How many MB are you DP session files?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gabe S.
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How many MB are you DP session files?

Post by Gabe S. »

Hi.

I'm curious about the MegaByte file size of your DP sessions.

My files are in the 40MB range at the very least.

Right now, I have a simple session going that is 87 MB…..!!! The session has one Kontakt, one Omnisphere, 15 stereo audio tracks that are empty, 16 MIDI tracks but only two of them have MIDI, two Waves plugins, and there's no audio files in the session. 87 MB seems like a lot. I have full 400 track templates that are only 40MB….I'm confused.

How big are your files?

Thanks.
-gabe
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How many MB are you DP session files?

Post by FMiguelez »

That seems abnormally large, agreed.

My empty template is around 26 MB. But they shrink in size as I delete stuff from the template as the project progresses, to around 5-10 MBs tops.

Have you flushed the Undo entries? I bet that's where your problem is. Even if you delete whole chunks, you need to flush the undo to see the slimmer size.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman