The new Track Search and Filter are NOT that good...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
musicman691

Re: The new Track Search and Filter are NOT that good...

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:FM, my point was that it is only one more key and click to get all the tracks you are searching for. Instead of typing a string, you have to Option CMD click a track, then enter the string. And one more key press to exclude the empty folders and tracks. Having the entire thing happen with one operation -- the string entry -- would reduce the flexibility for some, e.g. those who bury tracks they don't want to use in a project in specific folders, or those who do want to see the empty tracks.

With different combinations of folder states, search strings, and filters, there's a lot of flexibility in the results.
Is there any documentation on how to do these things? The user manual hasn't been updated and that doesn't give me any confidence if 'help' is any better.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

I haven't looked for any documentation on this item. I just tried it out. It's pretty simple stuff.

The manual embedded in the app package hasn't been updated. I hope updates to the manual, now that it is a PDF, become a routine part of the application updates. Maybe a 9.1 update with all the great new stuff will see a new manual.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:I haven't looked for any documentation on this item. I just tried it out. It's pretty simple stuff.

The manual embedded in the app package hasn't been updated. I hope updates to the manual, now that it is a PDF, become a routine part of the application updates. Maybe a 9.1 update with all the great new stuff will see a new manual.
I should hope so. Kind of disappointing that there isn't at least an addendum to the manual like some other developers do instead of redoing the complete almost 1000 page document. I mean MOTU didn't even bother to fix the mistake of how to not work in the consolidated window. They still mention that it's a single option to set when even back in 8.07 that wasn't the case at least for the latest builds of that version of DP. They really need to hire a decent tech writer and have the will to do the deed.