sidechaining question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

sidechaining question

Post by musicman691 »

Have a question on sidechaining. I know how to do it so that's not the question. Create a bus, send to that bus from a track and use that bus as the trigger for whatever I want to sidechain. My question is: I notice in the plugin that I want to use the sidechain there are audio tracks already in my session available as sidechain sources. Should I be able to use those tracks as the sidechain trigger? When I try that the sidechain doesn't work.
csavetman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: sidechaining question

Post by csavetman »

In my experience, if the compressor shows tracks in the side chain drop down menu, it should work. Which compressor is it?
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

csavetman wrote:In my experience, if the compressor shows tracks in the side chain drop down menu, it should work. Which compressor is it?
Blue Cat Dynamics
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

If you're selecting one of the available side chain options and it's not working then I would assume the problem is the with the plugin
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Sean Kenny wrote:If you're selecting one of the available side chain options and it's not working then I would assume the problem is the with the plugin
That's the thing I can't be sure of because it's not explicit that I should be able to select anything in the sidechain list. Seems that way but like many other things in DP that may not be the case.
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

musicman691 wrote:
Sean Kenny wrote:If you're selecting one of the available side chain options and it's not working then I would assume the problem is the with the plugin
That's the thing I can't be sure of because it's not explicit that I should be able to select anything in the sidechain list. Seems that way but like many other things in DP that may not be the case.

If the side chain feature is available in the plugin GUI then I'm sure it's meant to work.

Just a thought.... if you have the track (with plugin on) solo'd at the time you are trying this then you need to make sure that the aux send, on the side-chain 'source track', is set to Pre Fader (the small button marked 'P'), otherwise it's send is muted when you solo the track with the plugin on.

Think of it as a 'solo-safe' button for the aux send (only)
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Sean Kenny wrote:
musicman691 wrote:

If the side chain feature is available in the plugin GUI then I'm sure it's meant to work.

Just a thought.... if you have the track (with plugin on) solo'd at the time you are trying this then you need to make sure that the aux send, on the side-chain 'source track', is set to Pre Fader (the small button marked 'P'), otherwise it's send is muted when you solo the track with the plugin on.

Think of it as a 'solo-safe' button for the aux send (only)
Thanks for that last bit of info; I've not run into that here but in other instances.