MOTU @ NAMM?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FutureLegends
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU @ NAMM?

Post by FutureLegends »

I actually switched to Logic for song writing because Logic worked so much better than DP with the VIs I own. I still haven't updated to DP9 as I mostly do video these days and not much music.
The claim that the update will make DP9 the most efficient DAW in regards to VIs is a very bold and very interesting one though! Will be exciting to hear about it when it comes out. So far the one feature of DP9 I want/need is Retina display support, but this can change things! ;)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FutureLegends wrote:I actually switched to Logic for song writing because Logic worked so much better than DP with the VIs I own. I still haven't updated to DP9 as I mostly do video these days and not much music.
The claim that the update will make DP9 the most efficient DAW in regards to VIs is a very bold and very interesting one though! Will be exciting to hear about it when it comes out. So far the one feature of DP9 I want/need is Retina display support, but this can change things! ;)
What I find interesting is that their demos used Kontakt for all their instruments. I think he said they were using Cinesamples. In the past, I think you'd have seen a lot of Mach Five instances, instead. This puts MOTU on a solid, reality-based footing, as opposed to pretending that Mach Five is the equal of Kontakt. That's a debate for another thread, but you can't deny that nearly everyone's using Kontakt, and almost nobody uses Mach Five except for special purposes, like building your own sample library. Just knowing that they are using real-world metrics builds my confidence, and no doubt will be more convincing to others as well.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

What I find interesting is that their demos used Kontakt for all their instruments. I think he said they were using Cinesamples. In the past, I think you'd have seen a lot of Mach Five instances, instead. This puts MOTU on a solid, reality-based footing, as opposed to pretending that Mach Five is the equal of Kontakt. That's a debate for another thread, but you can't deny that nearly everyone's using Kontakt, and almost nobody uses Mach Five except for special purposes, like building your own sample library. Just knowing that they are using real-world metrics builds my confidence, and no doubt will be more convincing to others as well.
I only compose orchestral music, and these days, ALL my orchestral libraries (Cinesamples, Spitfire, Orchestral Instruments, Project Sam, Audiobro, Cinematic Strings, and more) run on Kontact. I like Kontact, and I don't have to deal with a dongle to use it. It's fantastic knowing that the CPU efficiency in DP will be getting much, much better.

Mike
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Just to clarify and confirm I am understanding correctly: When MOTU says a future update will cut latency in half, does that apply to audio going in and out of DP, or only to VI's? I use DP to mix audio for our live show, and cutting the latency in half would be wonderful! I could double my buffer size and reduce audio glitches without increasing latency! Any opinions?

Doug
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote:Just to clarify and confirm I am understanding correctly: When MOTU says a future update will cut latency in half, does that apply to audio going in and out of DP, or only to VI's? I use DP to mix audio for our live show, and cutting the latency in half would be wonderful! I could double my buffer size and reduce audio glitches without increasing latency! Any opinions?

Doug
in and out of DP, which of course cuts VIs in half as well.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bralston

Post by bralston »

Shooshie wrote: Any news about DP Control for iOS?

Shooshie
I asked that question. And got my favorite response, that in my experience, always seems positive.

"I can neither confirm or deny any information about possible iOS apps or DP control development. <smile>."
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Basstrup wrote:Mr Miller DP 9 presentation NAMM https://twitter.com/astrup/status/690240513870401536
this link seems to have timed-out. anyone know of any other links to this video?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

williemyers wrote:
Basstrup wrote:Mr Miller DP 9 presentation NAMM https://twitter.com/astrup/status/690240513870401536
this link seems to have timed-out. anyone know of any other links to this video?
The above mentioned link to the Sonicstate's video covers the same presentation, AND it has better audio and video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a7ZAiNWk4c

Periscope broadcasts automatically delete themselves after 24 hours, but lives on at http://katch.me/astrup
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Basstrup wrote: Periscope broadcasts automatically delete themselves after 24 hours, but lives on at http://katch.me/astrup
thanks for that link!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MOTU had their own video guys recording it and I'd expect a quality video posted on YouTube before long.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Shooshie wrote:What I find interesting is that their demos used Kontakt for all their instruments. I think he said they were using Cinesamples. In the past, I think you'd have seen a lot of Mach Five instances, instead. This puts MOTU on a solid, reality-based footing, as opposed to pretending that Mach Five is the equal of Kontakt. That's a debate for another thread, but you can't deny that nearly everyone's using Kontakt, and almost nobody uses Mach Five except for special purposes, like building your own sample library. Just knowing that they are using real-world metrics builds my confidence, and no doubt will be more convincing to others as well.

