Expectations

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bigswole31
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Expectations

Post by bigswole31 »

Hey guys,

It's been a LOOONG while since I've posted.

I'm working on a mix project in DP7. I've been in PT/Steinberg land for a bit, but I wanted to dust off an old tune I had in DP. 8-Core 2.8GHz MacPro 3,1 with 10GB of RAM and 4 2TB 7200 RPM drives. MacOS 10.8.5. UAD-2 Quad card. RME Fireface 800. Buffers set at 1024. Running in 32-bit (I haven't sprung for 64-bit updates of all of my plugs)

Project has a mixture of mono and stereo audio tracks (about 40 channels total), several aux busses (submixes), and no VI's.

So far, I have Trim plugs on all of my audio tracks for gain staging, mixbuss processing (Slate VCC, Slate virtual tape, UAD Pultec, UAD LA-2A, Waves S1, Slate Revival), a couple of transient modulators on kick and snare drums, a bass amp from Guitar Rig, and Sonarworks Headphone calibration plug-in DEMO. Quicktime loaded up.

I'm not getting any processor spikes, but my screens are VEEEERY sluggish. The plug-ins aren't animating...when I close a plug-in part of the image lingers on screen. I haven't seen this type of thing since I used to run 25-track DP 3 projects on a beige G3. I haven't even begun to add in reverbs, compression and delays (though most of them will run from my UAD card), so this has me nervous.

Am I expecting too much or is something wrong with my DP settings?? Was there a major performance boost in newer versions of DP? Is it the Quicktime video? I have run much bigger projects in Cubase on this same computer, with more plugs, and didn't get anything approaching this level of sluggishness.

Thanks for any advice!
8-Core 2.8 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, OS 10.8.5, DP 7.24, Full suite of Spectrasonics, Arturia, Native Instruments, Waves, Toontrack, and EastWest software, Hart Dynamics e-drum kit with a TD-20 module and various hardware synths, modules, and controllers.
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Expectations

Post by MikeInBoston »

Hi,

Are you recording, or just mixing. If you're just mixing, have you tried increasing the audio buffer in DP to a larger amount? This will increase latency, but it will be easier on your CPU.

Mike
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are many things you can do to restore system performance. Let's start with the ones that don't require opening your pocketbook.

Repair Permissions. Yes, really.

Check Console as you start DP. If it is looking for any plugs — even if is nothing that you use, uninstall and reinstall DP 7.24 then Repair Permissions again.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... ll#p520565

There are plugins that can cause the problem if their GUI is open. I don't see RX2 in your list but that GUI can freeze your screen unless it's the only plug open. Going to 64bit and updates made a huge difference with some. Close any that are open and see if that helps.

If mixing, increase your buffer.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

mikehalloran wrote: Going to 64bit and updates made a huge difference with some.

I'm one of those guys, and I advise it. You'll operate more in RAM, and that can only help with sluggish screens.

Check that your music hard rives have 20% or better space left. Check your system drive thoroughly with Disk Utility and as Mike said, repair permissions (really).
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bigswole31

Post by bigswole31 »

Problem resolved!

This is strictly a mixdown. I tracked it with buffers at 256, but I mix at 1024.

I repaired permissions, and also decided not to have the Quicktime movie loaded up. I also noticed that the Slate VMR kept trying to load some of its plugs that I do not use. I closed the VMR and used the VCC plugins directly.

Thanks a million!

I
8-Core 2.8 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, OS 10.8.5, DP 7.24, Full suite of Spectrasonics, Arturia, Native Instruments, Waves, Toontrack, and EastWest software, Hart Dynamics e-drum kit with a TD-20 module and various hardware synths, modules, and controllers.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Yes, video can create big trouble.