Can I choose dither option when converting from 24bit?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I choose dither option when converting from 24bit?

Post by Henry Robinett »

I've already mastered a CD 24/96k. I then import into Quattro and dither to 44/16. Radio promoter wants an edit. I'd rather not import into DSP Quattro. Long story. It seems it'd be great to just convert the BW track to 44/16 and have it dithered. No huge deal but how do I do this and not BTD?

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Killahurts

Re: Can I choose dither option when converting from 24bit?

Post by Killahurts »

Hey Henry, I don't think there is a way to apply dither in DP without putting it into a track and BTD. The dither option in the Audio menu (checked or unchecked) only applies dither to any DSP that DP is performing on soundbites, such as fades.

I believe DP has a dither plugin, right? Maybe it's in the "Trim" plugin.. I use the dither in Ozone for this purpose, so I can't recall.

When I do it, I make sure the dither is the only processing occurring, i.e. no other plugins, and the fader set to unity. Select the 24 bit soundbite, BTD the 16 bit file.

Be careful when doing this with already mastered material. If the levels are super hot to 0dB already, the added dither, even though it's tiny, might be enough to go over FS and introduce distortion.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Henry Robinett

Re: Can I choose dither option when converting from 24bit?

Post by Henry Robinett »

Thanks killa! That's what I thought. I'm just going no dither for now until we can agree on which edit to go with. Then I'll worry about it, or not. I think it's fine without. Hiding.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..