Multi MIDI bouncing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tunazzina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Multi MIDI bouncing

Post by tunazzina »

Hello Members,

I have seen a similar post for this but it did not address my question. So I am asking here.

I use DP 7 but do not any external digital mixer. I use an 8 channel Presonus Mobile Firestudio as my sound interface. Currently all my DP instrument outputs route to Output Stream 1 1-2 (see screenshot).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmhjp8s6ziti7 ... .tiff?dl=0

When I load a single VST instance, say Kontakt 4, and load three different samples instruments in it (Berlin Piano, Bass, and Pad), I assign the three instruments to 3 different MIDI tracks.

When it comes time to bounce or even freeze, I need to do this 3 times (once for each MIDI track).

I tried to route the output of each MIDI instrument to different channels but they only show st.1 (2 ch. routed 1|2) and st.2 (2 ch. routed 3|4). I went into Bundles hoping I can create virtual outputs for each VST instance such that the sound of each instrument in the VST instance goes to a separate audio, but could not figure it quite out.

In this configuration, is there a quicker way to lay down the 3 MIDI tracks into 3 separate audio tracks?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Adam
williemyers

Re: Multi MIDI bouncing

Post by williemyers »

Adam, I'm far from an expert on this - there are LOADZ of 'em on this forum! - but if you want to wind up with 3 separate tracks, I think you are going to have to make 3 bounces - - simply because, when you look at the Bounce window to make, for example, a .wav bounce, you can only select a single Input source for that bounce. So, even if you set up your VI to output to 3 differing locations, you'll have to do 3 bounces - each one selecting a differing Input.
guys?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
doodles

Post by doodles »

You can either do 3 separate freezes, or:

set the 3 MIDI instruments outputs to different AUX outs. create 3 new stereo tracks, with the input on each set to the respective AUX outs. Then hit record.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

doodles wrote:You can either do 3 separate freezes, or:

set the 3 MIDI instruments outputs to different AUX outs. create 3 new stereo tracks, with the input on each set to the respective AUX outs. Then hit record.
I like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

tunazzina

Post by tunazzina »

doodles wrote:You can either do 3 separate freezes, or:

I like this option a lot too. I just don't know how to set MIDI tracks to aux tracks. I know how to assign aux tracks to stereo tracks. Thank you for this idea!!!! Please note, 3 tracks is just an example number I use. My scores get as big as anyone else's with close 50+ tracks. So it would be nice to know of a way to audiofy the MIDI tracks quickly without freezing one at a time.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

tunazzina wrote:I like this option a lot too. I just don't know how to set MIDI tracks to aux tracks.
You don't set MIDI tracks to Aux tracks. You set the outputs of the Virtual Instrument to Aux Tracks.

E.g, create an Instrument track and have it showing in the Tracks window. Create a MIDI track and set its output to the Instrument. The MIDI track data now plays the Instrument, and Instrument probably outputs to your main Stereo Outs. Now click and hold on the output for the Instrument (in the Output column in the Track window. One option is "new Aux Track via new stereo bundle". Select that, and the output of the instrument goes to an Aux track, which in turn goes to the main Stereo outputs.

Now you can reroute the output of the Aux track via a bus to a new Audio track which can then record the output of the Instrument.

Note that if you have Instruments with multiple output pairs, you should use the Bundles window to set up the outputs past the first pair. Then route each of the output pairs to separate Aux tracks if you want to be able to bus and record pairs to separate Audio tracks.

There is a simpler way without Aux tracks: when you've done the above, you'll see busses created to route the audio from the Instrument, to the Aux, to the Audio track. Just use the busses to route directly from the Instrument output pairs to Audio tracks. Put the Audio track in monitoring mode by pressing the Mon button in that column in the Tracks window. (You have to do this so you can hear the output of the Instrument. The reason for using Aux tracks is they do not have to be in Monitor mode.)

Group the Audio tracks created above so they can all be set to record mode at the same time. When ready, set one of them to record, then press play, and you're done.

You can set up all this as you build the project, with one Audio track set for each output of each Instrument, or set it as a template if you use the same general set of Instruments for each project.

To reduce the screen clutter, use folders and track view options. In the early part of the project you can have the MIDI tracks showing, with the Audio hidden. The when ready to render the MIDI to audio, switch the view to show the audio tracks and hide the MIDI and Instruments. Using common track colours and track names for the MIDI and Audio versions of the tracks helps too.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
tunazzina

Post by tunazzina »

bayswater wrote:
tunazzina wrote:I like this option a lot too. I just don't know how to set MIDI tracks to aux tracks.
You don't set MIDI tracks to Aux tracks. You set the outputs of the Virtual Instrument to Aux Tracks.....
Does this work when I have multiple samples loaded in one instance of an instrument? I open say Kontakt 4 instrument and within it say I load 5 different sample instruments. How can I route the sound coming from each sample to a different bus or aux?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Inside Kontakt you route different instruments to difference outputs. You can then access these outputs in the routing to Aux and Audio channels.
tunazzina

Post by tunazzina »

bayswater wrote:Inside Kontakt you route different instruments to difference outputs. You can then access these outputs in the routing to Aux and Audio channels.
That's what I said in my very original post I had trouble with. I can't see more than channel 1 and 2 in each MIDI sample inside a single instance of Kontakt.
frankf

Multi MIDI bouncing

Post by frankf »

I suggest that you read the Kontakt manual and/or go to the Native Instruments site and look there for help in routing an instrument's output to a channel in Kontakt's internal mixer and how that channel gets published to DP where it shows in the Bundles window to be routed internally in DP. The Bundles section of the DP User's Manual is a necessary read for understanding DP's extremely flexible routing capability. Understanding audio (and MIDI) routing in and between both DP and the VIs you are using, is essential for achieving the results you are looking for.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

tunazzina wrote:
bayswater wrote:Inside Kontakt you route different instruments to difference outputs. You can then access these outputs in the routing to Aux and Audio channels.
That's what I said in my very original post I had trouble with. I can't see more than channel 1 and 2 in each MIDI sample inside a single instance of Kontakt.
Here's a picture of a simplified setup for doing this. To record, arm the tracks and hit record. Each Kontakt instrument will record into it's corresponding track.

Link to larger version of this image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/184 ... t-full.jpg

p.s. -- I just noticed that in my haste, I got the track names wrong, but that doesn't affect the way it works.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

tunazzina wrote:
What Frank said: In the Kontakt manual. Or google Kontakt output and the first thing that appears is this.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... sequencer/
tunazzina

Post by tunazzina »

Gentlemen. You all are ver helpful. Let me review your suggestions. I always thought I might be limited in terms of outputs because I do not have external digital mixer channels.
frankf

Post by frankf »

bayswater wrote:
tunazzina wrote:
What Frank said: In the Kontakt manual. Or google Kontakt output and the first thing that appears is this.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... sequencer/
Thanks Bayswater, the link explains the KT side much better than I. And where I wrote KT Mixer it should have been Outputs section
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
tunazzina

Post by tunazzina »

Dear Members,

You have all been of great help. I followed your advice and the tutorials you pointed me to. Very happy to share that I was able to set up my routing for simultaneous audio recording of MIDI samples. This will shave off valuable time from my pre-mixing workflow.

Again, thank you so much guys!

Adam