MOTU @ NAMM?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU @ NAMM?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

All true, OTOH, M5 was coded from the ground up before,so why not again? People are acting like Falcon is the last sampler to ever be released. I predict that at least one more sampler will emerge eventually and it might even be called Mach Five. Or not. :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

Michael Canavan wrote:
billf wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote: Cinesamples have never made a plug in, whereas UVI always made a player for their samples, just saying.
So? Sorry, I don't understand your point. Why would I care that Cinesamples does not make a player? I have Kontakt for that.
I was commenting on this:
Perhaps MOTU will partner with Cinesamples for a future version of M5, but regardless, going with Kontakt and Omnisphere seems the prudent thing to do.
I've been very curious about the whole Falcon=MachFive4 thing and am firmly convinced at this point that MachFive3 is the last we will see of that plug in. I guess I just didn't catch that you think MOTU will continue with MachFive, (they would have to literally recode it from the ground up to do this), and it sounded like you expect Cinesamples to help out? As far as I know Cinesamples are using the proprietary Kontakt format that prevents other samplers from using the library, hence the nice built in GUIs in Kontakt etc.
IMO with the latest from UVI at NAMM and MOTU's own lack of using M53 as a plug in for their demos at NAMM says everything about the obvious end of the M5 line. Spectrasonics partnered with UVI and ended up spending years recoding Atmosphere into OmniSphere< I'm not so sure MOTU will do that with MachFive, everything points to probably not.
For the record, I did not say that I think MOTU will continue with M5, rather I said it is possible that MOTU could partner with another sample library house (such as Cinesamples) in some future iteration. Either way, it doesn't matter to me because my libraries are mainly on Kontakt, and I have M5 around for speciality situations. I find Omnisphere quite useful, I have Alchemy in Logic Pro, and plenty of other synths including hardware. So I'm set for now.

Other than that, I'm not jumping onto the Falcon bandwagon because I simply have no interest in the UVI offerings. Maybe that will change at some point, but for now, I'm set.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:All true, OTOH, M5 was coded from the ground up before,so why not again? People are acting like Falcon is the last sampler to ever be released. I predict that at least one more sampler will emerge eventually and it might even be called Mach Five. Or not. :unicorn:
Actually they stated at NAMM that the UVI engine in Falcon is the same line that they've been developing since Spectrasonics Atmosphere, then MOTU MachFive, now UVI Falcon. So before MacFive the same code was used in Atmosphere, Trillion, and Stylus RMX. The link I posted in the Falcon thread talks with Oliver from UVI, one of the developers of Falcon about this. Yes, I'm fully nerding out about this stuff! :oops:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I use Kontakt for all my libraries except the sampled voices and instrument sets I've created myself over the years. If (when) M5 starts the demise, I will have to figure out how to get those sets converted into Kontakt, something I have not had great success with in the past (Loops don't work right, stereo samples playback in mono, etc.).

I don't want Falcon, and it's not just the money.

I do wish, however, that I had purchased the stand-alone UVI Time Stretch when it was on sale in the fall. That to me is the best part of MachFive- the only real feature I used, other than playing back custom samples.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
billf

Post by billf »

Killahurts wrote:I use Kontakt for all my libraries except the sampled voices and instrument sets I've created myself over the years. If (when) M5 starts the demise, I will have to figure out how to get those sets converted into Kontakt, something I have not had great success with in the past (Loops don't work right, stereo samples playback in mono, etc.).
That is my scenario too. If M5 works on El Cap, there's no immediate worry and time for alternative solutions to appear. Maybe DSP-Quattro is something to look at deeper for these types of things.
Killahurts wrote:I do wish, however, that I had purchased the stand-alone UVI Time Stretch when it was on sale in the fall. That to me is the best part of MachFive- the only real feature I used, other than playing back custom samples.
M5 uses the IRCAM tech, and you can get the IRCAM app at AudioDeluxe for $99

http://audiodeluxe.com/products/ircam-lab-ts

As an alternative, Melodyne 4 was just released, but I'm not sure yet if that is a good alternative solution. Logic Pro X has time stretching, so that is another possibility. And of course M5 continues to work for now.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If M5 works on El Cap,
and it does…
As an alternative, Melodyne 4 was just released, but I'm not sure yet if that is a good alternative solution
Yes. I have it but have not tested that feature.

There was a thread about Twisted Wave with its time stretch feature. I bought it for its file conversion functionality and never tested time stretch (with Melodyne Studio 4 and MachFive 3, it's unlikely I ever will). The word is that it's not as good as the IRCAM Time Stretch.
https://twistedwave.com/mac.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro