D.P. 9.02 dispo on MOTU Site

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: D.P. 9.02 dispo on MOTU Site

Post by mikehalloran »

Armageddon wrote:Did I mention how much I *@&#! HATE El Crapitan?
Ok, so what? 10.11 is Apple's latest attempt to stay ahead with of the security issues that plague the Internet. Ok, there are apps that don't run on 10.11 without hacking SIP which compromises the security back to Yosemite levels.

It's past time to decide if you still want to connect to the Internet using the same computer that you work with. If El Capitán doesn't work for you, consider taking your machine offline.

Unfortunately, even that isn't always enough.

If you use Transmission for file sharing, you need to stop what you are doing and read this.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/apple-users- ... nance.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
Armageddon wrote:Did I mention how much I *@&#! HATE El Crapitan?
Ok, so what? 10.11 is Apple's latest attempt to stay ahead with of the security issues that plague the Internet. Ok, there are apps that don't run on 10.11 without hacking SIP which compromises the security back to Yosemite levels.
It's all very well that Apple is addressing security issues. But when the solution renders a computer useable, it's not much of a solution. Maybe the current state of OS X is the best that can be reasonably expected. I hope not.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Jesse DeCarlo

Post by Jesse DeCarlo »

I like Mac OS 10.11/El Capitan - working great for me with DP 9.02 over the last couple of months. I had been running OS 10.8.5 for a couple of years and was really happy with the stability, but there were a couple of things I wanted to install that required a newer OS. First I went to 10.10/Yosemite, and even with a clean install it gave the impression of being pretty sluggish and bloated. 10.11 was supposed to be snappier, and I have indeed found that to be the case.

Also, I am very grateful that my absolutely ancient versions of Final Cut Pro (7) and Adobe suite (CS3) still work just fine on El Capitan.

So, thumbs up... for now.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:
Shooshie wrote: Mail is so slow that just typing one character can take 20 seconds. Close the browser and it's normal speed. I just can't do anything with Mail's browser open.
Have you tried rebuilding your mailboxes?
(In Yosemite)
Yeah, I did that, but it didn't change anything. There are other issues with Mail, but I don't want to try to remember how they work. I don't know what else to do. There are some things that appear in the Console now and then, which seem to take up infinite CPU time. I can get rid of those for one session, and sometimes they remain gone when I reboot, but they always come back. Again, can't remember enough to comment without going digging again.

There are various issues with QuickLook in the Finder, and also with hard drives booting when clicking on certain files that have to open their apps first. If I get the hard drive started first, they will work, but sometimes not vice-versa. The app will hang, waiting for the file to open. I can make it open by going back to the Finder and starting the hard drive myself. Then it finishes opening and everything is fine.

There are other things; I have to restart a lot. I just can't list them all here and now. Would have to take notes for about two weeks to catch them all.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

But when the solution renders a computer useable, it's not much of a solution.
Again. So what?

Either you have to go forward with tools that work or accept that another way must be found. If everything works perfectly in (old OS), great but, if not, a solution needs to be found. For some, it will be to remove work computers from the internet.

Apple engineers I know all say that 10.11 is the best OS that has been released in a very long time. The last time I heard that kind of talk, it was around 10.4. 10.5 was an evolutionary step as was 10.6. 10.7 broke more than it fixed. 10.8.2 finally fixed many things broken in 10.5–7 and made the break from 32bit. 10.9 was evolutionary; 10.10 fixed much of what was wrong with 10.8–9 and introduced sandboxing to prevent known harmful apps as was promised back to 10.7. El Capitan has much in common with 10.4 and 10.8: change is here and things are not going backwards—compliance with the Apple Toolkit is a must (unless you mean to hack SIP which leaves your Mac vulnerable to certain kinds of attack)..

OS 10.12 will be another evolutionary release with more emphasis on security. At some point, you can expect 32bit support to be gone {first promised in 10.9)—many apps will be left in the dust when that happens but, like the sandbox and rigid compliance with the Apple Toolkit, it has been promised for years, now. When will users no longer be able to bypass SIP? Not yet but expect it.

I keep a G4 working for legacy applications that won't work anywhere else. Do I like it? No, not at all. Is it connected to the internet? Silly question—even if it were, browsers compatible with OS 9 and 10.4 are pretty much useless. Even that won't run OS 7 or 8 but I had to draw a line somewhere.

