open two DP projects at same time

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Terry50
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

open two DP projects at same time

Post by Terry50 »

HI,
I want to have two DP 9 projects open at the same time.
I will have a couple of hundred measures of MIDI notes (like a template) in one project; and I will have the song I'm working on in another project.

This way I can move along in time with the song and the template will be stationary. So I won't have to keep jumping in time back and forth.

Do I have to buy another DP program?

Thank you, :D
Terry
Michael Canavan

Re: open two DP projects at same time

Post by Michael Canavan »

Terry50 wrote:HI,
I want to have two DP 9 projects open at the same time.
I will have a couple of hundred measures of MIDI notes (like a template) in one project; and I will have the song I'm working on in another project.

This way I can move along in time with the song and the template will be stationary. So I won't have to keep jumping in time back and forth.

Do I have to buy another DP program?

Thank you, :D
Terry
You could do this with Chunks. If I'm understanding you correctly , you're wanting to be able to use some MIDI "templates" like fills and such as a resource in one sequence into another sequence. The way this can work is set up a MIDI template as a Chunk, then go to another chunk for writing into.
From what I know, you will want the Tracks Overview as the sequence you're composing in, (if you want to work in that window) and the template Chunk in the Sequence window, DP doesn't like more than one Tacks window, but if you're OK with working in the Sequence windows, it's OK with more than one Sequence window open.

You can copy and Paste from one Sequence Chunk to another, or to the Tracks Overview. You can also set up a DP project with Templates in Chunks and import those Chunks into the current DP project you're working on. Oh, and the Sequence Chunk that isn't the one for the current Control Panel or Tracks Overview does not scroll, as it's timeline is not active. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I haven't tried this in a long time but if you just copy the app you can run two instances or run two different versions simultaneously. But using chunks is really the way to do what you're asking.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Load the sequences or chunks you want into the main project - then you can play around with the template chunk in the sequences window or track overview. Even copy the data you want into a track in the the main chunks.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Terry50

Post by Terry50 »

Thanks everybody !!! :dance:

Terry