How to move multiple tracks?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to move multiple tracks?

Post by waxman »

I want to Vulcan mind meld Shooshie's brain that stores the tips and tricks...

waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

waxman wrote:I want to Vulcan mind meld Shooshie's brain that stores the tips and tricks...
I think Babs is doing just that… love the new avatar!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

amplidood wrote:An ugly workaround I do all the time is creating a new temporary track folder with the selected tracks, moving them, then get rid of the folder. Ugly, right?
Yeah! I do that all the time ;)
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

doodles wrote:OK, unfortunately the move to the bottom and then back up trick won't work. As it only moves tracks to the bottom of the track folder they're in, rather than to the bottom of the whole sequence.

Any more ideas?
Are you sure about that? I can't try it at the moment, but I could have sworn you can move it OUT of the folder by continuing to go down a notch, then move all together down to the bottom. That didn't come out very clearly, but did you play around with it? Maybe what I remember is WISHING that it did that! Big difference between those two types of memory. I think I should have a memory upgrade.

And to Babz, I love the new avatar! If you're trying to Vulcan mind-meld with me (as per HCMarkus above), I think it's working. "Oh, the pain! The Pain! Wait... the beauty... " [bad quote of Spock mind-melding with those little shag carpet-like creatures that lay eggs like solid iron bowling balls.]

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

To echo dpdan .....Just want to throw in my total encouragement to check out the Commands...if I was more diligent I'd follow my own advice more... errr.... diligently

But every now and then I go through the Commands a bit and write down the ones that will be meaningful for me to have straight to hand..... keep the page of notes or file at the ready... and you know, bit by bit, you just start to rip through tasks that previously required more effort.... and become very adept

Shooshie's tips here using CNTRL plus either page up/down or home/end just happen to be some I have been using for ages ... except the non-contiguous one

You just can't imagine what's possible to do in DP until you go through the Commands

Salute to DP...sincerely

In other DAWS I've been forced to use you're either locked in to their way ...or, surprisingly, there really aren't a whole lot of extra tricks/shortcuts available anyway....nothing much more than what's in the regular menus

Make DP your own....no matter how you've arrived here

Cheers to all
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Maxxy wrote:You just can't imagine what's possible to do in DP until you go through the Commands

Salute to DP...sincerely

In other DAWS I've been forced to use you're either locked in to their way ...or, surprisingly, there really aren't a whole lot of extra tricks/shortcuts available anyway....nothing much more than what's in the regular menus

Make DP your own....no matter how you've arrived here

Cheers to all
Hear, Hear! I completely concur!
Everyone uses keyboard commands for some things. It's just a matter of how far you want to go with it. The more you learn, the more helpful the keyboard in everyday processes. Admittedly, memory is a factor. It's hard to keep a large number of commands in your mind for instant retrieval. The more commands, the more to memorize. I used to be able to remember anything with one exposure to it, but that ability has faded dramatically over the years, so now I keep little "cheat sheets" for various work processes, and put them on little card stands that hold them upright next to my monitor for quick reference while working. You could also do a PDF file and keep it open in the background for reference, but with the cards you don't have to do anything but glance over at them.

I keep the entire Commands Window printed out in a PDF (and on paper) which sometimes I find easier than referencing it in DP. The commands I refer to most are the ones I memorize fastest. Sometimes I couldn't tell you what the command is, but my fingers know it. They just go there. Sure speeds up work.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:I keep the entire Commands Window printed out in a PDF (and on paper)
That's a bit too much for me. I have the commands I think I'm going to use on a single sheet I can put near the monitor. Whenever I use a frequent command I can't remember, I look at the sheet until I remember it.

Here's an old example including all my customized commands from V7, including transport and screensets.

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:I keep the entire Commands Window printed out in a PDF (and on paper)
That's a bit too much for me. I have the commands I think I'm going to use on a single sheet I can put near the monitor. Whenever I use a frequent command I can't remember, I look at the sheet until I remember it.
I think you missed this part:
Shooshie wrote: [...], so now I keep little "cheat sheets" for various work processes, and put them on little card stands that hold them upright next to my monitor for quick reference while working.
The entire PDF stays in a notebook, and I do study it from time to time, though not as much now as I used to. It's where I used to get the best ideas for new workflows that get things done which nothing else seems to accomplish.

But day-to-day reference? Those are my little cards. I've shared links to them many times in the forum.

Shooshie
frankf

Post by frankf »

There are a bunch of new 9.02 Commands. Check out the Track Selector and Continuous Data groups. Quite a few of these use default commands that conflict with my custom commands and I've had to spend some time adjusting, but are all welcome to my workflow. Shooshie, me thinks you're going to need a new printout, if not now, then soon after the completion of the roll out.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

HCMarkus wrote:
waxman wrote:I want to Vulcan mind meld Shooshie's brain that stores the tips and tricks...
I think Babs is doing just that… love the new avatar!
Heh-heh, thanks HC. It's all connected to my latest release, Visions of the Future:

https://soundcloud.com/lady-app-titude

Meanwhile, I tried the move-multiple-tracks options, and didn't find them that useful. What I would like to be able to do is to shift-click or command-click and be able to drag tracks wherever I want them in the TO. So simple and intuitive, but not possible, I guess.

Cheerz,
Babz/Lady App-titude
doodles

Post by doodles »

Completely agree re: commands.

HOWEVER, commands won't fix this problem.
Just checked, and sure enough it only moves tracks to the bottom of the group that it's in.
I can't find a way to move one (or several) tracks down to bottom of whole window, or indeed to "move together" going downwards, rather than up.

Not a dealbreaker, but it would be amazingly handy for me!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

sorry if someone's already answered this, but

to move multiple tracks out of a folder and then to the bottom of the TO window. ... cmd select the tracks inside the folder and the conductor track; then hit ⇧⌥↖ to bring together at the top of the TO. Then cmd deselect the conductor track (leaving the moved tracks 'selected') and hit ⇧↘ to move them to the bottom of the TO

:D
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm liking the temporary folder approach
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sean Kenny wrote:sorry if someone's already answered this, but

to move multiple tracks out of a folder and then to the bottom of the TO window. ... cmd select the tracks inside the folder and the conductor track; then hit ⇧⌥↖ to bring together at the top of the TO. Then cmd deselect the conductor track (leaving the moved tracks 'selected') and hit ⇧↘ to move them to the bottom of the TO

Thanks for this Sea, but doesn't really count as a short cut! :lol: If you've got a template of around 800 tracks, try selecting a few, then scrolling all the way to the top to find the conductor track, then cmnd click, then the various keys, then hit various keys to get them to the bottom, then go and find the track you want, alt click and select "move tracks together". It's going to take ages and balls up! Whereas the beautiful command on ctrl click "move tracks together" is just awesome. But it only moves tracks upwards (not downwards) :roll:

Thanks though!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Unless I'm missing something, it's not possible to use control+page up/down, or to otherwise move track folders containing tracks, except to nest them inside other track folders.

(One note: All my tracks—except for Conductor and 2-Bip—are in folders.)

Am I missing something?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net