Advice re using a breath controller

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
daerp1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Advice re using a breath controller

Post by daerp1 »

I have a question concerning using a breath controller to add continuous data to an existing MIDI track. When you record (overdub) using the breath controller, does DP know how to respond to air flow plus attack and maybe even pitch bend? I don't have a controller yet, but I'm looking into getting one. Do you have to tell DP that you are sending on CC2? These may be questions that are answered in the manual somewhere, but I haven't been able to figure this out.
Digital Performer 10, iMac using OSX 10.14.5
stubbsonic

Re: Advice re using a breath controller

Post by stubbsonic »

You can overdub your BC into a MIDI track in DP. It will show up in the controller portion of the MIDI graphic editor.

You could reassign that CC to a different number in DP after it is recorded. Or, depending on how it is connected and what kind of BC it is, you might be able to assign that CC number directly to the BC itself, so it always transmits the CC number you want.

Probably the receiving synth will need to be set up to interpret the BC data. If it is a Virtual Instrument (VI) you might be able to set it up to receive expression data, or CC7 (volume) or whatever the BC is sending, then assign it to various parameters in the VI like amplitude, filter cutoff, drive, or some combination of parameters.

It is the same if you are sending the MIDI track to an external hardware instrument.

I really enjoy my BC. What kind are you getting?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If recording controller data post-recording of the MIDI note track, I'd consider recording to a separate track set to output to the same MIDI channel. That way you don't have to worry about messing up your original. You can merge once you have things sounding perfect.

BC is awesome, especially with Wallander and other instruments set up to really make use of it. I usually record such instruments using BC with Aftertouch routed to vibrato depth as I perform the part. You can use the MIDI translator MIDI plug in in DP to convert BC to controller 11 for synth not set up for BC.

Explore lag processing on the controller data stream with strings. I keep meaning to do so, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

DP doesn't care what you send it or what it records or plays back. The adjustments you're wondering about are 100% inside the instrument libraries that PLAY the sounds which you want to control with BC.

For example, if I'm using sounds in VSL, Wallander Instruments, Garritan Personal Orchestra, and Kontakt (which may host dozens of VIs by other companies), I must know how each one of those VIs is set up to respond to MIDI. Most respond to Velocity by default. Velocity-based MIDI and Breath Controlled MIDI are like oil and water. They don't mix well unless the VI facilitates a Velocity cross-fade so that velocity is always changing with the breath as well as volume. That's one of the controls you need to look for when setting up a sound or VI library for breath control. Usually it's called Velocity Crossfade, though it may be marked as Velocity X-Fade.

You also need to decide on whether to use Expression Control (CC #11) or Breath Control (CC#2). Most breath controllers will send either of those, or Volume (CC#7). Let me explain the advantages of each:

Breath Control — MIDI Controller #2 — is an expressive substitute for Velocity and velocity envelopes (ASDR envelopes: Attack, Sustain, Decay, and Release) Instead of programming each of those parts of the envelope to simulate expression while holding a MIDI note, you instead play the expression in real time. The sound only has to be programmed to reject ASDR and follow BC. That was not easy to do on hardware synthesizers, but most VIs allow for a fairly easy switch to BC somewhere in their interfaces. The drawback for BC is that some instruments do not have it as an option. That's getting more and more rare, but you still encounter instruments that only want to play with Velocity, Volume or Expression.

Expression — MIDI Controller #11 — is essentially the same as Breath Control, unless an instrument specifies that it uses it differently. (I haven't encountered that in over 10 years, so you probably won't, either.) There's nothing special about BC or Expression. They're just numbers in a hexadecimal address. One is 2, the other is 11. But if your breath controller only produces 2, and 11 is not an option, then you must be sure that your instruments accept BC. Expression is the most universally used continuously expressive controller, so don't feel like you're using a 2nd-rate controller if you're required to use Expression instead of Breath Control. Either works just fine as long as all parts of the puzzle allow it.

Volume — MIDI Controller #7 — Many breath control devices allow you to set it for MIDI Volume. At first glance, this appears to be an equal option to the others, but it's not. Breath Control and Expression work within the sound, utilizing velocity layers and sometimes other effects so that a loud sound is really like what happens when someone plays an instrument loud. You hear different proportions of overtones, conveying differing amounts of stress, strain, or relaxation and calm. Velocity works on the level of the host, and is essentially the same as playing with the volume knob. The overtones don't change, and the dynamics are not convincing. Furthermore, in most DAWs, Volume literally is the automation control for the faders or volume knobs. Don't use Volume as an expressive controller!

That's basic information about breath control. Once you get a controller, come back here and we can point you to past threads and posts about using a MIDI Wind Instrument or Breath Controller with DP and VI libraries.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|