How do you guys handle quick sketching of ideas etc..?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do you guys handle quick sketching of ideas etc..?

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:
bayswater wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:I simply want to be able to use DP without the rigamarole of creating a new project, then eventually deleting all the project assets manually.
Worrying about Mic placements, effects, routing, the tone of specific instruments, etc. doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with the quick sketching of ideas.
I do recording of audio primarily. Mic placements, effects, routing, sound analysis etc... are the musical ideas that I'm responsible for.

I understand that's where the confusion came from with this topic. What I see as an idea I want to try out, is very different from what the average DP user would consider as an idea to sketch out.

90% of the time I'm in my studio, I'm not the musician making the noise. I totally did not consider that most DP users use DP while they themselves are the musician making the noise.
I see. I just inserted the word "musical" in front of idea.

So isn't most of the "rigamarole" outside of DP?

Even so, you can at least simplify the process if you have a template that always presents the same things in the same place -- whatever mic is connected to a specific input is ready to record when DP launches, etc. Another thing that helps in my specific case is to have each input covered by several bundles according to how they might be combined, and to have tracks that link to each bundle, so clicking record button brings up a specific arrangement.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Robert Randolph wrote: ALSO, your chunk idea is very useful. There are definitely times where I'm in a project and I wanna do some little side thing that's tangentially related to the project. Currently I open Reaрer... which is really dumb. I could just be using another chunk!

It's so obvious that it almost shames me to acknowledge it as a useful suggestion. :oops:
That is why I responded - it is simple but not always obvious. Glad it was of some help - once you know about the Load Chunk command, you can make a Chunk in an existing project and then load it in a new one later on. DP is flexible even though the project paradigm may seem rigid and inflexible. Clippings are great, Chunks are great - DP is a tool to be used. No offence to the other responders to this thread (people's workflow methods are enlightening) but if you don't sketch musical ideas in DP (which is what you asked for help with), then it's not much point in responding.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

bayswater wrote:Even so, you can at least simplify the process if you have a template that always presents the same things in the same place -- whatever mic is connected to a specific input is ready to record when DP launches, etc. Another thing that helps in my specific case is to have each input covered by several bundles according to how they might be combined, and to have tracks that link to each bundle, so clicking record button brings up a specific arrangement.
I'm not sure I follow the bolded section very well here. Could you elaborate or post a screenshot of this in action?

I understand how bundles work, but I don't get how an input would be covered by several bundles. Perhaps I'm misreading this somehow.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:I'm not sure I follow the bolded section very well here. Could you elaborate or post a screenshot of this in action?
Basic point is you get different setups for the same things depending on which track you record enable.

E.g. Bundles for a POD: One is a mono bundle linked to the left out on the POD, one to the right, and one is a stereo bundle linked to left and right. These are used on three separate tracks, two mono and one stereo. So what you get depends on what you record enable. (although really, you would record either the left channel or the stereo pair.)

Same idea with a pairs of mics. Each mic is in it's own mono bundle, and can be included as one channel in a stereo pair if appropriate. So you get different recordings depending on what tracks you record enable.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Once more, if I may, try cloning existing projects so that you can use their MIDI setups, VI libraries, and track layouts, as well as time signatures. This is, in my opinion, the fastest way to jump into what you need and create something new without having to stop to set up anything.

Open chunk.
Select all (data) except time signatures (if desired)
Delete

Start creating.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I know this isn't dead-on what was asked, but for quick song ideas I keep an omni mic hooked up on my desk and use an app called Tapedeck. http://tapedeckapp.com It's super-fast to use and to me speed is a big deal if ideas are flowing. I can lose them pretty fast.
I use to use a Zoom recorder but the damn thing takes almost as long to boot up as a computer.

As far as DP I do what Shooshie suggests below quite a bit and also have a few simpler templates suited for early developing ideas.
Shooshie wrote:Once more, if I may, try cloning existing projects so that you can use their MIDI setups, VI libraries, and track layouts, as well as time signatures. This is, in my opinion, the fastest way to jump into what you need and create something new without having to stop to set up anything.

Open chunk.
Select all (data) except time signatures (if desired)
Delete

Start creating.

Shooshie
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

philbrown wrote:I know this isn't dead-on what was asked, but for quick song ideas I keep an omni mic hooked up on my desk and use an app called Tapedeck. http://tapedeckapp.com It's super-fast to use and to me speed is a big deal if ideas are flowing. I can lose them pretty fast.
I use to use a Zoom recorder but the damn thing takes almost as long to boot up as a computer.
That's what I use TwistedWave for in iOS. It's up in a second or two—much faster and more flexible than using Memos, especially when loading previous work. TapeDeck looks nice but redundant for me.

I hear you on the Zoom which is why I use only it for location recording of ensembles anymore.

Everything gets edited in DP, however.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Tapedeck looks useful for some things, and I already own the company's other 2 apps.

I don't have a smartphone otherwise that probably would be a good solution for some things as well.

