There's a new build of 9.02 on the MOTU site

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: There's a new build of 9.02 on the MOTU site

Post by dewdman42 »

There is no question that at the very least if they are going to update the 9.02 distribution, there should be some indicator on the website that the download has been updated. Even if they just change the date that is indicated there, it would be helpful in that regard or display the extra build number info without having to install it and check the splash screen to find out.

I also got the email. I was hoping this was going to fix the duplicate MIDI port bug, but it did not.

9.02 was simply not ready for prime time. MOTU really ought to reel it back in at this point and let us continue on 9.01 until its truly ready. None of us should have to be wasting any time on this.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

dewdman42 wrote:9.02 was simply not ready for prime time. MOTU really ought to reel it back in at this point and let us continue on 9.01 until its truly ready. None of us should have to be wasting any time on this.

No offence, but it's working pretty well for me. :wink:

I should add, that I have been where you are- where my stuff's not getting fixed with the newest update, but others here think it rocks.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

you obviously haven't been following. MOTU broke a number of things with 9.02. Sorry no offense to you, but those are the facts. It should be called a beta release.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:To the guys at MOTU:

We all love that you are fixing things at a rapid rate these days. The response time and turnaround for fixing bugs — some of which are long-standing, but still irritating — has been faster than we've ever seen at MOTU. However, sometimes it seems like the mythical Hydra of the Greek tales: cut off one head of the monster, and two grow back.

My personal opinion about this is that your beta testers are failing you. Beta testing needs to go out to people who are willing to try all the menus and commands, as well as see how it performs in their daily work. If you don't try all the possibilities you know about, you won't see the bugs.

I want the fast service as much as anyone, but I caution you to pull back a moment and coax your beta testers into delving in, pushing the envelope and finding the problems. Otherwise, MIDI Life Crisis is right: we're all beta testers.

I recently reported a problem that was forwarded to the programmers. While I want "my" bug fixed, like, yesterday, I know it's better to wait until you get it right. I'm willing. For almost 30 years, I've used DP, and the #1 thing that has always amazed me about it has been the reliability. More than ANY OTHER software I've ever used, I knew I could rely on DP to work properly all the time. With a system configured just for DP, it simply never crashed or screwed up in any way. The only time I lost paid studio time was when the copy protection scheme screwed up, my key disks didn't work, and you guys Fed-Exed another to me clear to Hollywood the next day. (early 1990s) That's an amazing track record. DP is famous among working musicians for a number of reasons, and you are constantly giving us even more reasons to love it. But let's be sure that the #1 star in its crown remains: Reliability.

Meanwhile, thank you for the excellent work, the attention to our requests, and the attempts to get it back to us as quickly as possible.

Shooshie
+1 on the beta tester opinion
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I use DP a lot and have been recommended to be a beta tester but never asked to actually be one. It's no skin off my back. Maybe I have a bad rep here LOL (maybe...) but don't you want critical people testing your software? :unicorn: :deadhorse:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Just a guess, but it's very possible that the new bugs are the result of the underlying changes to the engine that MOTU are implementing for the NextGen PreGen update coming up? I mean it would explain why we get random seeming bugs with such a (relatively) small update to the TO. If they're changing the way Pre- Rendering works in a future update, they might be changing things 'behind the scenes' that introduce the odd bug or two, and better now than all at once in a deluge upon release of a generous unpaid for upgrade.

Not knocking the idea of more beta team members, some software I own [cough]Cakewalk OSX plug ins[/cough] it seems like there are maybe two people. MOTU isn't that bad, but I'm curious as to whether they doubled their amount of beta testers when they ported to Windows? They would need to, and it's very possible that's part of the equation here. In the bigger picture I would say that this is the Storm Before the Calm, the frantic preparation and stressed versions that come out before a solid upgrade with extremely low latency and CPU use.

Hopefully new updates roll out, I'm working fine with 9.02 619 etc. but that's obviously not the case for everyone. If I had a choice in the matter I would vote for the bypass automation bug as priority, since it was around before the latest version of 9...
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: but don't you want critical people testing your software? :unicorn: :deadhorse:
Generally speaking the joke is developers don't, but tech support does.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by delcosmos »

dewdman42 wrote:There is no question that at the very least if they are going to update the 9.02 distribution, there should be some indicator on the website that the download has been updated. Even if they just change the date that is indicated there, it would be helpful in that regard or display the extra build number info without having to install it and check the splash screen to find out.