I hated having to buy a 6200 when MacInTax no longer ran on my Mac+. I disliked it when DMCS no longer ran and my files couldn't be opened by anything. What in the hell was Apple thinking when nothing could open my AppleWorks files? Why does Pages exist and why did they dumb it down with Mavericks and iOS 7? Will iCloud ever work as advertised? Why kill Aperture? Then there's what happened to Final Cut 7...

The Apple Mail client is still buggy but I have it working ok but not well.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'm glad to hear the Apple engineers are patting themselves on the back on a great job. It's too bad they can't tear themselves away from popping the champagne corks long enough to address some of the problems people have reported in a more direct and transparent way.

The "so what" is exactly as you present it. You either put up with it, or find an alternative. Those were the options people who switched from Windows had.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I've been very happy with Mavericks. I'm not gonna change. Lion and ML, not so much. Mavericks is nice and stable. Yosemite I heard too many bad things..but the main one and only thing that stops me is the change of the system font which supposedly only looks good on Retina displays. There is really no feature in Yosemite or EC that I need or want. The only annoyance whatsoever is that sometimes there is some oddball little app that I can't run because it requires some 10.10 or 10.11 framework. So be it, there are lots of other little odd ball apps that get the job done on Mavericks just fine.

Maybe for you its Yosemite that is stable or Snow Leopard..and I was on SL for a very long time before I finally switched to Mavericks, skipping all the lions. whatever.. when you have a version that is getting your work done and no problems...then do not upgrade unless you really have to.

Apple has shown time and time again to bring headaches to those wishing to have system stability and reliability through their OSX upgrades. They have been doing that for more than 20 years. They outdate their hardware, they outdate their OS within just a few years time, its ridiculous. Lots of people have these kinds of problems because they are chasing after the latest little OS feature or eye candy and want to have the latest shiny thing running on their computer..and if that is important to you, then by all means go for it, but if getting your work done is more important to you and your system is working fine....then DO NOT UPGRADE. wait until it becomes absolutely necessary, forced to do so by Apple...which they will do within a few years, don't get me wrong..but there is no reason to upgrade every single year they come out with the next pile of problems.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I suppose I've been lucky over the years. The bugs that could be traced to an OS have always been simple and not at all deal breaking. El Capitan for me anyway has a few obvious ones, but nothing that's workflow killing. The Raven software for the touch monitor is the only exception, but they flatly state they're not 100% El Capitan ready yet.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm liking El Cap on my NON-studio computers... just upgraded them last weekend. Ran into a few issues on the laptop, so did a clean install then migrated docs and apps, and now all is well. Enjoying the Apple ecosystem with the computers, iPhones and iPad all talking nicely to each other.

That stated, my studio Mac will be sitting at Mountain Lion for at least a while longer. It is simply working too well to screw around with. Running DP 8.07, it is rock solid and I am loath to engage in a round or two (or five) of compatibility updates and bug chasing at this busy time.
RodneySauer

Post by RodneySauer »

I'm doing fine with El Cap and 9.02. No problems there. My only issue is an Epson scanner that no longer scans when you push the button on the scanner, and I'm having trouble getting through to anyone on that.
Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
dix

Post by dix »

The What's New pdf says:
Select All — The Select All command now only applies to the tracks visible (including
closed folders) in a given window rather than all tracks in the sequence.
but I don't find this to be the case. Select All selects every track in the project regardless of whether they're showing or not. Are others experiencing this too?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

dix wrote:The What's New pdf says:
Select All — The Select All command now only applies to the tracks visible (including
closed folders) in a given window rather than all tracks in the sequence.
but I don't find this to be the case. Select All selects every track in the project regardless of whether they're showing or not. Are others experiencing this too?
Maybe the pdf was written with 9.1 in mind. And if so, maybe that indicates its proximity to release.

Just a wild guess.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not the case here. If I'm in the SE and only showing random tracks and "select all," only the tracks in the SE are selected in the TO window display. Consolidated windows active at all times.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

Ah. I see what I'm doing wrong. The tracks need to be hidden/deselected in the Selector in order to be left out of the Select-All. I took pdf to mean that only the visible tracks would be selected regardless of their Selector state. Just closing folder (with selected tracks) isn't enough.

Thanks for the clarification. ...I can work with it this way np.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Wait! Where are you going? I was going to make espresso! :rofl:

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS