How is the FET-76 Plugin?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

How is the FET-76 Plugin?

Post by Todzilla »

Of all the differences between DP 8 & 9, this is the one most compelling (I already have MX-4). I'm wondering just how good the FET-76 is and the extent to which it could push me to upgrade.

As a point of reference, I have the Stillwell Rocket, which is an 1176 emulation that I like very much and rely on quite a bit. So, is the FET-76 really good? How does it compare to the Stillwell Rocket?

Thanks in Advance,

-Todzilla
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
musicman691

Re: How is the FET-76 Plugin?

Post by musicman691 »

Todzilla wrote:Of all the differences between DP 8 & 9, this is the one most compelling (I already have MX-4). I'm wondering just how good the FET-76 is and the extent to which it could push me to upgrade.

As a point of reference, I have the Stillwell Rocket, which is an 1176 emulation that I like very much and rely on quite a bit. So, is the FET-76 really good? How does it compare to the Stillwell Rocket?

Thanks in Advance,

-Todzilla
First off let me say I don't have the Rocket. That being said there are several differences between the Rocket and the FET76. The FET76 is a literal clone of an 1176 - there's no threshold control or parallel compression controls like on the Rocket. If those are important to you and that's the only thing that would push you to go to DP9 I'd have to think hard about it. It's okay for what it is but I have other 1176 clones I'd use first.

That being said there's a lot more in DP9 that makes it easier for me to work in than there was in DP8, not to mention I didn't have MX4 that I went for DP9. I like how DP has joined the rest of the Mac universe in the undo and track selection bits for just a couple of reasons.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Phil O »

Todzilla wrote:So, is the FET-76 really good? How does it compare to the Stillwell Rocket?
I didn't even know the Rocket was an 1176 emulation, I use both UAD's 1176 and Stillwell's Rocket at times and find them different. The rocket is my go to compressor when I need side chain (It just works flawlessly in DP), so perhaps I've never compared them head to head. I have, however, compared the UAD 1176 to the FET-76 and found them to be VERY close, with the caveat that the controls are not in the same position for both plugins while obtaining a similar sound. I don't know why, that's just the way it is. I do think, though, that MOTU's emulation is quite good!

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

The MOTU 1176 seemed a tiny bit more aggressive than the UAD. Sometimes I desire this, so I use both! :)
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Phil O wrote:
Todzilla wrote:So, is the FET-76 really good? How does it compare to the Stillwell Rocket?
I didn't even know the Rocket was an 1176 emulation, I use both UAD's 1176 and Stillwell's Rocket at times and find them different. The rocket is my go to compressor when I need side chain (It just works flawlessly in DP), so perhaps I've never compared them head to head. I have, however, compared the UAD 1176 to the FET-76 and found them to be VERY close, with the caveat that the controls are not in the same position for both plugins while obtaining a similar sound. I don't know why, that's just the way it is. I do think, though, that MOTU's emulation is quite good!

Phil
Which of the UAD 1176 emulations did you use? There's the original, the CLA 'signature' ones, etc. I've learned with various developers doing the same plugin that more often than not the control settings will not match from one to the other and a lot of that, I think, has to do with what specific variation of the 1176 they're modeling.

edit for additional:
Thanks to this thread I've been introduced to Stillwell plugins and the Rocket. Looks like some good stuff at a great price.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks to this thread I've been introduced to Stillwell plugins and the Rocket. Looks like some good stuff at a great price.
Definitely one of the best kept secrets out there which is too bad. Companies like that deserve to flourish. Before some of the more sophisticated loudness tools came onto the market, Event Horizon was a must-have for many. I really liked Spectro and schOPE for analysis.
http://www.stillwellaudio.com/

They even have an interesting freebie in Bitter:
http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/bitter/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

Killahurts wrote:The MOTU 1176 seemed a tiny bit more aggressive than the UAD. Sometimes I desire this, so I use both! :)
I don't have the Rocket, and I agree the MOTU FET seems a bit more aggressive than the UAD. That being said the UAD is not only one but rather three different revisions as you know. I don't know which revision of the 1176 the FET is based on, maybe someone at NAMM will know, I'll ask.

So far I've only tried FET 76 a couple of times and found it's very easy to overdrive, which is rather different from the UAD ones, but that's just like the ones in my rack, some seems more sensitive than others. So like in the analog world there's a learning curve getting to know the plug ins. I just used FET 76 on a fretless bass, as it added more distortion that the UADs I must say on this mix I preferred MOTU's.

just my .02 Euros
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Basstrup wrote:That being said the UAD is not only one but rather three different revisions as you know.
Yes, and one of those (I think the blue striped one) allows for a 2:1 compression ratio, a feature the FET 76 and any other 1176 plugins I've seen, don't have. Sometimes this is perfect for vocals, or other things where you want that flavor, but don't necessarily want to smash it.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

If the 1176LN shown in the MOTU video https://youtu.be/Eh2Ogmd91a4 is in fact the one that was used to emulate it's a fairly new 1176 as you can momentarily get a glimpse at the front plate of the opened unit at 1:30 it says Classics next to the UA logo above the meter which is the version that still currently is in production. :unicorn:

The 1176 with the smooth 2:1 ratio is the special Anniversary Edition
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Like many I run more than just one daw; my other is ProTools 11.3.1 Something I noticed when I installed Rocket is the order of presets - in PT they are alphabetical and in DP 9.01 they're in some kind of order that I can't quite fathom (usage type maybe?). Not saying either is bad - it's just an oddity I noticed.

I'm really liking Rocket for the character it can bring to a track. I'm usually not a 'character plugin' type person but this has changed my mind.