MOTU @ NAMM?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU @ NAMM?

Post by BobK »

It all looks great!

Lower latency, next-gen pre-gen, the View menu, key commands for changing sequences/chunks, being able to type in values for send knobs (been wanting this one for a long time).

Go MOTU!
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I'm excited about the imminent release as well.. I love the organization improvements in Tracks Overview!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

And one more thing.. I think this is the first time I can remember MOTU giving us a hint of what they are working on for future releases. I really, really like this new approach.. and not just because I can look forward to HAVING MY LATENCY CUT IN HALF IN A FUTURE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Nah, has nothing to do with it.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Very impressive. Nice productivity updates in 9.02, but that "around the corner" announcement is a game-changer.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Question: other than reading about it here will there be anything like an email blast letting us know when 9.02 is available for download?

Sidebar:
For those of us on the US East Coast - stay safe and don't travel with this monster snowstorm coming our way; NJ where I live is supposed to get hit real hard.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I always get an email from MOTU on such updates, but it always comes long after I've heard about here, read about it in SOS, etc. If you use a newsreader, you can subscribe to the MOTU RSS feeds and get a notification as soon as something appears on their website. (Assuming they're keeping these up to date)

http://www.motu.com/other/rss-feeds
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

musicman691 wrote:Question: other than reading about it here will there be anything like an email blast letting us know when 9.02 is available for download?
I wish I hadn't of held off upgrading to 9 now our Canadian dollar has gone to crap I'd have to pay double to upgrade now.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

NEW VIDEO FROM NAMM: Nick from Sonicstate visits the MOTU booth. DP 9 and AVB coverage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-a7ZAiNWk4c
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:NEW VIDEO FROM NAMM: Nick from Sonicstate visits the MOTU booth. DP 9 and AVB coverage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-a7ZAiNWk4c

Wow! There are several game changers in that video. You know, back in the 90s, using DP was cool. I predict that soon it's going to be cool again. Of course, for some of us it never stopped being cool. But you can't get THAT far ahead of the pack without people noticing.

Fantastic stuff. I wish I were 25 again! It would be great to be starting out with a career doing this stuff, with all the capabilities we have now. In the 80s and 90s, it seemed to be about how much you could patch together and get out of what was available at the time, which wasn't much. Things were so primitive then, compared with now. People who did MIDI Show Control, for example, were considered pioneering explorers. The thing we used to hear the most was "you can't do that," but if you stayed with it and figured it out, you usually learned that you COULD do that, but that most people had not bothered learning how.

Now, it seems there's little you can't do. Soon, you'll have automatic latency compensation on hardware sends, plus little HW send plugins that make it easy. The time code plugin is intriguing. Does that mean you can do that without going into master or slave mode? Something once so mysterious and powerful, now simple (and still powerful).

Any news about DP Control for iOS?

Shooshie

PS: Reducing latency by 50%? That's just amazing. All those VIs running without budging the CPU meter? What the heck did they do? Is that Pre-Gen? I guess so. Next-Gen Pre-Gen. Ok, I can't wait to see that.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Hardware inserts - cool as others have mentioned. Will this ping for latency and adjustment work with non-MOTU interfaces as well? I can do hw inserts in PT but have to manually do the ping and calculation if I'm not using an Avid interface.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There is a "chirp" button that apparently sends a signal that is used to set the latency during the setup of the hardware send. That should work on any signal path DP can see, regardless of the interface.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:There is a "chirp" button that apparently sends a signal that is used to set the latency during the setup of the hardware send. That should work on any signal path DP can see, regardless of the interface.
Sounds good, especially if indeed it does all the calculations and settings for you.
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Shooshie wrote:Wow! There are several game changers in that video.
Yes that's great stuff. It should be called DP 9.1 at least thought, 9.02 sounds like they just changed the splash screen or something ;)

Impressive new features. I can't wait to see the new latency at work. Well done MOTU...again! :)
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

Well, let's see how I did...
I don't think we'll see a new version of DP (even a .5 would be too much to expect), but an updated DP Control iOS app would be great to see.
FAIL! But in this case, I don't mind being wrong.
Also, an enhanced version of the included Sampler plug-in could be useful. Not a free version of Mach 5, but something a little more flexible for those times you don't need the power and feature set of a Mach 5 or Kontakt. Now that we have the MX4 synth, some additional patch banks for it might appear. I don't think the current included patches show what it's capable of.
Again, wrong! Having lower latency is more valuable to me than another sampler, though. I'm excited about this.
On the hardware side, a new audio interface which incorporates ports for an iOS device (or 2) could allow for integrating iOS synths and apps more easily into one's workflow.
Three strikes, I'm out! (But I could use something like a Microbook Iic with MIDI!)
Should be interesting..
Well, at least I got one right!
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I LOVE the idea of being able to hide tracks that don't have data when you are mixing.

What a fabulous idea, especially for people with huge templates!

I'm curious about the third-party video support?

Would using one of these boxes take any strain off of DP, or is it just another I/O for video?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro