BFD 3 drum plug in for DP - install trouble

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rmeitin
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

BFD 3 drum plug in for DP - install trouble

Post by rmeitin »

Hi - anyone using BFD3? I think the installer put files in weird places and so the plugin is finding it impossible to find locate and load drums. I'd appreciate talking with anyone who has a successful installation. Maybe I can check the file placement with you.

Rich
waxman

Re: BFD 3 drum plug in for DP - install trouble

Post by waxman »

Yes I use BFD 3... I put the sounds on another disk drive 7200 RPM... The installer prompts you to do on where to put the content. There are also sections in the program where you can look for the sound sources. Did it install on your computer or your external drive?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
rmeitin

Post by rmeitin »

waxman wrote:Yes I use BFD 3... I put the sounds on another disk drive 7200 RPM... The installer prompts you to do on where to put the content. There are also sections in the program where you can look for the sound sources. Did it install on your computer or your external drive?
Hey, Waxman -

Thanks for responding ...

The problem I am having is that the installer did something buggy. First of all, it didn't ask me where I wanted the flies. It just put them in some weird places. Some folders (like the Kit configurations) are in a subfolder inside of the Documents folder (which makes sense) but a bunch of other folders - including the audio - are buried way the hell out about 8 or 9 subfolders deep in the Downloads folder. The little app that scans for the sounds couldn't even find those suckers, even after I pointed it there.

So I made a new nest of folders on my 7200 hard drive called "FXpansion -> BFD3 -> Audio, and in the last one I have all the audio kits 1-7 and percussion kit. But the scanner won't find THAT at all! Just ignores it completely.

I was figuring that if I could find someone with BFD3 like you, I could get a screen shot of where these folders all belong, I could put them there manually, and then the app might work.

Thoughts?

THANS again! I am going nuts.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

rmeitin wrote:
waxman wrote:Yes I use BFD 3... I put the sounds on another disk drive 7200 RPM... The installer prompts you to do on where to put the content. There are also sections in the program where you can look for the sound sources. Did it install on your computer or your external drive?
Hey, Waxman -

Thanks for responding ...

The problem I am having is that the installer did something buggy. First of all, it didn't ask me where I wanted the flies. It just put them in some weird places. Some folders (like the Kit configurations) are in a subfolder inside of the Documents folder (which makes sense) but a bunch of other folders - including the audio - are buried way the hell out about 8 or 9 subfolders deep in the Downloads folder. The little app that scans for the sounds couldn't even find those suckers, even after I pointed it there.

So I made a new nest of folders on my 7200 hard drive called "FXpansion -> BFD3 -> Audio, and in the last one I have all the audio kits 1-7 and percussion kit. But the scanner won't find THAT at all! Just ignores it completely.

I was figuring that if I could find someone with BFD3 like you, I could get a screen shot of where these folders all belong, I could put them there manually, and then the app might work.

Thoughts?

THANS again! I am going nuts.
BFD3 is real picky about where things get installed. When I did my install (I also had BFD2 installed) I followed the instructions fxpansion said to do to the letter. Certain things have to nest in certain places. My samples drive is an external drive. Unfortunately I don't have a photo sharing account anywheres so I can't post a screenshot but I'll describe where my files are. The samples (aka BFD3 Core Library) path is: samples/BFD3 Core Library. In that folder are two main folders. One called Audio which has folders labeled BFD 3 Kit 1 through BFD 3 Kit 7 and a folder labeled Percussion pieces. The other folder in the BFD 3 Core Library folder is labeled Grooves and that has two subfolders. One is labeled Jacques Mathisa and the other Platinum Samples.

Now for the BFD 3 program itself. Program in the Applications folder. In library/applications support there's an fxpansion folder with all kinds of stuff for BFD2, BFD3. And in MacHD/users/user name there's an fxpansion folder that has stuff for BFD2 and BFD3. The BFD 3 folder has subfolders marked Favourites, Grooves, Kits, Maps, Mixers, Playlists, Presets, Processed Drums, Profiles, Searches, Swing Templates (all user created bits and bobs).

Have you properly pointed BFD 3 itself in the 'setup content locations' under the tools menu? Note that you can have BFD scan selected folders, drives, etc. That way you can let the program do the grunt work for you.

I'd also suggest posting about this over on the fxpansion forums but be aware that there's a bug in the beta forum software they're running. If you have it setup to automatically send an email notification when there's been a reply to your post it currently isn't working so you have to go back periodically to check. The user base there is pretty knowledgeable.

What version of OSX are you running?
rmeitin

Post by rmeitin »

Hi Jack!

I have a MacBook Pro that's 2-3 years old. OS 10.9.5

Question- the audio files themselves - the ones containing the sounds - are .bfdca files, yes? They show up in the finder pane descriptor as "executable unix files." Do you have the same thing? Odd looking files. I was wondering whether maybe I downloaded the PC version by mistake, but I don't think so.

Also, to be clear, your external drive has a FOLDER on it called "samples?" so you get [hard drive name] ->samples -> BFD3 core library -> (audio folder and grooves folder)? Or -- is the NAME of your hard drive "samples" and when you open the drive up, you immediately see a folder called BFD3 core library?

ALSO! You said "And in MacHD/users/user name there's an fxpansion folder that has stuff for BFD2 and BFD3." - In my installation, that Fxpansion folder is in the "MacHD/users/user name/documents" folder. Can you confirm that yours is NOT in the documents folder in this similar path?

Thanks again for your help and detailed answer!
waxman

Post by waxman »

Jack helped me last time... and he is right if you start moving content around all kinds of gremlins start showing up.... the sounds, receipts, program, presets are all over the place. I still have doubles on a few pieces because I had install problems also... But I use it every day and love it...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

rmeitin wrote:Hi Jack!

I have a MacBook Pro that's 2-3 years old. OS 10.9.5

Question- the audio files themselves - the ones containing the sounds - are .bfdca files, yes? They show up in the finder pane descriptor as "executable unix files." Do you have the same thing? Odd looking files. I was wondering whether maybe I downloaded the PC version by mistake, but I don't think so.

Also, to be clear, your external drive has a FOLDER on it called "samples?" so you get [hard drive name] ->samples -> BFD3 core library -> (audio folder and grooves folder)? Or -- is the NAME of your hard drive "samples" and when you open the drive up, you immediately see a folder called BFD3 core library?

ALSO! You said "And in MacHD/users/user name there's an fxpansion folder that has stuff for BFD2 and BFD3." - In my installation, that Fxpansion folder is in the "MacHD/users/user name/documents" folder. Can you confirm that yours is NOT in the documents folder in this similar path?

Thanks again for your help and detailed answer!
Audio files - once one drills down to the actual samples mine have the extension .bfdlac which I believe is the extension for the new compression scheme fxpansion is using; the rock tambourine has the .wav extension. The .bfdca files are the compressed files in the installers. See this thread on the fxpansion site (you need not login) https://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7578008

The hard drive my samples are on is named 'samples' so that when I open that drive I see the BFD3 Core Library folder.

Lastly I made an error of omission in leaving 'documents' out of the chain. So the full chain is: Mac HD/users/username/documents/fxpansion
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I recently deleted all of my BFD, UVI, SampleTank and Miroslav libraries and reinstalled to clean up paths and remove duplicates. Now DP and MachFve know where everything is and my system is about 300G leaner.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro