In Praise of MOTU's De-Esser

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

In Praise of MOTU's De-Esser

Post by Killahurts »

Just finished mixing a vocal record.. de-essers are usually problematic for me, because they always seem best when used post whatever processing is on the vocal. Well, that means that the de-esser better be a transparent one, because you don't want to have to compromise the sound after you fought hard to EQ, compress, and whatever.

I have a few tools available for curing sibilance disorders, but my new favorite is MOTU's own De-Esser. You know a tool is powerful when you first turn it on and it's way, way too much. I love that. I can turn someone into a Castilian with the push of a button! :lol: Seriously, the parameter set is truly complete, and when it it is set up correctly, it is transparent to my ears. Any of you guys used it?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
dpdan

Re: In Praise of MOTU's De-Esser

Post by dpdan »

ironically, I have never even tried this plugin,
ever since I parted with my analog DBX 902 de-essers, I have never been happy with any other de-esser, but you have piqued my interest with your post and I will give it a try,
thanks!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's actually very advanced, and quite transparent.

I mostly use de-essers to de-harsh cymbals and hi-hats, to de-harsh poorly recorded electric guitars (usually from sessions I wasn't in control of), and occasionally (though artifacts are hard to avoid) for DI bass tracks to improve their low end response. For those purposes I usually use Sonnox, as Fabrice Gabriel never ported Eiosis plug-ins (other than Air EQ) to 64-bits.

The MOTU De-esser, however, did pretty well on stringed instruments last week -- better than a lot of de-essers I've bought that weren't exactly free. Sony is the main one that has earned its keep; the others are mostly disappointments, but MOTU's surprised me when I brought it up in a session the other day as I had forgotten it's either rather newish or a redesign of an older MOTU plug. It's of a similar quality to the Dynamic EQ plug-in.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Yep, and as I've said other places, if it's not a vocal usage, compare against the dynamic EQ plug, usually one or the other will be the obvious winner.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

EMRR wrote:Yep, and as I've said other places, if it's not a vocal usage, compare against the dynamic EQ plug, usually one or the other will be the obvious winner.
Dynamic EQ is another great plugin!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

FYI Eiosis has announced a re-release of their de-esser at NAMM today.

I haven't the time to look at it in depth, but the GUI looks entirely different from the old 32-bit version.

I do hope it works as well and has similar functionality and algorithms, as I have yet to find a de-esser that does as good a job as that one does on certain tasks (such as de-harshing hi-hats). Now that I use ribbon mics on cymbals, it's less of an issue though.

It wouldn't surprise me if the new GUI was inspired by MOTU's de-esser, based on a quick casual look.

I suspect the MOTU de-esser will still find itself being used, even alongside Eiosis, as MOTU really took a unique approach to theirs.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I suspect the MOTU de-esser will still find itself being used, even alongside Eiosis, as MOTU really took a unique approach to theirs
Reading this thread, I'm looking forward to playing with it this weekend. There's this old project…
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

MOTU de-esser is one of best around. Also even you use it on the vocal track itself add another instance on an aux track before a verb, can help a verb sound smoother...
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a cool tip. THANKS!

Putting a de-esser with some look-ahead on a reverb input could allow some more "open" settings on the reverb's spectrum.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com