What's your favorite theme?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What's your favorite theme?

Post by Killahurts »

I've really tried to like the new "Nine" theme, but the colors are not right for me. It's hard for me to see because of the intense grayness of it all.. and the "2D" look.

I know many of you are like me, spending several hours a day in front of DP, so what is your favorite (non-fatiguing) theme?

I know Andy at http://ampguimods.net is working on getting his excellent themes up to speed, and we can include those in the discussion.. but what about the stock themes?

Seems like we have the darker themes covered, but we're kind of lacking in the lighter ones.. I always ultimately end up going with "Eight", or my modified version of Andy's "Night", which needs updating before it can be truly complete.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
cuttime

Re: What's your favorite theme?

Post by cuttime »

I keep trying them all and I always end up going back to "Producer".
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Hawaii Five-0.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

HCMarkus wrote:Hawaii Five-0.
I hope you get "Welcome Back Kotter" stuck in your head till Thursday afternoon. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I would be one who likes the new 9 Theme. I mostly use Carbon Fiber Red, and None More Black. I'm one for low light environments when working on music. Mo-Tools if I need a bright theme.

I second Hawaii Five-O and add in the Odd Couple and Barney Miller for my personal 70's triad of great TV themes. :headbang:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

It used to be exclusively the Plasma theme for me, but now I switch between Plasma and the new 9 theme, depending on mood, time of the day or night, status of my eyes, etc.

The only thing I should try to fix is the background of the MIDI edit window and SE. I would do it less brown, so I can see better contrast with the MIDI CC and automation lines. But I better NOT go there, because tend to be a little obsessive and I know I would waste so much time fiddling with those things (deep DP theme manipulation).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MOTools, with a few tweaks to improve visibility of active tabs, column headings, and a few icons.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

FMiguelez wrote:The only thing I should try to fix is the background of the MIDI edit window and SE. I would do it less brown, so I can see better contrast with the MIDI CC and automation lines. But I better NOT go there, because tend to be a little obsessive and I know I would waste so much time fiddling with those things (deep DP theme manipulation).
Yeah exactly. I have ventured to change the MIDI edit window a few times.. that's usually the one, especially with darker themes, that I need to lighten up.

I don't expect a full on interface for customizing themes, although that would be very cool. But it would be nice to expand on the few controls we have in preferences.

I tried None More Black today and I kind of liked it.. but I felt the strain and now I can't see anything in front of my face clearly. Guess I need the brighter themes with these old eyes.

The Barney Miller theme is also one of my favorites.. love the bass at the beginning.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

One of my own themes - based on the NanoKontrol2 buttons, some elements of Nine default theme, and an Aladdin Sane picture on the counter thingy (what's it called again?).
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Killahurts wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Hawaii Five-0.
I hope you get "Welcome Back Kotter" stuck in your head till Thursday afternoon. :wink:
:rofl: That would be painful.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

I am one of those who the stock DP themes just kill my eyes. There are several whose 'parts' I really like, but none where I can zip from TO to SE to MIDI editor to mixer where it all 'feels' right. Only Andys. And for the past two years I have been using Mellow.

I cannot wait for the updated Amplidood version. It'll be like Santa Claus.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Guitar Gaz wrote:One of my own themes - based on the NanoKontrol2 buttons, some elements of Nine default theme, and an Aladdin Sane picture on the counter thingy (what's it called again?)
Outstanding! I got a NanoKontrol 2 just a few weeks ago- it does have pretty cool buttons..

Man I wish I had the time (and more importantly, patience) to trick out a theme like that!

I think it's called the wiper.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Killahurts wrote: Outstanding! I got a NanoKontrol 2 just a few weeks ago- it does have pretty cool buttons..

Man I wish I had the time (and more importantly, patience) to trick out a theme like that!

I think it's called the wiper.
The wiper! Of course. Actually these themes only take a little while to do once you know how - its a tweak of the Nine theme. I took photos of the buttons and then using Paint 2 (and occasionally Preview) pasted them over the other ones. So it doesn't take long but is very useful when you want to customise a look which helps the workflow. If you are interested I can try and make this available for download?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

For the last 3-4 years, I've been parked in Amplidood's Mellow.

Everytimes, I've tried a new one, I always went back to this one after a while.

So "Mellow" it is...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.