Moving DP to new Mac

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
geoffadams
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Moving DP to new Mac

Post by geoffadams »

I am moving all my music production including DP to a new Mac. Do I need to reinstall all plug ins? Or can I merely copy them from the library of the old machine to the library of the new machine.

Many thanks!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Moving DP to new Mac

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Never just copy system stuff. There's a lot of hidden stuff (including authorizations) you'll miss.

If you have a Time Machine backup you can reconstruct the system or select files and apps from there. You can also use Migration Assistant if your system is working well and transfer apps, files. etc., and leave new system OS "clean." You can also just clone the existing drive if you;re staying on the same OS version.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
geoffadams
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by geoffadams »

Thanks for this excellent advice!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you clone the drive, reinstall the Apple OS. Cloning does not install the repair partition, one of the many reasons that Apple never recommends it.

If you are on Yosemite and going to a new Mac, cloning may not work if 10.10 is not supported. If in doubt, use Time Machine or Migration Assistant as Apple recommends. I find M.A. faster.

If you have any plugs with internet authorizations, de-activate them before the move or you may spend time with their support trying to get them back in service (companies are generally good about this but it takes more time).

iLok authorizations are not an issue—download the latest version of their license manager. DP 8/9, likewise, is not an issue as long as you enter your name, email address and auth. code info exactly the way that MOTU has it on file (dashes, not minus signs in the code)
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bralston

Post by bralston »

mikehalloran wrote:If you clone the drive, reinstall the Apple OS. Cloning does not install the repair partition, one of the many reasons that Apple never recommends it.
Carbon Copy Cloner will make/copy over the recovery partition on a clone of the OSX if you tell it to. It recognizes you are making a boot drive clone and gives you the option. ;)
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13