I also got the email. I was hoping this was going to fix the duplicate MIDI port bug, but it did not.

9.02 was simply not ready for prime time. MOTU really ought to reel it back in at this point and let us continue on 9.01 until its truly ready. None of us should have to be wasting any time on this.
Hi! DP 9.02 is working great here. I'm not using it for film scoring with video. I'm just producing pop music and for my needs everything is working great!

Btw, I'm using the first installer, the second one breaks the integration with Vocalign on my computer.

What I find funny is that after reading this thread I ran to Motu's website to download the supposed new installer only to find that its the same they released on February 3rd.

Best.
Last edited by delcosmos on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

no its not the same one. They have not updated the date on their webpage since Feb 2, but they have updated the installer several times since then.
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

dewdman42 wrote:no its not the same one. They have not updated the date on their webpage since Feb 2, but they have updated the installer several times since then.

Yesterday I downloaded DP's 9.02 installer and the build reads (69167).
Thats the build of the second installer they released 20 days ago.

Now I'm confused!
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

and I just got an email from MOTU yesterday telling me to download it again since it has been updated. I have been watching that date on the webpage since the day 9.02 was released and its never been updated, even though there have been several announcements about it having been quietly updated with a build number change that can't even be detected until you install it and check the splash screen, which apparently is not even always updating itself.

Mine, downloaded this morning and installed, says 69167, FWIW.

Yea..the whole situation is wonky, that's all I can say..
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

dewdman42 wrote:and I just got an email from MOTU yesterday telling me to download it again since it has been updated. I have been watching that date on the webpage since the day 9.02 was released and its never been updated, even though there have been several announcements about it having been quietly updated with a build number change that can't even be detected until you install it and check the splash screen, which apparently is not even always updating itself.

Would be great if someone from motu jumps in and explain all these.

Its very confusing that the first installer reads one number and the second shared the same build with the third.

I'm gonna try it.

Thanks for the info.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

This new build is UNUSABLE for me. Not only because of the DP-MachFive fiasco, bit it is very unstable, etc. Whatever they did, they made it worse with this new version.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

dewdman42 wrote:you obviously haven't been following. MOTU broke a number of things with 9.02. Sorry no offense to you, but those are the facts.
Honestly you're right, I haven't been following. I've been working with it, and I guess I've been mostly lucky so far. I just built a medium/large template for production music with around 200+ MIDI tracks and maybe 40 Virtual instruments, mostly hosted in VE Pro. I've been taking it for test runs and it seems to work well. What I have not added to the template yet, are my Mach Five instances, I'll probably end up with 4 or 5 of those. But after reading the thread Felix wrote in the troubleshooting forum, I'm getting a little nervous about it.

However, as some have noted, M5 and DP have always had problems working together- and the recent UVI release/split, plus my intuition, tell me that MOTU is gonna drop it, sooner than later. Gotta figure out a way to get my custom sample sets into Kontakt.

I have had some weird MIDI stuff going on, but that's been with DP9 from the start here.. and I have workarounds for most of it now.

Also, last night I had a document become corrupt, with some strange manifestations that make little sense, Problems I've never seen in DP. Fortunately, I was able to load our work into a new document. I will probably write this experience in the other forum when I have a little more time.

You know, the more I write, the more I realize this software is unstable. It hasn't shut me down, so I guess I'm OK if and until it does.. but I'm with you guys, I can't afford to be a beta tester right now. My projects are all time sensitive..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

dewdman42 wrote:and I just got an email from MOTU yesterday telling me to download it again since it has been updated. I have been watching that date on the webpage since the day 9.02 was released and its never been updated, even though there have been several announcements about it having been quietly updated with a build number change that can't even be detected until you install it and check the splash screen, which apparently is not even always updating itself.

Same build number from a couple of weeks ago.

And again - no emails from MOTU. Is there anything in my MOTU account profile I should check to see if I'm supposed to get email notifications?