Thank you for the continued ideas.
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Hello,this was sort of the topic that i wanted to post a question on,so i hope i do right by not starting a new thread!,i couldn't quite read all the answer as my eyes lost track at one point.
One quick aside though,,Mike H ,how do you track then?!.do you load that up and mix down in DP after?.
Anyhow,,now i have my DP Templates complete (so far),all connected to my Mackie console and soundcards in a workable fashion.I can work inside DP,send back,remix physically etc.That is all fine and great.
In the pages previous one person said they have templates that change incrementaly over time,but i do not see it exactly?.I too have 2 main templates one that is a 99% set for mixing on the hardware and returning to DP,,the 2nd is a hybrid of this,with another set of internal stem busses at the bottom so as to further add software dynamics from DP if needed. My first question is if i have started a project in 1 template,,is there no way i can sort of merge the attributes of the other template if and when needed?.Like "apply template" and the exiting one then modifies.My thinking is,there is no need to start a project with more DAW tracks data than needed and might not be needed so start of with the lesser version,,but then what if near the end i see i should have chosen the larger template as the project evolves?..I don't know if that is clear?.Almost like a merge function.Its like,, how can you know,in advance,,and then once "en route" if your template is too small,,the what ,,have i just wasted my time,,and have to start again in the larger one?!..
The other question,,more closer still to the thread,,i too was wondering how to sketch and work things in DP that still do not yet have a solid project identity,,like working on some film sample edits,,preparing them for when a song appears that will be their final home,or "sonic objects",or setting up some song chord sequences,,maybe setting down some intial rhythm parts.I get it that to save time i can have a "sketchbook"project open,,based on a template,,maybe just a simple one,,,and just need to "Save as.But how do i access this work or funnel it into DP when i want to import this "material"into what is now a concrete project with a song name.?..Is this where the "chunks" business kicks in? or do I just have to locate the audio file in the "sketchbook"project and import it?.. What ever the method employed,will this create some physical link between the "sketchbook"project and the final more concrete "song-named"project.?...
One idea i had was,for example,going in one weekend ,,into a load of break-beat rare groove tracks importing them into a project and then doing all the initial prep work,locating samples,,truncating them,cutting away what i do not need etc,,reading then for later work.The same for sampled "sonic objects"...I abandoned this the first time,,i imported several hundred into a project thinking i would then have like a "breakbeat database" project,but things got seriously sluggish..But ,,between loading them all up,and a loading up ?n,,what would be good and workable idea,,? I don't know!.The same would be great for the chord sequences "without a final home idea" I only need 1 track to get a sequence down,so must i really need to open a project for each new chord sequence i want to experiment with,and start to arrange towards taking form as a song?,,can i not open some kind of project "chord sketchbook 1" then "2" etc,,and load up maybe 25 tracks each of chord sequence sketchs,,,then when i get a song titles,lyrics etc,just import this sketch into the more final project? (the best way how,,and if this involves chunks or whatever being the main object of my posting.) Thanks very much for your advice.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

. One quick aside though,,Mike H ,how do you track then?!.do you load that up and mix down in DP after?
Short answer, yes. I've been doing that since I bought DP 2.6 (1998?). I like to record in nice sounding acoustic spaces. My home studio was ok but my church was nicer. Being the music director, I could set up during down time.

Back then I bought a Fostex FD8 and used my 2408 as a standalone analog–ADAT between the FD8 and a Mackie 1642 so that I could record up to 8 tracks at once. I then plugged the MOTU into its 324 card to transfer the tracks to my new beige G3, eight at a time. Cumbersome? Yes but an FD8 was a lot easier to move around than a G3. The Fostex had an analog mixer and sounded much nicer than any other port-a-studio device I could find at the time.

Fast forward 25+ years. The equipment only has changed. Nowadays, I record up to two tracks on my iPhone or iPad using a stereo mic or up to eight simultaneously on a Zoom R24. Everything including an Onyx-8 mic pre fits into a briefcase and weighs about 8lb + microphones and stands. I am now handicapped and have moved; I no longer have a church job. Neither can I just pick up an instrument and play. Everything starts with a chart; I don't improvise one-handed on a keyboard and never did. If acoustic, tracks start in my living room—sounds good and has an excellent piano. My wife and or friends are playing. Otherwise, I export the MIDI to DP and go from there.

Everything goes into DP. I can import via iTunes from iOS or an SDHC card from the Zoom. Even though TwistedWave and the R24 have editing capabilities and available effects, I never use them.

I have recovered to the point that I can perform again. For solo performance, everything is exported mono to TwistedWave on an iPad. I give a 1/4" cable to the sound guy and I'm good to go. TW lets me find an accompaniment, load it and hit Play in a fraction of a second.

When I am with one of my bands, I use a Line6 keyboard plugged into my iPad if I'm playing keys (right handed only) or I play one of the GarageBand basses tapping on the glass if I'm the bass player. It took awhile before I could do it and sing at the same time but I learned.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

Hey Mike,,thanks for sharing that,,and sorry to here about that handicap,,but good to know you are not letting it stop you.! I am in Europe,,we have some nice church acoustics here,,,! Best...etc..!
grouse

Post by grouse »

For what it's worth, I also have a "Blank Test File" DP project.
In fact, I have 2.
One has a few random soundbites it it, short and long decay (like a few drum hits and synth pads).
I use this to test delays, reverbs, other plug-ins etc.
The other is blank with the exception of tracks ready to record my mics/ other inputs. I use it for musical ideas or, for example, to examine/ edit a waveform.
Then, if needed, I export the audio, close the project and don't save it.
The DP file is always there on my desktop and always 'blank'.
I use it all the time and it's efficient.
DP 7.24, Focusrite 18i20, 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, OSX 10.9.5, 4 GB RAM, Reason 10, Kontakt, Motif +++
IKKAKUJUU

Post by IKKAKUJUU »

OK Grouse,,thanks,,,maybe that is all i need to do then,,,sketch and edit in a file,,,then just export the audio,as and when needed,import to the current project.