Warning...do not install UA 8.5 software

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Warning...do not install UA 8.5 software

Post by David Polich »

Well, this IS related to plugins in DP...but James, if you feel it needs to be moved to the Off-Topic section, then by all means..

Anyway, this is a heads-up based on a call I just got from Waxman regarding UA software version
8.5. Apparently this version changes the way resources are spread across multiple UAD FireWire
devices, and it may (not confirmed) affect PCI UAD cards as well.

The previous versions of UA software distribute plug-in use evenly across multiple UA devices.
So for example if you have more than one UA device, processor-intensive plugins (like the Neve 1073, Manley plugins, and the Thermionic Culture Vulture) access multiple UA devices evenly as
needed. The new 8.5 version software "dumps" processor-intensive plugs onto the first device in your chain, which can and does overwhelm that device pretty quickly, and as a result you get an error message that the plugins are not loaded when you launch your DP project.

This is really bad news, and it is not known whether UA will address it. If you haven't upgraded to
version 8.5, best advice is don't. If you have upgraded to version 8.5, hopefully you have a copy of 8.4.1.1.0, released in October of 2015, that you can revert to, or somehow call UA tech support and get them to send you that version.

Again, I do not know if this affects PCI UAD card users (I have Quad and Octo PCI cards installed in my 2010 Mac Quadcore). Waxman called me and asked if I had upgraded and I said I hadn't. And I'm not about to install the 8.5 software to find out if it screws up my DP projects...8.4.1.1.0 is solid on my system.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Shooshie

Re: Warning...do not install UA 8.5 software

Post by Shooshie »

Why would they do that? Is that just a dumb programming error, or could someone have actually sat down at a meeting and said, "we need to screw our customers."
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

David Polich wrote:Again, I do not know if this affects PCI UAD card users (I have Quad and Octo PCI cards installed in my 2010 Mac Quadcore). Waxman called me and asked if I had upgraded and I said I hadn't. And I'm not about to install the 8.5 software to find out if it screws up my DP projects...8.4.1.1.0 is solid on my system.
I have a UAD2 Duo card. Be interesting to find out. Wouldn't it be possible to revert to an older installer if there's a problem. I tend to keep at least two previous versions of installers for this reason. I noticed they have a Marshall JMP 2203 emulation now. That's my favorite head... I own two of the real deal. Be cool to see if it's any good.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

James Steele wrote:
David Polich wrote:Again, I do not know if this affects PCI UAD card users (I have Quad and Octo PCI cards installed in my 2010 Mac Quadcore). Waxman called me and asked if I had upgraded and I said I hadn't. And I'm not about to install the 8.5 software to find out if it screws up my DP projects...8.4.1.1.0 is solid on my system.
I have a UAD2 Duo card. Be interesting to find out. Wouldn't it be possible to revert to an older installer if there's a problem. I tend to keep at least two previous versions of installers for this reason. I noticed they have a Marshall JMP 2203 emulation now. That's my favorite head... I own two of the real deal. Be cool to see if it's any good.
Yeah, I've been waiting for this release to check out the 2203. The other Marshalls are pretty awesome, especially the Jubilee (btw, he Ampeg bass amps aren't too shabby either). I haven't downloaded and installed 8.5 yet. I'm running with an Apollo twin duo and a quad satellite daisy chained through a thunderbolt hub on a 17" MBP. I'll go ahead and load the 8.5 as well and test on a few of my plugin heavy projects (some are this|close to overloading the UAD system. I've got the previous installer, though I think they have them available on Universal Audio's site if you go to Support->Downloads and then click Archives.

I'll check back in here after I run some tests.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

Not seeing any issues with the UA stuff. Loaded very plugin heavy projects in DP 9.02 with the 8.5 UAD software and all is very well.

Occasionally the UAD memory gets fragmented and the workaround I've been using is to restart the MOTU Audio System (Setup->Configure Audio System->Configure Hardware Driver, and then just click OK) and it causes the UAD plugin memory to be reallocated a little more efficiently. It's a bit of a pain, but only have to do this after heavy plugin projects and btw have had to do this on versions prior to 8.5.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
waxman

Post by waxman »

guitardood wrote:Not seeing any issues with the UA stuff. Loaded very plugin heavy projects in DP 9.02 with the 8.5 UAD software and all is very well.

Occasionally the UAD memory gets fragmented and the workaround I've been using is to restart the MOTU Audio System (Setup->Configure Audio System->Configure Hardware Driver, and then just click OK) and it causes the UAD plugin memory to be reallocated a little more efficiently. It's a bit of a pain, but only have to do this after heavy plugin projects and btw have had to do this on versions prior to 8.5.
check this link for the instance chart...
http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/compa ... chart.html

We may be jumping to quick to condemning 8.5.... I spent a few hours on the phone uad tech support... (Daniel was great service and support.) The quickest work around is to just un-enable the tracks. Then add back the offending plug. In my case I was using a lot of Neve 1073 and Manley MU. Those are considered "chip killers." So even though i had 8 cores and there was room the problem is there is not enough room on any one chip.... So when you disable it will fill in around with lighter load plugs. It may say you have 70% dsp used but when all your cores are over 60% if you add a dsp hog it disables. My solution was to buy a Octo Satellite which will be here Friday. So now I have 12 cores and I think that will be plenty... Hopefully I can dump the quad and get some $$$ back. 8.5 is working fine. I am not sure 8.4 may have done the same thing. So I think it is safe to go to 8.5. According to Daniel it is the same as 8.4
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Check out the instance chart. http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/compa ... chart.html

As you can see the Neve 1073 is a hog at 67% of one sharc. The problems I experienced were when I started using a lot of instances of the 1073 on a song with lots of guitars. Because the Neve 1073 sound SO GOOD on guitars. I have a quad and an Apollo 16 for 8 cores. After 8 instances of Neve 1073 any plug over 40% and the plug will be disabled. Even though technically you have only used 67% of your DSP. Alas I bought a OCTO yesterday.

This is a duh... :banghead: but... Another thing to keep in mind is the Console. If you have been tracking with plugs in console that and you start mixing turn those console plugs off or load an empty console. It's easy for me to forget a channel strip, Marshall, Ampeg SVT, a UAD 610 and Manley MU and maybe a 250 verb are all on from tracking. That is a lot of DSP lost to the mixing process.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.