All Notes Off MIDI question (resolved)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

All Notes Off MIDI question (resolved)

Post by Phil O »

Please forgive my ignorance. MIDI is NOT my thing. With that said, I hope my questions don't sound stupid.

I'm working with a client right now that has a Roland D-20. It's sending frequent All Notes Off messages and they are causing all sorts of problems.
First question - Can I delete these from the MIDI tracks without causing worse problems?
And second - Can I filter these out with the input filter so they don't get recorded in the first place, and if so, how?

Thanks
Last edited by Phil O on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Re: All Notes Off MIDI question

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a weird one. Usually a "Panic" button sends out the all-notes off in a stuck-note situation. Having them come in via sequence is unusual. I don't know why anyone would want to record them anyway. Some "All-Notes-Off" commands sends lots of note-offs! What are you seeing in the MIDI tracks?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There is a "all notes off" MIDI Control Change message. The value is 123 or 7B. It's listed with the MODE messages, like Omni, Poly, etc. The Roland might send that out, but I don't know why DP would record it. You certainly wouldn't want a sequencer recording and sending that message out, except by purposely hitting the panic button.

Maybe use MIDI Monitor to see if and when message is being sent out, and whether DP is actually sending it.

I don't see an obvious selection in the DP MIDI filter (or the MIDI Monitor filter) to address All Notes Off messages. In fact it would probably be bad form for an app to filter it out -- sort of defeats the purpose.

Probably fixing the D-20 is the way to deal with this.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Check the commands window. Maybe a MIDI note is triggering it?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks, guys. I'm assuming it's safe to delete these. I'll be making a copy of one of the songs and experimenting with exactly that.

After finding a few obscure messages on other boards, it seems this was a problem with some older keyboards (although I didn't find the D-20 mentioned specifically). I don't understand the details, but apparently this was implemented by some manufacturers in order to solve some other problem, but it didn't work out so well.
bayswater wrote:There is a "all notes off" MIDI Control Change message. The value is 123 or 7B. It's listed with the MODE messages, like Omni, Poly, etc. The Roland might send that out, but I don't know why DP would record it. You certainly wouldn't want a sequencer recording and sending that message out, except by purposely hitting the panic button.

I don't see an obvious selection in the DP MIDI filter (or the MIDI Monitor filter) to address All Notes Off messages. In fact it would probably be bad form for an app to filter it out -- sort of defeats the purpose.

Probably fixing the D-20 is the way to deal with this.
The Event List just says "All Notes Off" (with no symbol) and if I do a Search, searching for "All Notes Off" under Mode Change finds it.
stubbsonic wrote:What are you seeing in the MIDI tracks?
Just a rectangle with "A.N.Off" in it. They seem to appear when a chord is released, as in multiple keys released at the same time. I'm seeing anywhere from 10 to 100's per MIDI track.

Thanks again guys,
Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Well, I just found this post on Analogue Heaven from 2006:

"Oakley sound writes:
>>Personally, I wouldn't bother. I use my D-50 almost only as a controller these days. Although, I should add that the D-20 also probably sends 'all notes off' every time you take your hands off the keyboard. This can send some VSTi plugs mad, so you normally have to filter it out somehow.<<

Ah ha. You just confirmed what I've suspected about some of my Roland keyboards and was about to try to confirm what was actually causing the problem. It's that damn "all notes off" crap that Roland seems to send. My Roland RD-1000 piano also has that problem. And TC-Helicon released some ROM upgrade to solve some kind of Roland A-70 MIDI controller keyboard incompatibility, which may also be that same problem, but I need to test mine and see if it's the same problem."
Last edited by Phil O on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote:The Event List just says "All Notes Off" (with no symbol) and if I do a Search, searching for "All Notes Off" under Mode Change finds it.
So you should be able to filter out Mode Changes, as long as you don't need other messages in that class, which seems unlikely.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks B. I'll give that a try.

P
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote:Well, I just found this post on Analogue Heaven from 2006:
Interesting. I had a D-110 for a very long time, which was pretty much the same overall architecture as the D10/20. I never saw that problem. I don't remember, but maybe there is a control to turn mode change messages off.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

bayswater wrote:So you should be able to filter out Mode Changes, as long as you don't need other messages in that class, which seems unlikely.
Thanks B. It worked like a charm. :D
Philippe