Audio recording and tempo changes in playback

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
RBlooz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio recording and tempo changes in playback

Post by RBlooz »

I hope the title doesn't mislead everyone, this is really a question about recording audio at a slower tempo to facilitate technique (or lack thereof!).
In order to record a guitar part that is a bit beyond my current ability I decided to record it at a much slower tempo and then play it back at the correct, faster tempo. What I ended up with is a 2 bar guitar break that plays back in a slower tempo than the rest of the sequence. I'm a bit confused by the soundbite and waveform editors but I have a feeling the answer is in there somewhere. Can someone shed a little light on this for me?
Thanks in advance.

DP 8.07
Fastlane USB
OS 10.6.8
Henry Robinett

Re: Audio recording and tempo changes in playback

Post by Henry Robinett »

Have you tried something like Amazing Slow Downer or Transcribe?

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

It sounds like you were hoping that the guitar part that you played would somehow recognize the tempo of the destination sequence.

Unfortunately, that is not the case.

As Henry mentioned, you could transfer the recorded guitar into ASD and make the time adjustments there.

Audio quality would probably be quite suspect, however, as the doubling of the speed will most likely have a lot of artifacts.

Maybe not..,

Then you save the result and import that new audio file back in to DP.

Hope that helps!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

There are a couple of ways you can approach this.

If you think of your digital audio recorder as a "tape machine"-- some audio interfaces will allow you to slow the clock down to record at a slower speed. However, with this technique, both pitch and tempo slow down together. You'd need to play your piece at a lower key to match the slowed down audio's new lower key (- so when it is sped back up it raise to the correct key). It might even be that tuning your guitar down (if it isn't too far) might do something interesting (and cool) to the sound quality when it is tuned back up.

If you don't want to deal with all the pitch change stuff, you can record as you have done, but then take your slow guitar track over to Audacity and use it's free pitch & tempo plugs to get you back to the correct tempo & key.

There's a relatively inexpensive tool called IrcamLab TS which does basic pitch shifting in a standalone app. It's pretty handy. The sound quality is better than ASD. Has a demo mode so you can see if it will be useful for you.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

+1 on Ircam TS.
Presently, not a plugin, but standalone app.
If you tweak fine, it will do fine.
IMOE, artefacts are program dependant, but Ircam TS has proved to be ok in many situations. Even with complex audio materials.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I'll have to take a look, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

RBlooz

Post by RBlooz »

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll check out "+1 on Ircam TS" and "ASD" and report back.

I suppose I could just hire a guitar player but that would be way too easy...
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

I have had to speed up audio for a client's project once - on 3 tracks of beautifully recording piano. I used the time compression algorithm in protools which is reasonably good. I found an increase of 7% was the most I could get before the timbre of the grand was altered in a negative way. Even at lesser percentage increases there were noticeable changes in the quality of the resonances but those were differences as opposed to damage :)
That was solo piano whereas if you are dealing with guitar that will be part of a mix I would expect you could achieve a substantial increase over 7%.
The interesting point for me would be whether a part played on guitar then sped up would have the right mojo. My guess is that the more techniques used - vibrato, bends, hammers glisando etc - the less likely such a part would be convincing.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying