Outboard compression issues...!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Templeislandsound
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Outboard compression issues...!!

Post by Templeislandsound »

Hi
Question…
I am running a hybrid system analog and digital…
Running mics into the board for the pe amps and then going into the Motu 2408 MK3 inputs.
24 channels all together.
I am grabbing the full mix at the boards main mix output going onto a patch bay to patch the signal into outboard analog compression.
everything is routed correctly all through the external fx chain.
Now the trick is to get the compressed signal back into the Motu 2408 MK3 to record the final mix.
I am at a dead end …
The problem is you have to play the 2 track mix in Digital Performer and the output plays on analog track outs 1and 2 stereo.
I keep getting a feedback loop with everything I try. you can’t mute or turn down the fader because it feeds the output .
What in the hell do i need to do to accomplish this final mix?
Is there a routing issue I am missing in the PCI 424 setup?
After spending 48 hours of wiring and re wiring I am open to all suggestions to accomplish this..
Should not be this hard!!

What am I missing?

Thank you!!
Bob :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Don T
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Outboard compression issues...!!

Post by Don T »

Hello,
On my board I can use any number of return paths. Any path I am using for an external routing is not routed to the analog board main L-R. Just out to the channel, insertion patch out/in for the comp then direct out back to the interface. I can solo the ext routing for adjustments but I am mostly monitoring the main stereo outs from the interface.
All DP tracks output set to 2408 out 3-4 to analog channels > insert comp of choice > channel direct out > 2408 in 3-4 > armed tracks in DP > master fader L-R > 2408 1-2 out > std monitor path. As long as I do not sum signals at any point in the analog or digital signal chain, I'm good.

OR
use your std routing and monitoring.
DP tracks bused and side chain aux as usual to master fader > 2408 out 1-2 > patched to analog channels >insert comp > direct out to 2408 inputs 3-4 > DP armed tracks > 2408 output 3-4 > analog monitor path or another pair of channels that are assigned to the L-R mix for monitoring.

OR
Skip the analog board in the sidechain comp routing
2408 out 3-4 > comp > 2408 in 3-4 > DP armed track > 2408 out 1-2 > analog board monitoring.

I hope it's clear, I never want to sum my sidechain channels and my monitor path signal in the analog board nor do I want to sum my DP sidechain path into my master fader along with the uncompressed tracks in the computer. As long as no pre-compressed tracks are mixed or summed into post-compressed tracks anywhere in the signal chain, digital or analog.

Don T.

P.S. It seems to me the only piece missing is patching your analog main mix into the 2408 input 3-4 set to record on an armed track in DP. As long as the track output is NOT set to 2408 output 1-2. Just set it to an unused bus pair that goes nowhere. OR set it to 2408 output 3-4 and patch that somewhere you can monitor it like tape return that does not sum into the main L-R mix. Even a small Mackie or Behringer mixer has a tape return path than can be routed to monitor without summing into the main L-R.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness