D.P. 9.02 dispo on MOTU Site

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: D.P. 9.02 dispo on MOTU Site

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:
And with DP it more important because there's almost no third party help available. Groove 3 has two videos for DP8 and one for DP9 that's basically a video 'what's new' and not a description of hot to use the new stuff in DP9.
There is a little more than than, although not a lot. Macprovideo, Tutorialdepot and Askvideo cover DP 8, and there are the books Magic Dave did from Hal Leonard.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
And with DP it more important because there's almost no third party help available. Groove 3 has two videos for DP8 and one for DP9 that's basically a video 'what's new' and not a description of hot to use the new stuff in DP9.
There is a little more than than, although not a lot. Macprovideo, Tutorialdepot and Askvideo cover DP 8, and there are the books Magic Dave did from Hal Leonard.
That's all well and good but that's old material. What is really needed is updated material for DP9. There's so much that's new or different in DP9 the old material only helps a smidgen to get the barest of bones usage out of DP. What's needed is a DP9 version of the Power series of books.

What can really make a pdf version of the manual a great resource is the ability to hyperlink to other pages in the manual or maybe even to web material. But heck MOTU can't even properly link what's in the existing manual from the index at the back for instance. If I could work it from home I'd re-do the manual for MOTU; I have no urge to move to Taxachusetts :shake:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

That's all well and good but that's old material. What is really needed is updated material for DP9. There's so much that's new or different in DP9 the old material only helps a smidgen to get the barest of bones usage out of DP. What's needed is a DP9 version of the Power series of books
While I agree, I don't see that happening till after or in conjunction with the release promised next Q.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

musicman691 wrote:
bayswater wrote:
musicman691 wrote:
What's needed is a DP9 version of the Power series of books.

What can really make a pdf version of the manual a great resource is the ability to hyperlink to other pages in the manual or maybe even to web material. But heck MOTU can't even properly link what's in the existing manual from the index at the back for instance. If I could work it from home I'd re-do the manual for MOTU; I have no urge to move to Taxachusetts :shake:
For many a written manual is great and I do refer to it when stuck. However video is better for many right brainers who tend to learn audibly and visually. The thing is the types of learners that can crank out a manual are strong at learning through research and comprehension in reading. I can sit through a lecture and pass classes. Throw me the text book and I want to take a nap...

Any chance of doing POWER SERIES? I have used Mac Video and other sites and they have helped so much. The dp9 videos put out by MOTU have helped. I can put those on and get so much out of them even when not in front of dp... So Musicman691 if you have some teaching skills I would love to see you, Mike and the other power guys crank out some vids...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

waxman wrote:
For many a written manual is great and I do refer to it when stuck. However video is better for many right brainers who tend to learn audibly and visually. The thing is the types of learners that can crank out a manual are strong at learning through research and comprehension in reading. I can sit through a lecture and pass classes. Throw me the text book and I want to take a nap...

Any chance of doing POWER SERIES? I have used Mac Video and other sites and they have helped so much. The dp9 videos put out by MOTU have helped. I can put those on and get so much out of them even when not in front of dp... So Musicman691 if you have some teaching skills I would love to see you, Mike and the other power guys crank out some vids...
I must be an odd duck as I can learn both ways - video or book. Yet there are some things that even though I have excellent reading comprehension that a video would really help. Some of it may well be due to how something is written as there are some writers that just can't bring the visual across in their prose and some that can (think Jack London). When the prior happens that's when I need a video; the other is when there are a series of steps that a video would serve better. This latter is like with the current state of DP documentation you have to go through several pages in different sections of the manual to get the full answer.

A way to do this would be a hybrid manual that would not only have hyperlinks to the rest of the material to do whatever it is you want to do but also have a video showing the process. I have some documentation (manuals and handbooks) from my ham radio hobby that does just that (and has embedded audio for things like Morse code). Another way is to harness ai so one could ask a question, have the program churn out the answer and present it on screen. Sort of like Help but on steroids. And have a video to show the process if so needed.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

DP 9.0.2 running smoothly here on 10.11, then on 10.7.5 when I had to ditch 10.11, wipe my drive and start over from Lion, and hopefully, on Yosemite after I get everything up and running again and then re-update. I get to inadvertently test it out on three different operating systems! Did I mention how much I *@&#! HATE El Crapitan?

