Does DP9 use the graphic coprocessor for number crunching?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Does DP9 use the graphic coprocessor for number crunching?

Post by MikeInBoston »

Does anybody know? I think some 3D applications take advantage of the graphic coprocessor to aid the main processor when doing heavy-duty computations. It seems DP could receive a benefit when computing reverbs, delays, and other time-based plug-ins, among other things.

My MacBook Pro has a quad-core i7 and a built in NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. I'm running Mac OS 10.9.5.

This isn't a life or death question for me. I'm just curious if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Mike
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Does DP9 use the graphic coprocessor for number crunchin

Post by Robert Randolph »

It does not.

GPU processing is not very useful for most audio processes. There are a few select plugins that use your GPU, but they are fairly rare.

AFAIK, no DAW does this.
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

Thank you, Robert. That's very interesting. Now I know.

Mike
bralston

Post by bralston »

DP does tap into the graphics processor but NOT for audio processing. It is farming out its video engine to the GPU.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

DAWs don't but some plugs do, but none, AFAIK on a Mac, because they require CUDA.

Ala: http://www.liquidsonics.com/software_reverberate_le.htm
'GPU Edition utilises the power of NVIDIA CUDA'
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku