Set Soundbite Tempo—Any Suggestions Welcome

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Set Soundbite Tempo—Any Suggestions Welcome

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi.......
I've always had a challenge with what should be a fairly simple process, in importing a lengthy soundbite (a full track) and syncing it to my sequence (or vice-versa).

In this case, I'm tracking some stems to play along with when my old band gets back together next month to lighten the load on our keyboard player, who used to cover all that stuff live. Basic stuff—click on one channel for the drummer and horns/strings on the other to send to the house.

I've built a simple template in DP9 and want to bring in the original track, so I can simply "play along" and re-create the horn and string parts in my VIs. Seems simple enough, right?

The first song I'm working on is Quincy Jones' "Stuff Like That". DP interprets the average tempo as 120.94, but in truth it's closer to 120. Surprisingly, the tempo on the track drifts pretty significantly.... too much to average it. "Adjust soundbite to sequence tempo" produces garbage. I suppose I could "adjust beats" for the whole 6:18 track, but what I'd have then is a sequence that drifts along with the track when what I want is a track that conforms to a consistent sequence tempo.

Any suggestions on how I can align this track to a steady tempo? Thanks in advance.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Basstrup

Re: Set Soundbite Tempo—Any Suggestions Welcome

Post by Basstrup »

As I understand it you are you going to use the imported audio for anything else than guide?

In this case I usually cut the soundbite where it starts to drift go 4 - 8 bars further cut than edge drag to make the selection fit to your grid - and so on...
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, Basstrup. Yes—the imported track is for use as a guide track only. Your idea is as good as anything I've thought of—and considerably easier. Thanks!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

You should try using Record Beats and then Adjust Beats.

If all you want is a tempo map synced to your track, I'd say this is the best and easiest way to do it hands down, especially if the tempo varies.

Your tempo map will be as precise as your tapping, which you can tweak to perfection if you need to after-the-fact.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, FMiguelez.

What you describe will bring things together, but I'll have the opposite of what I want, tempo-wise; which would be a sequence that follows the tempo variations of my guide track instead of a guide track that's synced to my sequence tempo.

If I map the tempos, I wonder if there's a way to associate that tempo map as the tempo(s) of the soundbite. If so, I could then set a consistent tempo for the sequence and Set Soundbite to Sequence Tempo. Never tried that with a soundbite that had an intricate tempo map. Does anyone know if that works?
Rick Cornish

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Rick Cornish wrote:I'll have the opposite of what I want, tempo-wise; which would be a sequence that follows the tempo variations of my guide track instead of a guide track that's synced to my sequence tempo.
There are two commands: Adjust Soundbite to Sequence Tempos, and Adjust Sequence to Soundbite Tempo. If you want a project with a tempo map that follows the guide track, you do what FM says with Adjust Beats applied to the guide track audio, then apply the latter command. If the guide track has good transients at beats, DP will detect them, and you can edit them in the Sound Editor to fine tune the timing.

I've found it easier to record a new audio track with something like a hat sample that follows the beat of the guide track, and then use that Soundbite in the "Adjust" command instead of the actual guide track, and not bother at all with Record or Adjust Beats. DP is not that good at detecting a varying tempo in a more complex audio track. (not that other DAWs are any better at it)
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote: I've found it easier to record a new audio track with something like a hat sample that follows the beat of the guide track, and then use that Soundbite in the "Adjust" command instead of the actual guide track, and not bother at all with Record or Adjust Beats. DP is not that good at detecting a varying tempo in a more complex audio track. (not that other DAWs are any better at it)
Nice!
I'll try that next time. Thanks for the tip 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:
bayswater wrote: I've found it easier to record a new audio track with something like a hat sample that follows the beat of the guide track, and then use that Soundbite in the "Adjust" command instead of the actual guide track, and not bother at all with Record or Adjust Beats. DP is not that good at detecting a varying tempo in a more complex audio track. (not that other DAWs are any better at it)
Nice!
I'll try that next time. Thanks for the tip 8)
Just don't forget to apply the Analyze Soundbite Tempo command to the new recording, if it doesn't get done automatically.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8