The new Track Search and Filter are NOT that good...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The new Track Search and Filter are NOT that good...

Post by FMiguelez »

[EDIT]
I had to review my original thread title to reflect my latest findings... Sorry about that and for the bad news...

I would happily have PAID for these features!

Now I don't need to keep opening folders and scrolling to quickly find tracks.
What a time saver!!

Thank you MOTU! You listened to us again :)
Last edited by FMiguelez on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Re: Wow! The new Track Search and Filter are A-MA-ZING!!!

Post by FMiguelez »

So, if I want to get to my pianos in my template, I simply type "pi", and magically they appear instantly.

To see all tracks again, press the Esc key. Wow!

Anyone who uses big templates will LOVE these new features.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'm SOOOOO excited for this. Am still on DP 8.07, but come May at the end of this series I'm going to be updating just for this function. 400+ tracks and my eyes are starting to go weird :lol: GREAT stuff MOTU!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Agreed :)

I haven't decided if I like to see all the empty folder structure besides the relevant searched-for tracks.
So far, I think I might actually like it...

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It's nice to note, however, that we will still be fielding posts from people who can hear their tracks but can't see them to edit them. Cmd-f still calls up the view filter and the usual dismiss box (bottom right) still clears all data and closes the box.

That's not a bug, it's just a very poor choice; or the funniest joke ever played on DP users.

:unicorn: :rofl: :deadhorse:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I think this feature will be a time saver. I've been bitten by the View Filter before, but I've gotten used to it.

So far 9.02 is working great. 8)

And BTW, MLC, the splash screen is working fine here. Sorry to hear you're having problems.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Got it on first launch today, not on 2nd and 3rd.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Got it on first launch today, not on 2nd and 3rd.
Been getting the splash screen on every boot. This may be one of those that's dependent on whatever version of OSX one is running.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It's nice to note, however, that we will still be fielding posts from people who can hear their tracks but can't see them to edit them. Cmd-f still calls up the view filter and the usual dismiss box (bottom right) still clears all data and closes the box.

That's not a bug, it's just a very poor choice; or the funniest joke ever played on DP users.

:unicorn: :rofl: :deadhorse:
:lol: :lol:

It definitely won't be long before that.

Let's see who the first one is, and honor him by giving membership to our very non-exclusive Hear-But-Can't-See club :lol:

I should shut up, because the other day I did lots of time-line edits, forgetting I had a lot of hidden stuff. It was undo-time and repeat, this time with everything showing, just for the "pleasure" of wasting time... :shake:

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ugh... I think I spoke too soon... :(

It didn't take me long to see things I really don't like... It's even non-sensical...

The only way to show the tracks by typing, is if they are all in a previous state of ALL visible with ALL their folders opened!

So if I want to find any track by name, I need to open ALL my folders, which hold 100s of tracks at many levels... THEN I can search and find... This doesn't make sense!

Also, I like having my folders and subfolders set in specific ways, usually with the MIDI tracks for each family open when I open the main orchestral folder. Each time I used a search function, this gets reset, and they show the wrong open/close status every time after this...

There should also be a checkmark showing which of the View options is currently being used. Nothing lets you know about your current settings.

Track Sets are not doing what I though they were supposed to do...

I don't see a mention in the manual for any of these new features.

The way things are now, I find all these features unusable :(

And no, thank you. I do NOT need to see a hundred EMPTY opened folders every time I searched for a violin by typing. Just show me the relevant found tracks, please!!!

GREAT potential, but clearly half-baked.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:So if I want to find any track by name, I need to open ALL my folders, which hold 100s of tracks at many levels... THEN I can search and find... This doesn't make sense!
Is this so bad? If you have 30 tracks with the word piano in them, and they are spread across a lot of folders, you can option click one folder -- they all open -- then type "PI..." and all those tracks will appear.

If you have nested folders, alt-option click one on the high level folders and the subfolders will open as well.

I haven't done a lot of testing, but I think you can avoid the empty tracks by having "notes and soundbites" selected before you enter the start of the track names. (You can assign a key to this) Then you only get piano tracks with data.

So not a lot of clicks or key presses to do this stuff.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:So if I want to find any track by name, I need to open ALL my folders, which hold 100s of tracks at many levels... THEN I can search and find... This doesn't make sense!
Is this so bad? If you have 30 tracks with the word piano in them, and they are spread across a lot of folders, you can option click one folder -- they all open -- then type "PI..." and all those tracks will appear.

If you have nested folders, alt-option click one on the high level folders and the subfolders will open as well.
Yup. I wouldn't attempt to open/close them any other way when I need to manipulate them en mass. But doing this is self-defeating, and it is non-sensical.
Why would I need to have EVERYTHING opened and showing just to be able to search for it? Isn't the point of folders to help you see only what you want? I don't understand this logic.
If I want to find some track, I just want to type a few letters and have the tracks show (without a 100 empty folders also appearing), REGARDLESS of the state of the folders (opened/closed).

If there were an easy way to return to my EXACT desired folder and track configuration, this would be a little more tolerable, but it messes up my desired folder status everytime.

I mean, the seed is there. They have great potential, but they are weirdly and ineffectively implemented.

bayswater

Re: The new Track Search and Filter are NOT that good...

Post by bayswater »

FM, my point was that it is only one more key and click to get all the tracks you are searching for. Instead of typing a string, you have to Option CMD click a track, then enter the string. And one more key press to exclude the empty folders and tracks. Having the entire thing happen with one operation -- the string entry -- would reduce the flexibility for some, e.g. those who bury tracks they don't want to use in a project in specific folders, or those who do want to see the empty tracks.

With different combinations of folder states, search strings, and filters, there's a lot of flexibility in the results.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:FM, my point was that it is only one more key and click to get all the tracks you are searching for. Instead of typing a string, you have to Option CMD click a track, then enter the string. And one more key press to exclude the empty folders and tracks. Having the entire thing happen with one operation -- the string entry -- would reduce the flexibility for some, e.g. those who bury tracks they don't want to use in a project in specific folders, or those who do want to see the empty tracks.

With different combinations of folder states, search strings, and filters, there's a lot of flexibility in the results.
Thanks, Bays.

I will try it again like you suggest, and report back.
I just need to readjust my attitude before. Probably dinner will help.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote: I just need to readjust my attitude before. Probably dinner will help.
Haha... that nearly always helps!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|