Shooshie
This of course does not bode well for the future of MachFive and MOTU. And this is in light of UVI's new M5 replacement everything machine (forgot what it's called).

However, what is exciting about this is that they're using Cinesamples, boasting huge templates, more video hardware support, and a substantial improvement in VI latency coming.. seems like they are hitting on the film/video/scoring/composer folks pretty hard. I've always thought this was DP's strong point anyway.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
billf

Post by billf »

Killahurts wrote:
Shooshie wrote:What I find interesting is that their demos used Kontakt for all their instruments. I think he said they were using Cinesamples. In the past, I think you'd have seen a lot of Mach Five instances, instead. This puts MOTU on a solid, reality-based footing, as opposed to pretending that Mach Five is the equal of Kontakt. That's a debate for another thread, but you can't deny that nearly everyone's using Kontakt, and almost nobody uses Mach Five except for special purposes, like building your own sample library. Just knowing that they are using real-world metrics builds my confidence, and no doubt will be more convincing to others as well.

Shooshie
This of course does not bode well for the future of MachFive and MOTU. And this is in light of UVI's new M5 replacement everything machine (forgot what it's called).

However, what is exciting about this is that they're using Cinesamples, boasting huge templates, more video hardware support, and a substantial improvement in VI latency coming.. seems like they are hitting on the film/video/scoring/composer folks pretty hard. I've always thought this was DP's strong point anyway.
+1

I moved over to Kontakt + Omnisphere as my main VI template some time ago, but still use M5 for special situations. I have no interest in the UVI offerings at this point, so the direction DP is going looks great. Perhaps MOTU will partner with Cinesamples for a future version of M5, but regardless, going with Kontakt and Omnisphere seems the prudent thing to do.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Michael Canavan

billf wrote:I moved over to Kontakt + Omnisphere as my main VI template some time ago, but still use M5 for special situations. I have no interest in the UVI offerings at this point, so the direction DP is going looks great. Perhaps MOTU will partner with Cinesamples for a future version of M5, but regardless, going with Kontakt and Omnisphere seems the prudent thing to do.
Cinesamples have never made a plug in, whereas UVI always made a player for their samples, just saying.

I'm also glad they used Cinesamples, because their libraries are the only ones that have ever easily crushed my CPU. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
billf

Post by billf »

Michael Canavan wrote: Cinesamples have never made a plug in, whereas UVI always made a player for their samples, just saying.
So? Sorry, I don't understand your point. Why would I care that Cinesamples does not make a player? I have Kontakt for that.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Michael Canavan

billf wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote: Cinesamples have never made a plug in, whereas UVI always made a player for their samples, just saying.
So? Sorry, I don't understand your point. Why would I care that Cinesamples does not make a player? I have Kontakt for that.
I was commenting on this:
Perhaps MOTU will partner with Cinesamples for a future version of M5, but regardless, going with Kontakt and Omnisphere seems the prudent thing to do.
I've been very curious about the whole Falcon=MachFive4 thing and am firmly convinced at this point that MachFive3 is the last we will see of that plug in. I guess I just didn't catch that you think MOTU will continue with MachFive, (they would have to literally recode it from the ground up to do this), and it sounded like you expect Cinesamples to help out? As far as I know Cinesamples are using the proprietary Kontakt format that prevents other samplers from using the library, hence the nice built in GUIs in Kontakt etc.
IMO with the latest from UVI at NAMM and MOTU's own lack of using M53 as a plug in for their demos at NAMM says everything about the obvious end of the M5 line. Spectrasonics partnered with UVI and ended up spending years recoding Atmosphere into OmniSphere< I'm not so sure MOTU will do that with MachFive, everything points to probably not.