by frankf »

Yes! I can't count my Oom pahs ( or I can't read)
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB