Next Gen Pre-Gen for DP9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
AudioSoundzz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Next Gen Pre-Gen for DP9

Post by AudioSoundzz »

Hi - I was excited to see at the Naam 2016 show the concept of the Next Gen Pre-Gen and how much more efficient heavy plug-in and track use will be. Can you let us know the expected time the new feature with be implemented? :dance:
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Next Gen Pre-Gen for DP9

Post by Shooshie »

Actually, this is a privately owned forum, not affiliated with MOTU except in subject matter. Your best bet would be to watch the MOTU homepage.

http://www.motu.com

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Welcome!
Can you let us know the expected time the new feature with be implemented?
Being user support group, we haven't a clue.

Looking into the crystal ball and taking my cues from the video, 9.02, out in a few weeks, will likely have some tweaks and the SMPTE plugin but the rest of it will be later . . . whenever that turns out to be.

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

So been researching NextGen PreGen a little more. First of all, the "NextGen" word is relevant. MOTU first came out with pre-rendering about 8 years ago in DP6. It has been a built in feature of DP ever since. Something I had not really paid much attention to. Supposedly it currently works anytime you close a plugin window and the track is not record enabled.

What MOTU is saying is that they have enhanced it in some way to be "NextGen" version of that.

Ok, but now that I understand this, its not very clear what the change will be or what the performance improvement will actually be. They say NextGen PreGen can play 10x as many instrument tracks as real time, but it doesn't say how much of an improvement is to be found between FirstGen and NextGen....as even the FirstGen has obviously been eeking out some performance already for 8 years and counting.

Sounds like they feel its better anyway, so will look forward to whatever improvement is coming.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dewdman42 wrote: Supposedly it currently works anytime you close a plugin window and the track is not record enabled.
unless you tell the plugin to run in "real time", or have pre-gen turned off in Plugin preferences.
dewdman42 wrote:but it doesn't say how much of an improvement is to be found between FirstGen and NextGen
I'm expecting great things. 10X is pretty significant. The difference between the current pre-gen and no pre-gen is noticeable, but not dramatic. Going from the current level of improvement to 10X is a big deal.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

i did a test this evening and I couldn't get any noticeable cpu usage difference between real time and pregen using 7 tracks of omnisphere2. I made sure plugin window closed, no record enabled tracks, preferences set to pregen and the mini menu for each plugin doesn't say real time. But CPU registered exactly the same either way with 7 instances of omni2 playing back some MIDI tracks.

I believe you if you say it seems to help in some cases. I hope the Next Gen version is considerably better. 10x is definitely significant in terms of the number of tracks, but doesn't necessarily equate to 1/10th the cpu usage if you know what I mean.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dewdman42 wrote:I believe you if you say it seems to help in some cases. I hope the Next Gen version is considerably better. 10x is definitely significant in terms of the number of tracks, but doesn't necessarily equate to 1/10th the cpu usage if you know what I mean.
Yes, I know what you mean. For one thing, the raw signal generation is not all the CPU is using, so at best we'll never cut CPU use to 10%. And Pre-Gen doesn't always seem to help. But sometimes I turn it off because of some anomaly, like the timing in a bounce going wrong, and then I notice its absence.

I'll probably do some tests soon and then again when the next update comes.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8