Avid Artist Mix with DP9.02

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Avid Artist Mix with DP9.02

Post by delcosmos »

Hello guys, this is for those using Avid's Artist Mix control surface with Dp, I finally found the cause of a terrible bug that suddenly appeared on my sessions.

Some times when I reopen a project, some tracks from my session stop working and are displayed wrong on my artist mix, the name of the track dissapears and those tracks reads "Name", also the faders of those specific tracks go to zero.

Its very frustrating because there was no way to fix this, if you duplicate that track or rename it, it works but again, when you close the proyect and reopen, same thing: tracks with fader down and "name" displayed on the artist mix.

Well after many hours of installing different versions of Eucon, trying different versions of DP, tryjng different firmwares, etc, etc. I found that the cause of this bug is: TRACK LIMIT!

Yes, this thing only happens with sessions containing a large amount of tracks!!

My "workaround" now is to delete all the unused tracks from my session when finishing my arrangement.

Hope Motu fix this one day, because this problem is on the Motu Side, I tried the same thing on Protools and theres no problem there.
I hope this info helps sombody in the same situation.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
labman

Re: Avid Artist Mix with DP9.02

Post by labman »

hey DC. We have had the "the name of the track dissapears and those tracks reads "Name" issue since DP9.0

I had let them know about it awhile back. (months) So I was excited to see 9.02 list 'eucon' enhancements or some such wording. But alas... still same problem. I called them today and showed them at length about the issue. Nick is going to research the track limit and see why it is there, and then get back to me. Hope its good news.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

You are right, I've been geting this problem since DP 8.0. Didn't noticed this was caused by track limit.
I already sent a tech note about this too but wanted to share my findings.

Hope they fix this because some composers or even Pop producers like me need large amount of tracks in our session or templates.

Best.

A.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
labman

Post by labman »

Yeah our scoring template in over 400 tracks from multiple rigs. And I aint got time to eliminate all the unused, only to find there is a callback for that score and now my template is missing tons of inst. :)
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
nickk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by nickk »

Hi everybody - I'm currently testing this issue on our end to try and find the cause (and if there's a good workaround). When I have a large number of tracks, I'm getting random tracks with the "name" label, but it seems to be random which tracks are labeled that way. Is this matching what you guys are seeing? Has anybody been able to see a consistent pattern of what tracks are missing the labels?

NK
Nick
MOTU Tech Support
617-576-3066 - Tech Support

My toybox:
i7 4790k, 32GB RAM, 120GB SSD
Mac OS 10.9.5 (hackintosh) and Windows 10.
DP7 - 9; Cubase 8.5; VEP5; NI Komplete 9.
MOTU 1248
labman

Post by labman »

Exactly Nick. No rhyme or reason. No pattern.

and Welcome!!!
nickk

Post by nickk »

labman wrote:Exactly Nick. No rhyme or reason. No pattern.

and Welcome!!!
Thanks! I'm in the "long time lurker, first time posting" category.

Something I've noticed is that with the same project/same tracks, quitting DP and then reopening the project still has the same track names missing as the last time the project was opened. However, If I create an identical project from scratch with the same track count, different tracks will be mislabelled. Is that the case for all of you?

A couple other questions for everybody seeing this issue (and if you're not, that's good to know too):
  1. What OS are you on?
  2. What version of DP? (It seems to be specific to 9.xx because of certain changes that were made to the driver for this version, but correct me if I'm wrong)
  3. Which Eucon device are you using/driver version/firmware version?
Nick
MOTU Tech Support

My toybox:
MOTU 1248
labman

Post by labman »

Nick I can verify that the issue is on OS X 10.8.2 and also OS X 10.10.5, so it aint OS related.

We have our eucon on the current driver/firmware. Just checked.

Yes, if we open up saved older DP file, the same trks show 'name'. Haven't built anything from scratch.
nickk

Post by nickk »

labman wrote:Nick I can verify that the issue is on OS X 10.8.2 and also OS X 10.10.5, so it aint OS related.

We have our eucon on the current driver/firmware. Just checked.

Yes, if we open up saved older DP file, the same trks show 'name'. Haven't built anything from scratch.
Thanks! So far everything that's been described here is consistent with what I'm seeing on my end, so this is all helpful information. I've logged this in our bug tracker to be looked at.

Nick
Nick
MOTU Tech Support

My toybox:
MOTU 1248
buhardilla

Post by buhardilla »

Oh! great news that this problem could be fixed.
I'd like to add my signature and report the same issue here: several tracks randomly labeled as "name" on large templates (in my case 270 tracks). My workaround is to rename again the track and the Avid/Euphonix fader back to life and works/link correctly with DP track. But this trick doesn't guarantee that next time I'll open the project this issue will not happen again
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||
KCman

Post by KCman »

I am thinking about an artist mix. How many tracks, roughly, before this bug happens?

I just need faders(with names and daw follow), pan, solo and mute.
CT

Post by CT »

I`ve had this same problem on large projects for some time (faders down + "name" instead of track name). Always the same faders down when opening the same project, a different project will show different faders down.
I recently purchased VE Pro and now my template is around 300 tracks. :?

FWIW: 244tracks = problem shows, 241 tracks = no problem, .

(DP8.07 / OS 10.10. 5 / EuCon 3.3.2 / MC Control Firmware 1.3.7 / MC Mix Firmware 1.5.4).
2 x 2.8 Quad core Intel Xeon, 10.10.5, 16GB, DP8.07, 828mkII, Ensemble, Waves, Sonnox, iZotope, MachFive3, Kontakt, MC Control, MC Mix, VE Pro5.