upgrading to 9 and el capitan

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kassonica
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

upgrading to 9 and el capitan

Post by kassonica »

Hi all

The studio I'm working at has bought a new interface (orion32) which of course won't run on snow leopard, so we're going to upgrade the whole system..

Dp9 and el capitan, how do they run together, issues etc?

Or does the previous OS work better..

Looking forward to using DP9 and all its included goodness :dance:
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: upgrading to 9 and el capitan

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Seems happy here. I dn't use VE Pro or Waves so that may be why I'm not seeing issues.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Seems happy here. I dn't use VE Pro or Waves so that may be why I'm not seeing issues.
Thanks Mr MIDI :)

Yea no waves will be used here
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

IMOE, DP9 - El Capitan is a very responsive setup.
Smooth sailing here.

Single minor issue, solved thru setting a user set command in place of a factory set command: Cmd+alt+Tab in place of Tab (select next event).
That's all.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

El Cap + DP9 is working for me here.
gseibert

Post by gseibert »

Looks like the MIDI USB drivers went from beta to supported on 2/11. Now I can upgrade and my mtp/AV should work. I didn't really want upgrade with beta drivers.
2020 iMac 10 core 32 g ram, Catalina, DP11.04, UA Apollo X4, MTP/av usb, Komplete Ultimate 13,Albion One, BBCSO Core, TX81Z, SPX90, Digitech Studio Quad v2, Tascam DA20 mkII, Alesis ADAT, Roland s750, Mackie line mixer, Korg Z1, Roland A80, DX7, Kurzweil K2500X, Kurzweil K2000R, Kurzweil PC3, Korg 168rc Event 20/20 bas, Mini-Moog, EMS Synthi aks
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

This is very encouraging :)

I'm coming from DP7, so there will be much goodness to discover :dance:
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

Running 9.02 on El Capitan with latest MacBook Pro with 828mkiiih and MicroBook ii plus a few third party plugins and UVI Falcon. Things seems pretty solid.
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

I'd be interested to know if you guys did a completely fresh instal or just an upgrade. I've heard people say fresh instal is less problematic.
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I did the upgrade. I figured if it didn't work I could always do a clean install but why start there if the system is working ok?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

How does one do a clean install? I thought one had to at least have 10.6.8 to get into the APP
store so one could upgrade from there.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I did the upgrade. I figured if it didn't work I could always do a clean install but why start there if the system is working ok?
True... thanks for that, I'm on the cusp of going El Cap ... but a little reticent, incase it screws up.
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

rickorick wrote:How does one do a clean install? I thought one had to at least have 10.6.8 to get into the APP
store so one could upgrade from there.
Good point and actually I'm not sure in this age of download only. I'm used to having disks. Remember those!!!! :D

Not trying to spook anyone here, it's just that the guy who mentioned this to me is an approved mac repairer, currently nursing my old 2008 mac back into action (diagnosis pending!).

I will ask him and report back FWIW

Cheers

Sean
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Sean Kenny wrote:I'd be interested to know if you guys did a completely fresh instal or just an upgrade. I've heard people say fresh instal is less problematic.
That used to be the prevailing wisdom. Then, it only took a day or two to completely install a new OS and copy all your stuff over. Now, we're talking about terabytes of data, and dozens if not hundreds of passwords, not to mention preferences, keychains, and accounts you don't even remember until you get a dialog: "sorry, you won't be able to do anything else on this computer until you remember the only password you never wrote down, which you essentially forgot 5 years ago."

Ok, maybe the dialog doesn't actually say that, but it's pretty much what it means. So, try the upgrade. If you feel like it's not going well for you, you can ALWAYS do the clean install.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Mostly working here, IMO anyway, El Capitan has a few issues, drag and drop graphics are not working all the time, i.e. the folder doesn't 'change' to let you know you're hovering over and dropping into it in the finder, it works, it just doesn't do the graphics display every time it's supposed to to let you know it's all working. Some issues with changing folder paths that make some applications throw out missing dialogs etc. I'm sure it will all be sorted. I also get crash on quits with DP9, but that very well could be a DP9 thing.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.