Tracks Layouts are so great!!! EXCEPT...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tracks Layouts are so great!!! EXCEPT...

Post by amplidood »

This new Track Layout system is the bee's knees. Being able to switch around sets of tracks without using the Track Groups is so great. Now... if it could just be setup that when you update a specific Track Layout and save it, the key command you've assigned to it wouldn't go away. I have to go in and reassign it every time I save an update to a layout. A bit annoying.
Shooshie

Re: Tracks Layouts are so great!!! EXCEPT...

Post by Shooshie »

amplidood wrote:I have to go in and reassign it every time I save an update to a layout. A bit annoying.
That can't have been intentional. I say it's a bug and needs reporting.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

What??? That is crazy Andy. The ones I set and built into my template seem to have stayed.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Didn't the release notes say that track layouts are specific to a project?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:Didn't the release notes say that track layouts are specific to a project?
I believe so IIRC
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

labman wrote:What??? That is crazy Andy. The ones I set and built into my template seem to have stayed.
Well, yeah, a template is just a default project, so however you set it the future generations should follow. IN the case with track layouts, my understanding is they are based on the tracks selected in the chunk. One would assume that each project will have a different configuration, which is why there are templates (to bypass that issue).

How should DP respond when adding a track? What folder should it go in? That's basically the issue. I suppose a new designation of "layout location" could be added to the new track dialogue, but a template is a much easier way to deal with this, IMO. It does, however, make total sense to me that track layout cannot be applied across projects or even in to chunks in the same project unless they are copied and the layout is "inherited" or a template is used.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

oops.My bad !!!

I should have said that we never use DP's templates. We just create our new file, save it and lock it with get info box. But we call them our templates cause we always build from them.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

My track situation is always fluid with tracks coming and going. I may want to update the track layout for "Vocals" with a few new BGV's. There's no way to "Add tracks to existing layout" like there is for groups. If there was, I wouldn't haven't to overwrite that particular layout and lose my custom key command for it in the process.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I can't think of a reason saving a track layout using an existing name should remove the shortcut assigned to the layout. The Commands window knows the sequence and layout name being used. DP knows you're overwriting the layout and has a code branch to handle it. This must be an error or oversight. It should be no big deal to keep the key assignments as long as the layout and sequence names are maintained.

Another way to handle it would be the way Logic handles screen sets. Tracks you add to the view would automatically be added to the layout. If you switch to another layout, then return to the first one, it will appear as you last saw it. At some point you can freeze the layout so it always appears as it was when frozen.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
CCarpenter

Post by CCarpenter »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
labman wrote:What??? That is crazy Andy. The ones I set and built into my template seem to have stayed.
Well, yeah, a template is just a default project, so however you set it the future generations should follow. IN the case with track layouts, my understanding is they are based on the tracks selected in the chunk. One would assume that each project will have a different configuration, which is why there are templates (to bypass that issue).

How should DP respond when adding a track? What folder should it go in? That's basically the issue. I suppose a new designation of "layout location" could be added to the new track dialogue, but a template is a much easier way to deal with this, IMO. It does, however, make total sense to me that track layout cannot be applied across projects or even in to chunks in the same project unless they are copied and the layout is "inherited" or a template is used.
Are you saying you got your track layouts to save with your template? I saved a template with track layouts and key commands and when I open the template the track layouts appear in the view menu but do not work. Neither clicking on the track layout name nor using the key command results in the track layout appearing. What am I doing wrong?
Gear: Late 2013 Mac Pro 3Ghz 8 core 32 GB 11.6.1.5, DP 11, MOTU 828X, MIDI Express 128, VISIONDAW PC Slave with VEP Pro 7
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

I have the same behavior when updating a layout. DP totally hoses the key command.

And saving layouts in a template file is a no go either but, the way around that is to create an actual project, set it up as if it was your template, lock it in the get info window after its all saved and use that as your starting point.
cody

Post by cody »

I've had this exact problem as well. Both in 9.02 and slightly better in 9.12
MacPro 2011 *upgraded* 12 Core 3.33. 64 Gigs RAM. 2x PCIe SSDs, 2x SATA SSDS - OS 10.10.5, DP9.02, VEP5 + VEP5 Slave PC (i7)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Could I trouble you guys to make a bug report? Maybe one of you could do a tech link at MOTU, and one could do a bug report in Robert's bug list thread. Actually, the tech link and bug report kind of reinforce each other. Whoever does one should do the other, because it's already mostly done.

If you can't, let us know. Maybe one of us can duplicate your efforts and do it instead. It helps when everyone takes a piece of this juggernaut and shapes it up!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
CCarpenter

Post by CCarpenter »

This is an old thread but a continuing problem. Yes, I believe I have spoken with MOTU about it over the phone and will write. I have gotten around it by saving a project, NOT a template, and starting from there, but other issues arise. One cannot Duplicate Track Layout within a project and expect the custom track layouts to work. The only work around is to duplicate the chunk, which is OK except if one is writing a second cue within the project one has to delete everything in the duplicate chunk before starting.
Gear: Late 2013 Mac Pro 3Ghz 8 core 32 GB 11.6.1.5, DP 11, MOTU 828X, MIDI Express 128, VISIONDAW PC Slave with VEP Pro 7
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

CCarpenter wrote:This is an old thread but a continuing problem. Yes, I believe I have spoken with MOTU about it over the phone and will write. I have gotten around it by saving a project, NOT a template, and starting from there, but other issues arise. One cannot Duplicate Track Layout within a project and expect the custom track layouts to work. The only work around is to duplicate the chunk, which is OK except if one is writing a second cue within the project one has to delete everything in the duplicate chunk before starting.
Work-around suggestion: Keep a copy of your initial (empty) chunk in your template project and always duplicate from that.