Sadly, I never really got to put DP 8 through the paces, though the one mix I did get to work on with it went as well as expected. This will also be my first jaunt into 64 bit territory.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Armageddon wrote:DP 9.0.2 running smoothly here on 10.11, then on 10.7.5 when I had to ditch 10.11, wipe my drive and start over from Lion, and hopefully, on Yosemite after I get everything up and running again and then re-update. I get to inadvertently test it out on three different operating systems! Did I mention how much I *@&#! HATE El Crapitan?

Sadly, I never really got to put DP 8 through the paces, though the one mix I did get to work on with it went as well as expected. This will also be my first jaunt into 64 bit territory.
If DP 9 was running smoothly, why did you go back to Yosemite? Was there something else that wasn't working well?

I'm still debating whether to install El Capitan, thus my questions.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Unless there is some specific feature you need out of new OS, I say don't do it. I'm still on Mavericks and loving it. I have no intention of upgrading the OS any time soon. Yea, a few apple apps don't work on it...I can't get the latest iMove, I can't get the latest Xcode. But everything that matters to me runs perfectly fine on Mavericks and I have no problems...and the screen font isn't jacked up to require a retina display.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

dewdman42 wrote:Unless there is some specific feature you need out of new OS, I say don't do it. I'm still on Mavericks and loving it. I have no intention of upgrading the OS any time soon. Yea, a few apple apps don't work on it...I can't get the latest iMove, I can't get the latest Xcode. But everything that matters to me runs perfectly fine on Mavericks and I have no problems...and the screen font isn't jacked up to require a retina display.

Yosemite is gradually falling apart. Mail is so slow that just typing one character can take 20 seconds. Close the browser and it's normal speed. I just can't do anything with Mail's browser open.

And there are lots of other little niddly things that add up to a bad day. I was hoping El Cap would fix those things. Easier going forward than backward.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Ya I hear ya. I dodged a bullet by not upgrading to Yosemite.

The problems you're having sound more serious then just yosemite though...something else going on there.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Yosemite is gradually falling apart. Mail is so slow that just typing one character can take 20 seconds. Close the browser and it's normal speed. I just can't do anything with Mail's browser open.
It seems rather unlikely that this is a Yosemite issue. No such problem here.

I think the real issue is the erratic and inconsistent experience so many are having with various versions of OS X, even when they are using more or less the same hardware and running the same general set of applications. El Cap was a disaster for me. Mavericks worked but was a dog. Yosemite is rock solid.

It looks like Snow Leopard was the last version of OS X we all generally agree worked properly. I've had enough of the chaos associated with OS updates, and will just stay with what I have now. At some point, things like DP will stop working, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Henry Robinett

D.P. 9.02 dispo on MOTU Site

Post by Henry Robinett »

I'm sticking with Yosemite until I find a compelling reason to move forward, which I'm not convinced us forward at all.

All the best,
http://www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Shooshie wrote: Mail is so slow that just typing one character can take 20 seconds. Close the browser and it's normal speed. I just can't do anything with Mail's browser open.
Have you tried rebuilding your mailboxes?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:
dewdman42 wrote:Unless there is some specific feature you need out of new OS, I say don't do it. I'm still on Mavericks and loving it. I have no intention of upgrading the OS any time soon. Yea, a few apple apps don't work on it...I can't get the latest iMove, I can't get the latest Xcode. But everything that matters to me runs perfectly fine on Mavericks and I have no problems...and the screen font isn't jacked up to require a retina display.

Yosemite is gradually falling apart. Mail is so slow that just typing one character can take 20 seconds. Close the browser and it's normal speed. I just can't do anything with Mail's browser open.

And there are lots of other little niddly things that add up to a bad day. I was hoping El Cap would fix those things. Easier going forward than backward.

Shooshie
As evidenced by my sig file I have two boot partitions - one ML and the other Mavericks. I actually had a third for Yosemite but it was so unstable it wasn't worth keeping around. I'm finding I do 95% of my work in Mavericks so that's my default boot partition. DP 9.02 has been stable for me (minus a pilot error or two) on OSX 10.9.5

Besides the stability issues with Yosemite I found I truly didn't like the overall look of the gui and it made my eyes hurt after a few minutes. Made me yearn for the old System 6 days where I could hack in and change the gui as I saw fit.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I'm sticking with OS X 10.8.5 for as long as I can. Very stable right now for me.

However, some other apps (one in particular...iBank) has updated itself to now want to properly work on at least 10.9.

I may have to either add a second non-music computer or designate another boot up drive for just this one app.

Progress?

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)